Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: photoshop for dummies... that's me :)

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Sorry to ask on a dj forum, but is there any good tutorials for drawing basic shapes, all I want to do is create a shape in the background color and give it a border in a different color... I used to play around with logos a few years ago and used "grow" to make borders, is this the way you are supposed to do it or are there easier ways

Posted Tue 21 Jun 11 @ 4:35 am
Another question...

Is it possible to copy multiple layers or select multiple layers, I have watched about ten youtube vids concerning layers, all were informative and interesting, but none had my answer :(

Posted Thu 23 Jun 11 @ 4:23 am
I did a google search of the forum and got nothing so... when you guys draw knobs how do you decide on the rotation? should it be divisions of 360 eg, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, and how many images make up a full rotation? should it be every 10/15 degrees? does it even matter

Cheers

Andrew

Posted Thu 23 Jun 11 @ 6:17 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
I cant help you with Photoshop tips, as i use Corel Draw for my skins and graphics. I use 10 degree rotation steps for my knobs, which gives you almost 27-31 steps for an EQ knob.

Posted Thu 23 Jun 11 @ 7:50 am
Photoshop officially rules! did this in about 20 mins messing around after watching a vid on youtube, I think I might have to use the theme for a future touchscreen skin design

Posted Fri 24 Jun 11 @ 3:11 pm
synthet1c wrote :
I did a google search of the forum and got nothing so... when you guys draw knobs how do you decide on the rotation? should it be divisions of 360 eg, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, and how many images make up a full rotation? should it be every 10/15 degrees? does it even matter

Cheers

Andrew

It would be best to work with fixed angle rotations. You need 360-90=270 degrees rotation for a typical round slider. If you go by 10 degrees you will need 27 images. If you go by 5 you will need 54. For volume/gain knobs it really doesn't matter, but for EQ knobs you should always use odd number of images.
My favorite rotation is 6 degrees and it requires 45 images. If you want to go higher than that (in terms of quality) you must go to 2 degrees and 135 images that's overkill IMHO unless you are drawing a custom graphics large spinning platter.

Posted Tue 28 Jun 11 @ 5:57 am
synthet1c wrote :
Another question...

Is it possible to copy multiple layers or select multiple layers, I have watched about ten youtube vids concerning layers, all were informative and interesting, but none had my answer :(

Select multiple layers= CTRL+Click on the layers you want. You can also use SHIFT+click.
Duplicate multiple layers= Once you select multiple layers -> Right Click -> Duplicate or CTRL+D

One useful tip is to start working with groups.
Select multiple layers and press CTRL+G
On the layers pane you will see a "folder" containing your layers.
You can then manipulate them separately as always or as a group via the "folder" icon. This way you can hide/reveal several layers at once.
Also you can group groups together or even groups and layers.

Posted Tue 28 Jun 11 @ 6:01 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)