Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Plugins

Topic: Skin button to start clipbank with NEXT clip?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I've been looking around the forum to find a script for a button I would like to make.

Here's my problem: everytime you activate the clipbank, it will start from scratch, with the beginning of the first clip. This makes it very repeatitive (?) and boring to view.

Then came the random clipbank plugin. An improvement, to be sure, but not quite the solution. Let me explain:

The solution would be a clipbank that could remember where it left off, and continue the clip there when activated. You could simply have one huge clip (if you wanted) and it would always be a different video showing whenever you activate the clipbank.

I can already see SBDJ's response: not possible due to the VDJ program or ClipBank plugin limitations.

If so, and I'm sure it is because if not the remember position feature would already have been implemented, then how about this:

a button that activates the clipbank, activates the random clipbank, and finally pushes the next clip button in the random clipbank plugin? Would such a button not show a different clip everytime the clipbank was activated?

As simple as it may seem, I have been unable to achieve this action with a single button...

This (and several variations) won't work:
"video_fx_select 'clipbank' & video_fx & video_fx_select 'clipbank_random' & video_fx & video_fx_button1"

Anyone any ideas?

P.S. I'm a big fan of SBDJ's work, so please do not misinterpret this post.

Posted Wed 28 Dec 11 @ 6:05 am

Posted Wed 28 Dec 11 @ 8:50 am
Thanks for the suggestion Huey! But no luck: only seperate on/off buttons for each clip I'm afraid... I want one button to cycle through them all... :(

Posted Wed 28 Dec 11 @ 12:14 pm
Deejay Corny, there is only so much you can do to shoehorn clipbank into doing what you want.

Essential Media pretty much handles all you want natively. Random, remembers selection, script commands for next clip, and more. Another thing is if you have a suggestion I will add it to Essential Media if it makes sense.

http://www.virtualdj.com/addons/12968/Essential_Media.html

Posted Wed 28 Dec 11 @ 1:16 pm
This won't work well either: it skips a clip with every button push...

action="cycle 'clipbank' 12 & video_fx_select 'clipbank' & video_fx & var_equal 'clipbank' 1 ? video_fx_button 1 : var_equal 'clipbank' 2 ? video_fx_button 2 : var_equal 'clipbank' 3 ? video_fx_button 3 : var_equal 'clipbank' 4 ? video_fx_button 4 : var_equal 'clipbank' 5 ? video_fx_button 5 : var_equal 'clipbank' 6 ? video_fx_button 6 : var_equal 'clipbank' 7 ? video_fx_button 7 : var_equal 'clipbank' 8 ? video_fx_button 8 : var_equal 'clipbank' 9 ? video_fx_button 9 : var_equal 'clipbank' 10 ? video_fx_button 10 : var_equal 'clipbank' 11 ? video_fx_button 11 : var_equal 'clipbank' 12 ? video_fx_button 12">

@ Don Moir: cool! Had not seen that yet! Gonna try it out right now! THX!

Posted Wed 28 Dec 11 @ 1:51 pm
@ Don: I just tried out your plugin. It's nice, I like the "fade to black when stopped" feature, but for me it's just a little bit more elegant clipbank (don't need flash or any other format compatibility: everything I have is in mp4) and not worth the price (I would really only be paying for the "next clip" button script)... So I'll be continuing my quest for the next clip script for the clipbank plugin...

This won't work well either:

action="cycle 'clipbank' 12 & video_fx_select 'clipbank' & video_fx & var_equal 'clipbank' 1 ? video_fx_button 1 : var_equal 'clipbank' 2 ? video_fx_button 2 : var_equal 'clipbank' 3 ? video_fx_button 3 : var_equal 'clipbank' 4 ? video_fx_button 4 : var_equal 'clipbank' 5 ? video_fx_button 5 : var_equal 'clipbank' 6 ? video_fx_button 6 : var_equal 'clipbank' 7 ? video_fx_button 7 : var_equal 'clipbank' 8 ? video_fx_button 8 : var_equal 'clipbank' 9 ? video_fx_button 9 : var_equal 'clipbank' 10 ? video_fx_button 10 : var_equal 'clipbank' 11 ? video_fx_button 11 : var_equal 'clipbank' 12 ? video_fx_button 12">

It still skips a clip every button push... What am I doing wrong here?

