Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Plugins

Topic: ....Help with Beatmasher Group Effect...

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

What does the following under the description of the effect mean?

Description:
Description: Shoot the beats and color sound of 1bar loop (4beats)
The parameters and results are not the same as Beatmasher single. So it is not an evolution of BM single at all

8 buttons for Lenght of loop> 4/1 - 2/1 - 3/2 - 1/1 - 3/4 - 1/2 - 1/4 - 1/8

Slider 1 : Mix Roll / Slip Pan > combined controller for 2 exclusive modes
- From full left to center controls mix between the original direct sound and the sampled audio
- From center to full right position switch directly to Slip Roll mode and creates progressively a pan stereo FX

Slider 2 : Trans/Gate > combined controller for different ways of mixing and gating the sampled material :
- From full left to centre mixes in progressively bigger chunks of sample audio with the Trans FXo
- From center to full right position cuts out progressively bigger chunk of sample audio with Gate FX (peak level only)

Slider 3 : High Pass Filter (HPF) Frequency : defines the frequency cut of HPF. Under the frequency, the sound is mute.

Slider 4 : HPF LFO : defines the Low Frequency Oscillation of HPF
- Left extremity : 16/1
- until one third : 8/1
- until two third : 4/1
- until tree third : 2/1
- right extremity : 1/1

What specifically do sliders 1,2 and 4 mean?....Does this infer that I NEED 3 empty slider banks in order to utilize the effect properly????.....Thankx guys.....

Posted Sat 17 Dec 11 @ 7:16 pm
you can always map anything to use any effect slider you wish, if you want one specifically for beatasher group for the highpass filter for example, you would use

effect "beatmasher_group" slider 3

Posted Sat 17 Dec 11 @ 7:26 pm
.... ^^^^ then how are you operating the sliders?.....What I'm saying is, how would you ever have enough sliders on a controller once you have the

up-faders and master vol, most controllers have no other "physical" sliders to assign all of these effect parameters to....So what are you

suggesting using, or using yourself to control these sliders?....Certainly not the mouse?......I'm perplexed over this and at the same time with the

effects that take multiple knobs on the parameters, most controllers have at the most no more than 3 or these dedicated or even open to use

for parameter adjustments of effects......So for example I have 2 parameters knobs on my controller....What would you suggest I use to utilize

the other parameters?

Posted Sat 17 Dec 11 @ 7:55 pm
Hahaa!! Thats why if it takes more then 2 sliders to function I dont use it, but thats just me. I wish it was just a wet/dry and amount sliders. For me the scripting just becomes to much and I get pissed or if I do manage to get it scripted I'll forget what does what and its just a pain for me. It sucks cause I know I miss out on a lot of dope effects.

Thats just me though
Huey

Posted Sat 17 Dec 11 @ 8:21 pm
Thanks for the feedback, Huey......I ran into the same issues. Hopefully Syn posts bk on this as I'm wondering how he manages to use the "Beatmasher Group' effect he was working on without a separate controller with just a bank of sliders on it! (or is this specifically why the beatmasher was made for midi fighter?)... I dunno....It is frustrating not to have more control over the parameters tho......

Posted Sat 17 Dec 11 @ 8:28 pm
you can use anything, (I hate this word as ony douchebags say it), but it depends on your (cringe) "workflow" LOL

for the examples I will try to follow this color formula so you can picl them apart a little easier
var 'shift' ? action if shifted : action if normal

some times you need to control the full length of an effect slider for instance with qb_filter the cutoff is slider 3 and because I use it a lot I have my high eq knob controlling that under a shift that activates the mapping and the effect when I press the high eq kill button.

high eq kill
toggle 'filter' & var 'filter' 1 ? effect "qb_filter" active on : effect "qb_filter" active off

