Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: What do think..........(New Turntable) - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Posted Sat 14 Jan 12 @ 4:22 pm
turntables use is on the decline... thats why the tech 12 are discontinued... i have two TTXs and they are way too heavy to be lugging them around... im an old fart... :)

Posted Sat 14 Jan 12 @ 5:26 pm
I wasn't asking what the future in your opinion was, I wanted to know opinions on or thoughts on a turntable like this...... Well in my town there's only 2 djs who use MIDI controllers, me being one of them. We've had djs come in from Denver (I'm in Iowa), all over the midwest, Minneapolis, and as far as Chicago and not one has ever used a controller.

Turntables are not going anywhere for a long, long time
Huey

Posted Sat 14 Jan 12 @ 5:59 pm
coach kPRO InfinityMember since 2010
beatbreaker1 wrote :
I wasn't asking what the future in your opinion was, I wanted to know opinions on or thoughts on a turntable like this...... Well in my town there's only 2 djs who use MIDI controllers, me being one of them. We've had djs come in from Denver (I'm in Iowa), all over the midwest, Minneapolis, and as far as Chicago and not one has ever used a controller.

Huey

Huey,

You're right TT's aren't going anywhere. Tech 12's may be discontinued, but they're still high in demand!

As for this new Numark, I think it'll be good one, if it can truly benefit us DJ's the way we've desired with Midi's and I hope that is the case

Posted Sat 14 Jan 12 @ 6:36 pm
beatbreaker1 wrote :

Huey

the minute I read the start of the thread I knew the reaction to some....I totally agree with u Bro.I aint throwin out my Stantons away just because...let me put it this way..if u can handle the fundamentals,the old tanks,then you will be better fit with "the new tools of da trade"....

Posted Sat 14 Jan 12 @ 7:55 pm
The reason why techs are discontinued is, Too many people buy them used off of someone else. Why buy new when the techs last longer than the energizer bunny rabit. The features on the Numark TT are good. You can jump cue points off of the deck. I have a pair old 1210 and they are not going anywhere. Theres nothing like the feel playing vinyl on your tables.

Posted Sun 15 Jan 12 @ 2:54 am
I was surprised how in the last few years Technics made mk 3, 4, 5, 5g & 6 I think.

The thing was there was hardly any difference between the different models.

I liked it how Numark built CD players into some of their decks

Posted Sun 15 Jan 12 @ 5:27 am
I agree Charlie, it seems like Numark isn't afraid to take chances like this. In my opinion this has been long over due, sure the dicers are nice but ive always thought there should be tables with this built-in.

Huey

Posted Sun 15 Jan 12 @ 1:42 pm
I know everyones speculating about a unverified image..But i'm surprised at the response

This conceptual unit could have been released decades ago. Anyone familiar with a midi keyboard can verify this..It's just a matter of demand, economics & fusion of hardware & software.

There were micro keyboards / pads with midi in out ports in the 90s eg.. yamaha qy10 & qy20 or yamaha mu5.

The 8 dicer butons / pads = Under one octave keyrange on a midi keyboard.

i'll be generous & presume the turntable platter is encoded to transmit midi = A simple midi keyboard modulation wheel..

Dj mixers had crude built in 8 bit samplers in the 90s & midi trigger pads could have been integrated way back then... Midi pads & encoders could have also been integrated in turntables in the 80's when hardware samplers were common...

I wonder why Technics or it's competitors who were cloning Technics features on their rival products overlooked it ..

I'm an electronic technician so excuse my dismissive nature / anti nostalgic tone .But i dont see anything original here..It's just an integrated device.

Posted Sun 15 Jan 12 @ 8:32 pm
tygaelement wrote :
I know everyones speculating about a unverified image..But i'm surprised at the response

This conceptual unit could have been released decades ago. Anyone familiar with a midi keyboard can verify this..It's just a matter of demand, economics & fusion of hardware & software.

There were micro keyboards / pads with midi in out ports in the 90s eg.. yamaha qy10 & qy20 or yamaha mu5.

The 8 dicer butons / pads = Under one octave keyrange on a midi keyboard.

i'll be generous & presume the turntable platter is encoded to transmit midi = A simple midi keyboard modulation wheel..

Dj mixers had crude built in 8 bit samplers in the 90s & midi trigger pads could have been integrated way back then... Midi pads & encoders could have also been integrated in turntables in the 80's when hardware samplers were common...

I wonder why Technics or it's competitors who were cloning Technics features on their rival products overlooked it ..

I'm an electronic technician so excuse my dismissive nature / anti nostalgic tone .But i dont see anything original here..It's just an integrated device.

I have to agree with you...adding midi to any turntable its not that big of a challenge.manufacturers need to decide to be in a cutting edge or wait for someone else to do it first..

Posted Sun 15 Jan 12 @ 11:09 pm
I can't quote or embed images or links to clarify..

MODS.... I think it's unfair for members to have enhanced posting options based on purchasing..It makes it difficult for others who may be more knowledgeable to communicate effectively...

My last post was quite pessimistic so ill try & be constructive ..

Back on topic....Looking ahead..

we are witnessing the accelerated merging of dj's, musicans , producers..

I would encourage all djs to improve their understanding of electronics. And expand beyond connector types , audio theory & formats..The big boys no longer run the show with disposable gimmicky seasonal products & planned obsolescence....

The diy modding community & smaller companies are far more innovative , flexible & practical to dj's or musicians demands...

I would be happy to contribute to a diy modding section if there was enough interest..

I may even reveal my secrets..

Element..

Posted Mon 16 Jan 12 @ 6:20 am
you can post pictures with te below syntax, just use [these brackets] instead

{img}http://www.url.to.picture.jpg{/img}

you probably just cant store them on vdj's server

Posted Mon 16 Jan 12 @ 6:33 am
I would love to build my own controller. I've done some reading and it seems to me the hardest part is jog wheels.

Huey

Posted Mon 16 Jan 12 @ 10:03 am
steal them off something else, you could probably use the mixtracks guts, but replace the chassis, all the knobs, buttons, slider's & leds with high quality stuff, then you dont have to worry about coding firmware to make everything work... not sure if it would be worth the effort practically speaking considering all the quality controllers out there... still would be cool though..

Posted Mon 16 Jan 12 @ 12:14 pm
I've thought about cracking my Mixdeck open and making the crossfader midi......

Posted Mon 16 Jan 12 @ 12:58 pm

Posted Mon 16 Jan 12 @ 2:20 pm
wrong brackets LOL use [these ones]

Posted Mon 16 Jan 12 @ 2:35 pm
@ synthet1c ...Many thanks

Testing....

Moderator note: corrected to show image.

Keith

Posted Mon 16 Jan 12 @ 2:37 pm

Posted Mon 16 Jan 12 @ 2:45 pm
Their discontinued playstation controllers which can be picked up for minimum cost & easily modded or motorized. The led models come in many colours..

My image links automatically get deleted or fail to show ?

you get the idea ...

element

Posted Mon 16 Jan 12 @ 2:48 pm
91%