Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: Text Zone Background

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

ClayDJPRO InfinityMember since 2011
Hi All,

I am using the default skin. I would like to put a textzone on top of a blue button.
I can currently display the text on top of the button, but it will only show the default gray skin as a background to the text.
Instead of seeing white lettering with a blue background, It shows white lettering with the opaque default gray skin color for the text background.

How can I change the background color of the textzone or make it transparent?
Or, if it is already transparent, then why am I not seeing the blue background?

Thanks,
Claydj

Posted Mon 12 Sep 11 @ 7:34 pm
yes..i have that problem,dont think they're transparent...but...gives me something to check for ;-) today...

Posted Mon 12 Sep 11 @ 8:14 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
The background of a textzone is set by the up line

Text over a button with action or simply use that as background and the button has no action ? Can you be more specific ?

Posted Mon 12 Sep 11 @ 11:53 pm
Hi DJDad,

You helped me with my previous 'cue button color change' skin (thanks!).
I would like to display some text (%namecueX) on the cue buttons.

If your remember within my XML, there are panel id 'true:false', 'false,true' statements, as well as 'button panel' statements for each cue in my XML so that the cue buttons will change color (from blue to green) as I cycle through them.

I added a textzone element for the cue buttons and as I previously mentioned, I can see the actual text displayed over the buttons OK, but the text has the opaque gray default background which blocks out the actual blue or green button color.

How can I display the text on the button, and keep the blue or green background color?

Posted Tue 13 Sep 11 @ 8:07 am
More Info:

Here is my XML for the pane id;
<panel id="leftcue1on" group="leftcues1" visible="deck 1 var'cue_jump' 0 ? true : false">
<size width="30" height="19"/>
<pos="285" y="120"/>
<down x="+0" y="+0"/>
<panel>

Here is the XML for the button;
<button panel="leftcue1on" action="deck 1 hot_cue 1 & deck 1 set 'cue_jump' 0">
<up="+0" y="+0"/>
<selected x="+790" y="2921"/>
<button>

The above XML works great (with other similar on/off, true/false cue panels for a total of 6 cues) on my modified skin, and now I added in the XML for the textzone:

Here is my XML for the textzone over the button;
<textzone>
<panel id="leftcue1on"/>
<pos x="285" y="120"/>
<size width="28" height="19"/>
<text font="arial" size="14" color="white" weight="bold" format="%namecue1" align="center"/>
<textzone>

As previously mentioned, I only see the gray opaque default skin background behind the text when the textzone is displayed (it should show the actual button color).
As DJDad previously mentioned, I tried changing the x,y up line in the button XML pointing to the color button graphic, but that did not have any affect.

ClayDJ

Posted Tue 13 Sep 11 @ 9:58 am
You need to have textzones for EACH panel that you have cue buttons.

<textzone panel="leftcue1on"/>
<up x="" y=""/>
<mousemask x="" y=""/>
</textzone>

<textzone panel="leftcue1off"/>
<up x="" y=""/>
<mousemask x="" y=""/>
</textzone>

etc

also you need to define up for the textzones too, according to what background you wish for each panel

Also if you need the mouse to disregard the textzone and use the button action, you need to add mousemask for the textzones too. Mousemasks sould point a white area to your bmp file.

Posted Tue 13 Sep 11 @ 10:58 am
Ok DJ Dad, I tried your suggested XML, and Skin Creator does not like it and freezes when I try to select (highlight) the entire block. There must be something wrong in my textzone XML.

Here is the XML per your suggestion:
<textzone panel="leftcue1on"/>
<up x="789" y="2921"/>
<mousemask x="285" y="2337"/>
<pos x="285" y="120"/>
<size width x="28" height y="19"/>
<text font="ariel" size="14" color="white" weight="bold" format="%namecue1" align="center"/>
</textzone>

I am using the x,y numbers from the white platter area of the default skin BMP for the mousemask.
I triple checked for typos.
When I try to select the entire block above in Skin Creator, it freezes (it should actually highlight the selected area on the BMP).
Usually when I don't have my XML structured or punctuated correctly, Skin Creator will freeze on me. Once I make the proper corrections and it doesn't freeze when I highlight a block, then I know I'm good to go. I'll open another thread with JeremK for the freeze issue.

Any ideas on my XML?
Thanks,
ClayDJ

Posted Tue 13 Sep 11 @ 10:20 pm
You may also have text inside a button, like this ...

<button panel="leftcue1on" action="deck 1 hot_cue 1 & deck 1 set 'cue_jump' 0">
<up="+0" y="+0"/>
<selected x="+790" y="2921"/>
<text dx="1" dy="1" width=28" font="arial" size="14" color="white" weight="bold" format="%namecue1" align="center"/>
<button>

text gets the background of the button (up)

Posted Wed 14 Sep 11 @ 5:27 am
Thanks DJ Dad.

That last XML that you listed worked great for the cue button text!

ClayDJ

Posted Wed 14 Sep 11 @ 3:39 pm
DJDad, I sent you another PM! :)...

ClayDJ

Posted Tue 20 Sep 11 @ 8:01 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)