But I use this effect in other instances of using an lfo filter for example, so for the notch filter on the eq knob I make it set the parameters when ever the knob is moved and the shift activated as well as controlling the third slider. slider 2 is the type of filter eg, hi, lo, lo/hi, bandpass.. I want lo/hi so that is 70%

eq high knob
var 'filter' 1 ? effect 'qb_filter' slider 3 & effect 'qb_filter' slider 2 70% : eq_high & effect 'qb_filter' slider 3

the reason I have "eq_high & effect 'qb_filter' slider 3" on the unshifted part of the script is that even though the effect is turned off, I still want the knob to control the third slider... actually I didn't really want to confuse you, but that isn't exactly how I have it set up. For the unshifted part of the script I have it so if the knob is above 60% it will no longer control the high eq, only the filter cutoff, this way I can move the knob to full highpass the activate the effect and cut back in, without maxing out the high eq, an lose the ability to change it while the filter is active. I is actually like this

eq high knob
var 'filter' 1 ? effect 'qb_filter' slider 3 & effect 'qb_filter' slider 2 70% : param_smaller 60% ? eq_high & effect 'qb_filter' slider 3 : effect 'qb_filter' slider 3

like I was saying you need to think of the best way to use the effect, and make changes where necassary.

There are other times where I want to just move a slider to a certain position, and then back again or press a button... an example of this is beatmasher single, for instance I like to use this effect on a knob as it feels good to me to use that way. I like it when the different knob positions equal different loop sizes and the top end of the knob is the roll reversed.

for beatmasher single the first 8 buttons are the loop sizes, the first slider is the wet dry which for a roll stutter I want full wet so the activatiion button handles that. The knob I use is the gain, but I map it so shifted it adjusts the gain and normally it changes the effect... why did I do this? because I use the beatmasher more than I use the gain and it matches my (cringe) "workflow"

activation button
effect "beatmasher_single" active while_pressed & effect "beatmasher_single" slider 1 100%

gain knob
var 'shift' ? gain_slider : param_equal 0% ? effect "beatmasher_single" button 8 1 & effect "beatmasher_single" slider 4 100% : param_smaller 15% ? effect "beatmasher_single" button 7 1 & effect "beatmasher_single" slider 4 100% : param_smaller 30% ? effect "beatmasher_single" button 6 1 & effect "beatmasher_single" slider 4 100% : param_smaller 45% ? effect "beatmasher_single" button 5 1 & effect "beatmasher_single" slider 4 100% : param_smaller 60% ? effect "beatmasher_single" button 4 1 & effect "beatmasher_single" slider 4 100% : param_smaller 75% ? effect "beatmasher_single" button 3 1 & effect "beatmasher_single" slider 4 100% : param_smaller 90% ? effect "beatmasher_single" button 2 1 & effect "beatmasher_single" slider 4 100% : param_smaller 99% ? effect "beatmasher_single" button 1 1 & effect "beatmasher_single" slider 4 100% : param_equal 100% ? effect "beatmasher_single" slider 4 0%

how the knob works is, I have 8 buttons on the effect I want to control, but will never want to really use the smallest value of 1/8 so that is at 0%, the rest I want in equal sections of the knob so 100 divided by 7 is 14.28 Im lazy so just made it 15 LOL... so at each knob position the above script does the following

0% = 1/8 loop & reverse off
<15% = 1/4 loop & reverse off
<30% = 1/2 loop & reverse off
<45% = 3/4 loop & reverse off
<60% = 1 loop & reverse off
<75% = 3/2 loop & reverse off
<90% = 2 loop & reverse off
<99% = 4 loop & reverse off
100% = reverse on

then when your done get a paint pen or a skin printed so you can see the different sections of the mapping on your controller

then there is another option if you only have buttons at your disposal, you can use the repeat function, which does what it is called, it will repeat what you want it to in increments and a times you set. for example, maybe you want to have a fill done by the trans effect, that turns on the effect while you have the button pressed but also increases the wet/dry from 0% to 100%, but you also need to account for the slider being above zero when you start the effect, so this needs to be reset at the start. For this example on the button press, it will also set the size to 1/4 cause it will sound good LOL

button
effect 'trans' slider 1 0% & effect 'trans' active while_pressed & effect 'trans' button 1 & repeat 20ms & effect 'trans' slider 1 +2%

if you want to reverse the effect so it engages the gate then fades out just reverse the main numbers

effect 'trans' slider 1 100% & effect 'trans' active while_pressed & effect 'trans' button 1 1 & repeat 20ms & effect 'trans' slider 1 -2%

anything I didn't cover just ask bro..

