Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: I wonder what this stuff can do for me

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Until recently I really used Virtual DJ the same way I used to used older DJ CD players a while back, ie. just the cue/play control, pitch control, bpm-meter readings and so on, and the only effects I used were the EQ’s to minimize the bass while mixing. So the focus was on which songs to play, in which order, doing ok mixing and that was it

After using Virtual DJ for about 5 years I thought to myself: I wonder if all this on the stuff in there is only fun and games, or if it’s actual useful?

It turns out it is. I now use it all the time.

But yesterday when a young want-to-be-a-DJ guest at a birthday party I was DJ’ing came up to me and asked in which “ways I changed the music” when mixing, it occurred to me, that I pretty much always do the same few tricks.

They generally are:
- Use EQ – still mainly the bass limiting
- Use filter effect while mixing to make it more smooth
- Make extended versions of radio-edit songs, by mixing into a loop
- Have a few in-sync samples of beats that I add to “odd” songs to make them a better fit to whatever else I’m playing
- Use break or spin-back effects to end a song, maybe ones or twice a night – it gets old very fast

And I think that’s about it. So apart from these few things, I’m really back to: I wonder what all this stuff can do for me

Does anybody want to share how they use the loop, effects and samples in VDJ in more creative ways? Preferably in ways were it only adds nice little things to the mixes, and doesn’t change the songs so much that it annoys the people who booked you for their party :-)

/Klaus

Posted Sun 11 Mar 12 @ 5:09 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)