Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: lpd8 mapping help

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi everyone,
I'm using two lp8's and what I'm trying to do is have one of them to control the effects (let's say Pad1-BeatGrid and Pad2-FlippinDouble) and the other to control which deck the effect goes to (say Pad1-deck1 and Pad2-deck2)...

Can I do it with separate def files or do I need both lpd8's under one?

If I need just one def file could you please post how would it look like (I mean the header)?

And finally how would I map it?
(Can I use shift button to choose the deck like - deck1=set 'shift1' and deck2=set 'shift2' and than map the effect button as - var 'shift1' ? effect 'BeatGrid' active : var 'shift2' ? effect 'BeatGrid' active : nothing ?)

Thanks in advance...

Posted Tue 03 Apr 12 @ 10:07 pm
You're better off making two different mappers, but in theory if you download my lpd8 devie mapper (the help file is the .lpd file that assigns midi) and set both devices the same, keep one on program 2 and one on program 1 and it should work.

Posted Tue 03 Apr 12 @ 10:38 pm
you should be able to do what you are suggesting by changing the channel the controllers operate on and duplicating the addresses in triple9's definition file... and change the name for the second one, that is as easy a putting something infront of the existing name using find and replace..

just find --> name="

replace with --> name="lpd2_

so for example a line for the second lpd shoud look like

Posted Tue 03 Apr 12 @ 10:54 pm
yeah, that's not a bad idea. It's tough to know which one is which. I run into the issue often when I hook up CDJ2000's.

Posted Wed 04 Apr 12 @ 12:02 am
Thanks a lot for your quick answers...
I had enough yesterday, but I've just tried it when I came home from work today...

Your mapper dj triple9 looks a little simplier than what I used ( Slimfams def & mapper) but I think overall it is the same... Only I don't understand why you put 4 different channels for just one lpd8 (please explain if there's a special reason)..

I think I've got over your suggestions when I've got the second lpd8 (about month ago) and I've tried to map both.
I used just two channels, one for each lpd8 and it worked fine (I had fx for deck 1 and 2 on prog1 pads, cues on cc's, fx for deck 3 and 4 on pads on prog2, etc.) And I named each one differently using 1 and 2. Also with different sysex id 01 and 02 (from miditrace)

But I find it too complicated to switch between programs and cc's vs. pads (also the led's work only as blinkfast and just on prog1 pads) so I figured that I would use one lpd for choosing which deck the fx goes to (say pad1=deck1, pad2=deck2, pad3=deck3, pad4=deck4) with led's blinkfast if the deck is chosen (want to be able to use fx for more than one deck simultaneously) and the other lpd for choosing fx..

What I understand from your answer Synthet1c is that I can put them both under one def file and one map file using duplicated button names with corresponding channel number.
I am not sure though how the header should look like.
Would this be ok?
<device name="Lpd8 1" device name="Lpd8 2" author="tchugy" type="MIDI" decks="2" sysexid="F07E??06024775001900000066000000000000000000000000000000000000000000F7">
for def file

and
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<mapper device="Lpd8 1" mapper device="Lpd8 2" author="tchugy" description="Lpd8 1" description="Lpd8 2" version="605" date="20/2/2012">
for map file

And than how would I map the buttons (for choosing the deck and fx).. Is the previous example alright?

Anyway I keep trying meanwhile...
Thanks guys again, apprecciate your help...

Posted Wed 04 Apr 12 @ 7:38 pm
you are doubling all the controls and changing the channels so you can define and map the two controllers individually in the same file.

you should be able to use

"device_side 'left'? left lpd : right lpd"

but it would be a little more involved. with the first method you can just copy and paste the body of the definition into a blank document and batch edit everything (names & channel), then paste it all back together, should take less than 5 minutes to put together.

I have an mpk mini which has a control editor I assume the lpd has the same, so you would just need to plug in one of the lpds and change the channels and upload to the controller.

an example of the second method is, if you want the left one to activate an effect and the right to select deck 1 (shift1)

device_side 'left'? var 'shift1' ? deck left effect 'BeatGrid' active : var 'shift2' ? deck right effect 'BeatGrid' active : nothing : set 'shift1' 1 & set 'shift2' 0

Posted Wed 04 Apr 12 @ 7:58 pm
As far as the channels I think I've got that all set... I assigned them in Audio Midi Setup app and in Lpd editor as well...