Anyone?

Posted Wed 28 Dec 11 @ 2:55 pm
THIS WORKS (I simply skipped one digit in the cycle counter):

<button action="video_fx_select 'clipbank' & video_fx & cycle 'clipbank' 23 & var_equal 'clipbank' 1 ? video_fx_button 1 : var_equal 'clipbank' 3 ? video_fx_button 2 : var_equal 'clipbank' 5 ? video_fx_button 3 : var_equal 'clipbank' 7 ? video_fx_button 4 : var_equal 'clipbank' 9 ? video_fx_button 5 : var_equal 'clipbank' 11 ? video_fx_button 6 : var_equal 'clipbank' 13 ? video_fx_button 7 : var_equal 'clipbank' 15 ? video_fx_button 8 : var_equal 'clipbank' 17 ? video_fx_button 9 : var_equal 'clipbank' 19 ? video_fx_button 10 : var_equal 'clipbank' 21 ? video_fx_button 11 : var_equal 'clipbank' 23 ? video_fx_button 12">

BUT IT STILL FEELS LIKE A "WORKAROUND"...

There must be something I am missing, some more elegant, more simple script to call up the next clip in the clipbank with a single button...

Posted Wed 28 Dec 11 @ 3:36 pm
Corny, it actually does a lot more than clipbank besides next etc.

o - size and alpha control as well as support for videos that have alpha transparency in the video and MP4 allows video to have alpha channels. You can't do any of this with clipbank. Videos with alpha transparency can be used to produce cool overlays.

o - support for aspect ratio changes - clipbank only allows stretch.

o - 48 clips active at anyone time and you can load or save them in groups of 48 at a time. Clipbank only allows 12 and no support for loading or saving groups.

o - EM allows audio playback - this can be on or off

o - in general smoother and more accurate playback.

o - True random or sequential playback - this is not possible with the clipbank random plugin because it can only produce a timed display of the video and not actually allow it to play in full.

o - Camera support - It's the only plugin for VDJ that allows you to select the camera resolution and works. I think the camera plugin does attempt to support this but it does not work for me.

o - Essential Media remembers everything about your last state and you don't have to keep dealing with that. Clipbank does remember its state.

o - you have someone that will address your needs that is a full time programmer.

Posted Wed 28 Dec 11 @ 3:44 pm
Like Don said it does waaaay more then just skip. It well worth the investment which I would think is chump change considering what lights and stuff cost, heck I pay more then that a month for video pools!!

Huey

Posted Wed 28 Dec 11 @ 4:04 pm
Sorry, Don: didn't mean to say your plugin is bad or limited. It just doesn't do what I was looking for: EITHER remember where in the clip it was stopped and take off from there when activated OR start the clip following the last played one, i.e: the next clip, each time it is activated...

Your clipbank version is very flexible, which is great: it will suit more DJs needs. But me, well... I'm a very simple guy: i like my things to be easy, quick and simple... The less buttons the better. That's why I LOVE the scripting/skinning posibilities of VDJ: only those buttons in view that I need!!! Flexibiity is wasted on me, I'm afraid... I only have one video format (mp4), one bit rate (2000 Kbps), one aspect ratio (3:4), one resolution (1600x1200), one audio format (mp3), one bit rate (320 Kbps), one sample rate (44,1 MHz), etc. etc. etc. on ALL my media. I love mixing, but not formats, just music and cocktails.
;)

Sorry, but for me it still is just an advanced clipbank and I do not see the need for the extra investment, especially since I don't get paid for dj-ing!!!

It still is a very nice plugin, though ( as are the other ones from your company) !

Posted Wed 28 Dec 11 @ 4:12 pm
Corny, there was no offense taken, just wanted to clarify...

Again, if you need features, all you have to do is ask for EM. The alternative is hoping someone will be able to or will spend the time to do it for free.

Posted Wed 28 Dec 11 @ 4:39 pm
So, do you think the "save state" feature (continue playing where left off) is interesting enough to be implemented in your plugin?