PS I don't actually use the beatmasher code so it is untested but hopefully It works, I'll give it a try now though :-D

Also forgot to mention that you can use 1 knob to control multiple effect sliders eg.

effect "effect_name" slider 1 & effect "effect_name" slider 2

and you can set modifiers to change the amount the knob controls each fader, for example you can half the travel that slider 2 will make. to half you need to multiply a vaue by a percentage or a decimal, so to half you would use "param_multiply 50%" or to double you would use "param_multiply 200%" eg

effect "effect_name" slider 1 & param_multiply 50% & effect "effect_name" slider 2

PPS the beatmasher knob works fine but all 8 sizes are a bit excessive I would only use 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 & 1 loop sizes

gain knob
var 'shift' ? gain_slider : param_equal 0% ? effect "beatmasher_single" button 8 1 & effect "beatmasher_single" slider 4 100% : param_smaller 25% ? effect "beatmasher_single" button 7 1 & effect "beatmasher_single" slider 4 100% : param_smaller 50% ? effect "beatmasher_single" button 6 1 & effect "beatmasher_single" slider 4 100% : param_smaller 75% ? effect "beatmasher_single" button 5 1 & effect "beatmasher_single" slider 4 100% : param_smaller 99% ? effect "beatmasher_single" button 4 1 & effect "beatmasher_single" slider 4 100% : param_equal 100% ? effect "beatmasher_single" slider 4 0%

Posted Sat 17 Dec 11 @ 9:23 pm
I actually missed your last post sorry blaze,

for the midi fighter, I only had buttons available so had to use those, however, I try and use the best control for the job, and even though the scripts I use are really complicated, I try and make the using of them as simple as possible, so yes one knob might activate 2 or 3 effects and set multiple parameters and be lines and lines of script, but the action is always as minimal and natural as possible eg for the beatmasher I like that it is activated at the press of a button, with the midifighter script, "honestly I'm not sure about the version I gave you it changes so much" but the idea is if you press a button on the device, it activates the effect, there is an issue though when the button is lifted it turns off the effect, so I had to use a variable to stop that and change "while_pressed" to

down ? effect 'beatmasher_single" active on & set a shift (that other buttons react to) : effect 'beatmasher_single" active off & turn off the shift

but each button has the shift as a variable on the up section

down ? effect 'beatmasher_single" active on & set 'shift' 1 : var 'shift' 1 ? nothing : effect 'beatmasher_single" active off & set 'shift' 0

but for a knob for beatmasher group I would have used this for a knob, but its not that good, much better on the buttons.

param_equal 0% ? effect "beatmasher group" button 8 1 : param_smaller 15% ? effect "beatmasher group" button 7 1 : param_smaller 30% ? effect "beatmasher group" button 6 1 : param_smaller 45% ? effect "beatmasher group" button 5 1 : param_smaller 60% ? effect "beatmasher group" button 4 1 : param_smaller 75% ? effect "beatmasher group" button 3 1 : param_smaller 90% ? effect "beatmasher group" button 2 1 : param_smaller 99% ? effect "beatmasher group" button 1 1 : param_equal 100% ? effect "beatmasher group" slider 4 0

Posted Sat 17 Dec 11 @ 11:00 pm
how about the loops at the top. i will like to map those and manipulate them

Posted Sun 18 Nov 12 @ 12:33 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)