Now the script you wrote: (I understand more the second method)

device_side 'left' - do I need to specify it anywhere (leftlpd/rightlpd) or is it done automaticaly

and again about the header - can I put device name (mapper name, description) twice in there?

And also if I map this for say left device pad, do I put anything in for the right device pad ( reverse it?) ?

One more thing :)
What exactly this means? set 'shift1' 1 & set 'shift2' 0

Posted Wed 04 Apr 12 @ 8:56 pm
Im pretty sure you only want one definition file and mapper, but if you double everything in the definition it won't matter...

for the second method you just leave everything as it is... if you look at the colors the blue section is the left lpd, and the red is the right...

also if setting and querying any variables they need to be global by putting a $ sign before the name eg. (var '$shift') or (set '$shift')

Posted Wed 04 Apr 12 @ 9:06 pm
Ok man, I' sorry but I'm not sure I understand you...

First - yes I want to have just one file preferably

Second - "but if you double everything in the definition it won't matter..." well I thought that's what I need to do - double all button names in def file and mapping file as well, and what do you mean by "it won't matter" ?

Finally - I understood the colors and also know about "$" symbol from wiki... What I'm not sure about is what button do I assign your script to (to make it clear - say prog1 pad1 should have fx on left device and prog1 pad1 should set the deck on right device - so than if I assign your script to left device pad1 what do I put for right device pad1?)

Thanks for your time...

Posted Wed 04 Apr 12 @ 10:22 pm
that is exactly what the last script does... you can do it on any pad, and you don't need to modify anything in the definition... just do the device_side 'left' variable on all the pads and it will seperate the controller to left and right.

I personally wouldn't use this

set '$shift1' 1 & set '$shift2' 0

but if you are wanting 'shift1' to be the left deck, and 'shift2' to the right deck that is how you have to do it. The niumber that follows the variable name is a binary switch, 1 is on, 0 is off.

to do the other one you need to map

set '$shift1' 0 & set '$shift2' 1

Posted Wed 04 Apr 12 @ 10:40 pm
everything's clear now..
Thanks a bunch...
Wil try it after work today...

Posted Thu 05 Apr 12 @ 7:23 am
Still trying :(...

Seems like nothing is going to work..

So I tried the " device_side 'left' " , changed the set-up in AudioMidi Setup app (put both lpd's under one device and one channel), aslo changed the akai editor, having just one def file(no doubling) and one map file but with no luck... Not a single button or knob reacted...

I also tried doubling everything - having one def and map file (with buttons named like: (left)name="PAD SC1 Pad1" and (right)name="PAD SC1 Pad1_2" ), changing back the AudioMidi Setup (put both lpd's under one device but two channels) akai editor as well - with this I could at least control something... Actually everithing that doesn't include the shift button ('set' and 'var' as well)

So I think I need to change the "set 'shift' " buttons - tried '1' and '0' , also without anything just 'set', then 'while_pressed', isrepeat, but nothing works

I want to use it on 4 decks (not just 2) skin and I'm not sure how to map it (also changed shift names to 'deck_1_shift' ; 'deck_2_shift' etc...) Not sure if I can send the fx to multiple decks at same time or not (binary switch '1' and '0' - do I have to turn the other three off when setting one on???)...

I mapped left one so that pad 1-4 is turning off all fx on deck 1-4 (works fine), pad 5-8 to set shift for deck 1-4 (not working) , the knobs are four for deck 1-4 key and other four for deck 1-4 filter(works fine). The right one has fx on all 8 pads and knob are effect sliders 1-8 and should activete fx (or select fx if holding) if 'set button' has been pressed

For better understanding here's what I've got for "set shift button"

def:
<device name="LPD8_1&2" author="tchugy" type="MIDI" decks="2" sysexid="F07E??06024775001900000066000000000000000000000000000000000000000000F7">
<button note="0x04" name="PAD SC1 Pad5" channel="2" />
<led note="0x04" name="LED_PAD SC1 Pad5" default="PAD SC1 Pad5" channel="2" />

map:
<map value="PAD SC1 Pad5" action="set "deck_1_shift"" />
not sure how to map LED

and for "fx button"

def:
<button note="0x04" name="PAD SC1 Pad5_2" channel="1" />
<led note="0x04" name="LED_PAD SC1 Pad5_2" default="PAD SC1 Pad5_2" channel="1" />

map:
<map value="PAD SC1 Pad5_2" action="var "deck_1_shift" ? deck 1 effect "FlippinDouble" active & var "deck_2_shift" ? deck 2 effect "FlippinDouble" active & var "deck_3_shift"? deck 3 effect "FlippinDouble" active & var "deck_4_shift" ? deck 4 effect "FlippinDouble" active : nothing" />

