Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: Is it possible to have a phantom effects slot built into a skin

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

The reason I want this is I don't want the effects that I have mapped to my controller to ever show up on the skin as I know what I have activated, and it is a waste having these effects in the slot because I cant select any other ones. any suggestions on how to do it would be appreciated

cheers

Andrew

Posted Sat 03 Sep 11 @ 9:28 am
What you ask is actually VERY simple:

1) On your skin create the Effect slots you wish (E.G. effect 1 select / effect 1 active, effect 2 select / effect 2 active, effect 3 select / effect 3 active)
2) On your controller map the desired button(s) to OTHER effect slots. (E.G. Button FX1= effect 4 select "flanger" & effect 4 active OR Button FX1 = effect "flanger" active)

What you need to understand is:

1) Effect select IS NOT equal to effect 1 select
2) Effect active IS NOT equal to effect 1 active
3) You can select and activate (via VDJ script) ANY effect slot you wish even id it's not visible on your skin

The preferred method to achieve what you want is to create some slots on your skin (do not use "effect active", use "effect 1 active" instead) and use other slots for your mapper "effect 4 active" This way you'll never see these effects on your skin.

Attention:
Currently there's no way to tell if a slot has an effect assigned (and which) other than seeing it on your skin. So it would be a good practice to assign your effects to their slots before you fire them:
effect 4 select "flanger" & effect 4 active
However for the novice on VDJ script this brings up another issue: The LED of your FX button won't stay on when the effect is active since you have a "complex" VDJ script command assigned to it.
You have to map the LED of that button directly ("effect 4 active") in order to have a visual representation of the status of your effect.

Posted Mon 12 Sep 11 @ 5:27 am
haha I like the irony that phantom dj is telling me how to use a phantom slot LOL

but thank you, I hadn't tried mapping it as I thought you would need the slot in the skin similar to how decks work, I will start mapping it in now but use a few different slots for the default effects I mapped into the controller, I'll let you know if there are any issues :)

Posted Mon 12 Sep 11 @ 7:41 am
actually another question if you dont mind phantom...

should I use "effect "qb_filter" slider 3" or "effect 2 slider 3" to control the parameter in slot 2?

I will use oninit to establish the effects in the correct slots and re-comfirm the position when activating the effect just to be safe LOL

EDIT-------------------------------

still having issues with this using the standard 2 deck skin, I have followed your advice but it still selects the effect and shows in slot 1... maybe I could make a panel with slot 2 etc... but never shows

Posted Mon 12 Sep 11 @ 8:04 am
You should EDIT the default skin's XML file to "force" it to use slots (effect 1 select)

Also for QB Filter I use "effect 'qb_filter' slider 3"

Posted Mon 12 Sep 11 @ 10:43 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
.. and have %effectslotx instead of %maineffect in the text(zone)

Posted Mon 12 Sep 11 @ 12:33 pm
djdad wrote :
.. and have %effectslotx instead of %maineffect in the text(zone)

This is the best option...

Posted Mon 12 Sep 11 @ 3:48 pm
worked perfectly thanks guys :)

Posted Mon 12 Sep 11 @ 4:04 pm
Very,very informative!!

Posted Mon 12 Sep 11 @ 8:03 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)