Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: Need help from U.S.A. I'm doing an event in Portugal For an american crowd

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

rntelesPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Hi

I will have, next month - 3rd March - an event in Portugal with an all american crowd and I need some tips about music since things in Southern Europe and the States are very different.

This is the mail I've received from my client

"SONG LIST:

(Song; Artist)

FIRST DANCE: If I Needed You (Lyle Lovett)

SONGS FOR RECEPTION:

Let's Stay Together (Al Green)

Party in the USA (Miley Cyrus)

Can't Help Falling in Love (Elvis)

At Last (Etta James)

Dancing Queen (ABBA)

Michael Jackson songs

Bust A Move (Young MC)

Hot in Herre (Nelly)

Push It (Salt 'N Pepa)

Save The Last Dance For Me (Michael Buble)...maybe for last dance?

Walk This Way (Run DMC)

What a Wonderful World (Louis Armstrong)

All You Need is Love (Beatles)

Blister in the Sun (Violent Femmes)

One (u2)

NO PROBLEM WITH THOSE

A mis of below sounds good too!!

70’s (Disco) – ex: Abba, Gloria Gaynor, Bee Gees, disco sound generally, etc : I LOVE DISCO! Disco is great for dancing too.

NO PROBLEM WITH THOSE

A light blend of the following three is good too.

80’s (Pop Rock) – ex: Wham, Bryan Adams, John Cougar, Huey Lewis, Depeche Mode, Michael Jackson, etc

NO PROBLEM WITH THOSE

Indie Music (current and 80’s) – ex: Clash, Cure, Blur, Gossip, Arcade Fire, Kaiser Chiefs, etc

BIG PROBLEM WITH THOSE

Current Pop – ex: Black Eyed Peas, Lady Gaga, Bruno Mars, etc

SOME PROBLEM WITH THOSE

We would like a a couple salsa songs too. Lucho may have a few specific titles he likes..

There are a couple of songs I don't want....

DON'T PLAY:
Mustang Sally
Brick House

We want great songs for dancing!!"

I have a problem because the music hits in Portugal and in the States aren't exactly the same and I'm asking from some sugestions from you.

TKX

Posted Tue 14 Feb 12 @ 12:47 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
I would check out the American Billboard charts over the last six to nine months for sections where you are having problems with to get a better idea of what you need. Even UK charts will help a bit.

Really surprised no one has offered to help you out from the American side of the water, even someone thats in Europe on a tour of duty.

Posted Thu 16 Feb 12 @ 2:55 am
Thank you, Tayla.

I´m surprised too. I was hopping that some of the USA guys would give me some advice but, until now... Just nothing.

I'm DJ for more than 20 years and I've played for, british, french, belgians, polish, and groups from all around the world but this is my first all american gig.

I play all kinds of music, but, when we need to play hits, we know that american and european crowds are different.

Even the recent hits aren´t exactly the same.

And indie... Well, is no that easy for me to know what was playing in the states.

Disco and 80's it's OK for me and the guidelines they mailed are enough but the rest... No to easy.

i've been looking at USA charts but i'm not sure that it will be enough. I'm still waiting for some more advices.

Posted Thu 16 Feb 12 @ 8:34 am
You should be able to cobble together enough from the list given .... could be the makings of an awkward crowd though!

Keith

Posted Thu 16 Feb 12 @ 11:03 am
kradcliffe wrote :
You should be able to cobble together enough from the list given .... could be the makings of an awkward crowd though!

Keith

Tank you, Keith

heah, the list given is not so bad but I would like to have some "tricks on my sleeve".

ANd there is anotner problem. The hits aren´t the same. I'll give you an example.

Last summer, "Keemo & Tim Royko Feat. Cosmo Klein - Beautiful Lie" was a mega hit in Portugal and it filled dance floors but I don't even know if it works with american crowd.. And that is true for a lot of music.

Other problem I may have is with recent Indie. Europe and USA are different...

Posted Thu 16 Feb 12 @ 11:16 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)