<map value="LED_PAD SC1 Pad5_2" action="var "deck_1_shift" ? deck 1 effect "FlippinDouble" active ? on blinkfast : var "deck_2_shift" ? deck 2 effect "FlippinDouble" active ? on blinkfast : var "deck_3_shift" ? deck 3 effect "FlippinDouble" active ? on blinkfast : var "deck_4_shift" ? deck 4 effect "FlippinDouble" active ? on blinkfast : off" />

Hope you can find where I went wrong...
Thanks

Posted Fri 13 Apr 12 @ 6:30 pm
Ok I think I've got it...

Found a little bug... I am working in Dreamweaver on my Mac (putting the def and map files together - it's faster for me than in vdj) and when I was

checking the script in vdj (couldn't think of anything else so I started from beginning mapping it on keyboard) I've found out that the script looked

ok in DW but in vdj right on the set 'deck_1_shift' button (also the other 3 'set' buttons) it transcripts the " symbol as &quot...

It did it just on one of them (so in vdj it looked like set "deck_1_shift&qout while_pressed) which is really weired..

Anyway thanks again for your help (Synthet especially)...

Posted Sun 15 Apr 12 @ 9:46 am
XML entities such as " and ' have a special meaning and need to be protected using &quot; and &apos; respectively (Although VirtualDJ isn't strict on this providing that the " and ' balance correctly.)

It looks like the &qout above is typed incorrectly and/or missing the ;

I.e: It should be:

set &quot;deck_1_shift&quot; while_pressed

NOTE: The forum renders &quot; and &apos; into the appropriate characters automatically, so to display them in a forum post, they need to be broken up using a BBcode in the middle of them, e.g: &[/b]quot;

Posted Mon 16 Apr 12 @ 7:19 am
Yes , I think what happened was that I probably copied (or found and replaced) just part of it and then vdj read it separetly...

Thanks for info...

Posted Mon 16 Apr 12 @ 5:53 pm
I need help with one more thing though...

my LED's don't work properly

Here's what I've got:

<map value="LED_PAD SC1 Pad1_2" action="var "$deck_1_shift" ? deck 1 effect "Filters_v2_TexZK" active ? on blinkfast & var "$deck_2_shift" ? deck 2 effect "Filters_v2_TexZK" active ? on blinkfast & var "$deck_3_shift" ? deck 3 effect "Filters_v2_TexZK" active ? on blinkfast & var "$deck_4_shift" ? deck 4 effect "Filters_v2_TexZK" active ? on blinkfast : off" />

But it only works for 'deck_1_shift'... (so when the fx is active and 'deck_1_shift' pressed it blinks otherwise it's off)... I can't get it work for other deck shifts

When I deleted the first one (var 'deck_1_shift') it works just for the second one (var 'deck_2_shift')... so just for the first one in the mapping

Tried also just 'on' or just 'blinfast'

'on blinfast' is the only way it worked (at least for the first deck)

Posted Mon 16 Apr 12 @ 6:04 pm
hey guys can someone help me set up my lpd8 i have it working fine for samplers but i cant make it work for effects, im not so good whit the codes, heres what i want to do: use the program 2 Pads to activate/deactivate my effects on both decks for example, pad 1: cut, pad 2: flanjet, pad 3: flanged loopout and pad 4: Brake effects only on deck B and pads 5,6,7 and 8 to activate and deactivate the same effects on deck A. please i really need this.

Posted Mon 30 Jul 12 @ 11:59 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hi i have a lpd8 and i want to map out the sample i put in vdj 7 sampler box..how do i add each sample from vdj to each pad n lpd8...can anyone help me plz

Posted Sat 08 Nov 14 @ 10:56 am
Please do not post the same message more than once.

Posted Sat 08 Nov 14 @ 11:08 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)