Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: When making a mix for the club...

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I've always been curious as to how DJS make their sets for club nights.

Do you mix as the night goes, beatmatching every song?

Or do you make a lot of small beatmatched song sets (4 or 5) songs and then throw in samples as the set is playing?

Thanks for the info I'm just seeing what different styles you guys have.

Posted Wed 05 Oct 11 @ 7:44 pm
Dj's plan their sets and some don't plan... it all depends on the crowd and their response to certain situations..You have to plan for the age of the crowd.. and the location of the venue. I'm not going to Pacha NYC and playing hip hop all night... so you have to think about who you are playing for. I personally never premake mixes.. because it doesn't give you the ability to switch up on the fly when someone may not be feeling the songs you're playing. DJ's feed off the energy of the crowd a lot. . so bottom line its good to have an idea of what you're going to play but then at the same time be flexible to change it up on the fly. Thats my two cents. :)

Posted Mon 10 Oct 11 @ 1:16 am
great two cents^, i'd agree, and i would never want to dance to a pre mix, its when the DJ is putting in EFFORT , plus if u can see the dj..and he/she is just standing there, kinda kills the vibe..for me at least

Posted Sat 15 Oct 11 @ 10:05 am
Cool thanks for the replies. Will practice on my laptop till i get back n the states and can use my controller haha.

Posted Wed 19 Oct 11 @ 7:21 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)