LOL: this forum is for exactly that: people helping/informing people, without any commercial benefit. So here's hoping... ;)

Posted Wed 28 Dec 11 @ 5:28 pm
I don't know about that feature yet Corny, I misunderstood it at first. I was saying that EM remembers that last video play and its easy via script to play the next video. Not sure if it would be weird or not to stop a video in the middle and then sometime later start playing it from that position. Maybe or maybe not. I just haven't given that any thought. If your the only one that thinks this might be good, then it might just add more confusion to the mix. So let others have a say in it.

Yes this forum is about helping, development and otherwise. In some cases EM solves some problems that people have been asking for years. (e.g. more than 12 clips, descent SWF support, Random, etc)

I do look for suggestions in the forums. Programming is one of the most labor intensive jobs there is when it is done correctly. (even when it's not done correctly :) I wish I good pay my bills with kudos but for some reason they don't accept that :)

The thing is, how important is it to you and how long do you wish to wait for a particular feature... You may find yourself waiting and wanting forever which amounts to wasting time and time is money.

EM will continue to evolve with more features.

Hopefully Corny, someone can come up with a solution that will work for you.

Posted Wed 28 Dec 11 @ 5:51 pm
Understood Don. And I agree: if I'm the only one wanting this, it's not a viable feature to invest programming time in. Two things:

1. The reason I want the "continue where last stopped" feature (something that is selectable in any media player nowadays) is that it makes it possible to have one long "theme movie" clip that serves for the whole night. You just stop it and play it "in little chunks" whenever needed... Also: this way, with one bank of 12 slots you might easily be served for all your theme nights! A different theme in each slot.

2. I may want to buy your plugin someday, when I've learned how to make flash movies. The possibilities seem to be endless and the quality can be outstanding...

By the way (just so people don't get the wrong idea): I appreciate the great pieces of added value you're offering to the VDJ software! :)

For anyone reading this thread due to its title: in one of my former posts I've given a script that - although admittedly not in a very elegant way - does the job: a push on the button calls up a clip from the clipbank, another push turnes the clipbank off, and yet another button push calls up the next clip. If anyone can improve upon my amateuristic scripting, then feel free to post! :)

Huey and Don: always grateful for your input!

Posted Thu 29 Dec 11 @ 1:02 am
Thanks Corny, I just like to understand where someone is coming from if I don't quite understand what the request is for.

To make it clear, I consider EM's abiliity to play SWF files as just another feature. The way it shines most is the ability and flexibility that it can play any type of video as well as SWF files with native transparency and size control. Add to this the other features in EM and it gives you a plugin that no other plugin can do.

SWF files can be tricky to program but there are resources that can create them for you.

Since we are close to New Year's I will post this link again. This is an SWF that exactly counts down to midnight on New Years eve (The actual time is retreived from your computer). At midnight, it will play an FLV video of your chocie. This will also show you the native alpha channel support for SWF files. The same thing is available for any type of video that supports alpha channel such as FLV, AVI, and MP4 and this just another thing that is only available in EM. To check this you can play a clipbank video behind the newyear.swf or testnewyear.swf files. You have to use an FLV file for the video in this case, because it is playing in flash. When you play any FLV or any other video directly in EM, then flash is not used.

The zip file contains 4 files:

o - testnewyear.swf
o - newyear.swf
o - countdown.xml
o - fireworks.flv

It counts down to to new years and then displays a video of your choice. Change the link (fireworks.flv) in countdown.xml to any FLV file you want.

fireworks.flv is just a sample video and you will want to change that.

testnewyear.swf just starts at 15 seconds, displays the video, then displays happy new year and restarts. This is so you can test the behavior before going live.

newyear.swf does the real countdown to new years. It counts down, then displays the video, then happy new year and ends.

If you don't want a video then don't use countdown.xml... otherwise, put the countdown.xml and swf files in the same place.

If you want some refinements, let me know.

It has a couple different transparency levels and for best results, play it in Essential Media.

http://sms.pangolin.com/temp/newyear.zip

By the way, look for customizable SWF support in EM in a future release. I did a whole lot of work on this already but have never documented it and never made it available. In this way anyone can create the SWF file that knows how to do that and then you can customize it to suit your needs. You can already do this using XML but the goal here would be to make it easier.

Posted Thu 29 Dec 11 @ 2:15 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)