Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Plugins

Topic: Introducing ButtonBasher midi Plugin for VirtualDJ, Guinea pigs wanted - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Hey all,

@mods: Putting this in the general discussion board hoping to catch a broader audience for testing, later tech discussion will go to the plug-in board. Hope you guys forgive me.

Introducing MidiMasher for VirtualDJ!

The MidiMasher plug-in allows you to assign any button on your controller (or skin) to a midi note on a specific midi channel on a specific midi device, creating whole new creative options:

- Drum with along with your tracks or even play piano on your controller
- Trigger Ableton, Cubase whatever through common midi notes
- Trigger totally different devices that respond to midi right from your controller, like DMX controllers

Other features:

- Response exactly like a keyboard (note on when pressed note off when released)
- No polyphony limit
- Split up process. Plug-in is lightweight all midi code runs in fully separate process
- Change scale based on key
- Loop bases live sequencer:
--> in sync with tempo and grid
--> Auto quantize
--> Build layer on layer

I now have my working proof of concept ready. The Performance is instant and its looking promising (screenshot below).

So my question to you all, any volunteers to try it when it hits beta?

Thx!

Posted Mon 27 Feb 12 @ 6:33 pm
I'd like to be the first to say yes. I think it will allow me to finally use my iZotope stutter edit. Pm me more info.

Posted Tue 28 Feb 12 @ 10:11 am
@durdeesmurdee

Great you are in, I expect something distributable probably after next weekend. I'll pm you with the details later.

Posted Tue 28 Feb 12 @ 11:25 am
I can just imagine using this plugin mapped to the play_stutter or play...or maybe even ending a track by grabbing it on the cbg to end a track...wow!

Posted Tue 28 Feb 12 @ 12:16 pm
@durdeesmurdee:

You can use it anywhere in your mapper as you like...

The workflow is:

- Define your Tracks (midi output device + channel)
- Define your Buttons (Track, Note, velocity, e.a.)
- Add the following on a button that you would want to use to play a note (where X is button number + 10):

down ? effect 'MidiMasher' slider 1 X% :  effect 'MidiMasher' slider 2 X%

- PLAY :P

The note will play as long as you hold the button. I did this yesterday with the rubber transport buttons of my VCI-400 and mapped it to an old synthesizer module. It feels exactly like a real keyboard and has similar response time!

If you just want enable an effect like with iZotope, just send slider one. To disable it, send slider 2.

Posted Tue 28 Feb 12 @ 12:28 pm
wish I had something to plug it into to test out for you seems like a really cool idea.. also i should let you know that the namehas already been taken.. midimasher

Posted Tue 28 Feb 12 @ 2:06 pm
Arrgggg

I hate the way this unconscious mind works! Now I need to start getting a new name ARGGHHh

Soooo another DJ name thread... well DJ App name thread..

Midi .......

Fill in the dots

Posted Tue 28 Feb 12 @ 2:16 pm
MIDIMONSTER
MIDIMANIA
iMIDI
MIDIX
MIDI_ME
BE_MIDI
MY_MIDI
MIDI SOCKET

iMIDIX

Posted Tue 28 Feb 12 @ 2:24 pm
and dont say FIGHTER

Cause its taken!

Posted Tue 28 Feb 12 @ 2:25 pm
VirtualMJ

Posted Tue 28 Feb 12 @ 2:25 pm
MIDMIX1.0.0. or XIMDIM1.0.0. lol

Posted Tue 28 Feb 12 @ 2:33 pm
Yeah...

Its just gonna be...

ButtonBasher

Posted Tue 28 Feb 12 @ 2:46 pm
Grmblllll *rename all projects* grmbl.. .*rename subversion* grmbls...

Posted Tue 28 Feb 12 @ 2:47 pm
Cool ---- Uncool?

Posted Tue 28 Feb 12 @ 3:00 pm
Sounds cool...I just wanna use it!!!! lol

Posted Tue 28 Feb 12 @ 3:13 pm
JoeyKJPRO InfinityMember since 2008
Sounds Good to me, would be a great idea to post samples of what it can do with an explanation on setup for each sample, so people will catch on quicker...

Posted Wed 29 Feb 12 @ 1:12 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
I've edited the thread title for you too :)

Posted Wed 29 Feb 12 @ 5:46 pm
SBDJ wrote :
I've edited the thread title for you too :)

Thanks SBDJ, its gonna be ButtonBasher midi Plugin (note Basher not Masher) could you ehm.. well perhaps update it again?? Thanks :)

Posted Sat 03 Mar 12 @ 7:47 pm
Some more progress:

The core functionality for live playing is done, all I now need to do is make sure the user interface is monkey proof, which is still requires quite some work.

Currently it supports:

16 tracks, where a track is a midi output device on a specific port
48 buttons to assign, note, velocity and optionally program change

I made a little video to show whats coming. I used the following setup:

- 2nd laptop with ASIO soundcard (actually my old Hercules RMX) hosting two virtual instruments
- Audio out of the instruments into line in source of my VCI-400 and treating it like deck 3
- Mapped six buttons. Basedrum, Snare, Hihat, Wobble synth note C,D and E

I was slightly afraid of latency considering the route of the command after pressing a button (controller -> VirtualDJ -> Plugin -> Basher application -> Midi Interface 1 -> Midi Interface 2 -> Laptop -> VSTi host -> VSTi) But the response is instant!

Below is not a mega performance of course, but is just a demonstration of the current state

Posted Sat 03 Mar 12 @ 8:10 pm
@jboerlage - Which skin is in the background ?

jboerlage wrote :
Hey all,

@mods: Putting this in the general discussion board hoping to catch a broader audience for testing, later tech discussion will go to the plug-in board. Hope you guys forgive me.

Introducing MidiMasher for VirtualDJ!

The MidiMasher plug-in allows you to assign any button on your controller (or skin) to a midi note on a specific midi channel on a specific midi device, creating whole new creative options:

- Drum with along with your tracks or even play piano on your controller
- Trigger Ableton, Cubase whatever through common midi notes
- Trigger totally different devices that respond to midi right from your controller, like DMX controllers

Other features:

- Response exactly like a keyboard (note on when pressed note off when released)
- No polyphony limit
- Split up process. Plug-in is lightweight all midi code runs in fully separate process
- Change scale based on key
- Loop bases live sequencer:
--> in sync with tempo and grid
--> Auto quantize
--> Build layer on layer

I now have my working proof of concept ready. The Performance is instant and its looking promising (screenshot below).

So my question to you all, any volunteers to try it when it hits beta?

Thx!

Posted Tue 06 Mar 12 @ 5:21 am
91%