Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: first gig/top 40 mix. girlfriend suggests radio edit?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

hi everyone, im doing my first gig this saturday and the crowd likes top 40 so i began downloading songs that are mainly house remixes of mainstream music. but my gf thinks its too hard and suggests to play radio edits but idk how im supposed to mix those. anyway im djing a haloween party not like a club. so please guys help me out.

p.s. ill be bringing m audio bx8a's
my question is will they fall if i put it on top of a monitor stand which i dont think has supports?p.p just basicly on top of the stand.

p.p.s. i dont think im supposed to use p.s. but what do i use?

Posted Wed 26 Oct 11 @ 3:23 pm
Hey man, I know this is a little late but for future reference I would say start off with some songs you know they'll like and try to mix in the remixes and see how they react.. If they like the house remixes then play those but if it clears the floor and they really only like the top 40 unfortunately you should try to just mix those. House is gaining a lot of popularity on the radio though so I would say you'd be pretty safe playing those remixes. Hope you had a good first gig and all went well bro! Keep spinnin and remember reading the crowd is an important part of djing.

Happy Halloween!
-DJ Cool Colors

Posted Sat 29 Oct 11 @ 11:48 pm
I had my first gig this saturday too and I had the same issue. With the right pacing I found I was even able to get the crowd to dance to some hard style, but blending in the top 40 constantly was a must.

I think it works best never too go two tracks out of the top 40 without reintroducing a familiar artist that they want to hear, whether it just be some lil john samples coming in during a track without a lot of volcals, to mashing up a remix.

But that's just what I noticed.

Posted Sun 30 Oct 11 @ 2:41 pm
Thanks a bunch

Posted Sat 05 Nov 11 @ 6:38 am
First thing is don't feel like you have to beatmix every single song. Most of your skill as a dj will come from your programming knowledge, more so than your beatmixing ability. You can always improve the beatmixing but if you don't know how to read a room or keep up with the charts, you're not going to do well.

Follow the radio; check out the radio station websites to see what they're playlist looks like; check the billboard charts; record pool charts.

Friday Morning Quarterback is a really good chart; I use that one a LOT when programming my weekly mixshows.

Posted Wed 09 Nov 11 @ 4:03 pm
Advice I can give you for future reference is a house party is completely different in the mentality of beat mixing and "crowd control." Meaning if they are a Top 40, your best bet is to (for your first few gigs) simply play a song out and fade to the next at the end. Nothing major on mixing, no effects until you're more comfortable with a mashup or beatmixing.

As far as basics with this, it's like some of the others have said, go with the crowd. If they respond to the hip hop side of Top 40, try to throw one or two others, then you need to switch up and "kill it" almost. This is done by many DJ's naturally. You play that "ok" or decent song that may clear the floor, but people can relax, mingle, get drinks, restroom, etc. In the club, DJ's do this to push you to the bar again, then come right back with the good songs. A good thing to do on your first few sets is to follow the exact play list of mixes already out, from MixCrate, to Beatport, to soundcloud. Listen to how they mix, and do exactly the same (minus the mashups). If the dj allows you to download and use their mix, you can do that as well and just sort of keep yourself occupied with the sound levels, and an effect or two, etc. This is perfect to learn off of.

As you get better, get into transitions like Hip Hop > Pop (like Black Eyed Peas) that would be able to transition into House/Electric/etc. Once you've gotten to your house mixes, you're golden. Most people will dance the remainder of the night off of your typical "dance" music.

Posted Tue 22 Nov 11 @ 3:27 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)