Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: Why can't I activate a line in ...[SOLVED]

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

The title says it all...

Why can't I activate a line in (microphone) from a button in the skin? Why does it have to be a hardware (keyboard) key stroke?

Posted Wed 15 Jun 11 @ 5:26 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
You may add a button to a skin with the same action (vdj script) as your keyboard shortcut. Some skins do have such a button. Default has that already but it appears (visible) only if your sound setup has inputs.

Posted Wed 15 Jun 11 @ 8:47 am
Hi DJDAD! Thanks for reacting. I guess you're referring to the windows microphone. I am referring to a "line in" channel that needs to be activated by a keyboard key stroke (page 12 of the Audio Setup Guide that comes with Virtual DJ)...

Posted Wed 15 Jun 11 @ 9:39 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
It doesn't say that you can only do it by keyboard shortcut -- it is just the example that is shown using a keyboard shortcut.

If it can be done in a keyboard shortcut - it can typically be done as a skin action and controller mapping action.

Posted Wed 15 Jun 11 @ 11:36 am
That sounds promising, CSTOLL! I'll give it a whirl.
Bit if I get stuck, could I PM you for further advice?

Posted Wed 15 Jun 11 @ 1:06 pm
IT WORKS!!! :)
Man do i feel stupid... :(
I tried it once, and it didn't work, so I immediately assumed it could only be done with mapping a keyboard key... Must have been another reason for the skin error I got back then.
MANY thanks to you both for helping me out!

Posted Wed 15 Jun 11 @ 3:52 pm
NOOO!!! It doesn't work :(

A skin with...

<button pannel="settings" action="deck 3 linein 2">

crashes (well, it doesn't crash, but when you close Virtual DJ you see the crash guard popup (that was either there all the time, hidden underneath the programs interface, or triggered when closing...)

PLEASE ADVISE...

Posted Wed 15 Jun 11 @ 4:36 pm
It does work, the thing is you have to have your "line-ins" setup in the advanced config. I have lineins and Mic ins on my skin called "SweetScratch". At let when I use them I always have them setup in the advanced sound config, although I've never had a crash. It just won't do anything.

Huey

Posted Wed 15 Jun 11 @ 5:39 pm
Afraid I did not understand your last two sentences, Huey...

My microphone works, i can activate the linein for it by pushing a skin button. This is not the issue. The thing is, when using this skin button to switch on the linein for the microphone, a crash guard popup appears when closing VDJ. This worries me.

Posted Wed 15 Jun 11 @ 7:30 pm
Okay, I've done some extensive testing and these are the results:

The crash guard popup ONLY appears (it will show when I close VDJ) when I use the "activate linein" feature, either by keyboard or by skin button. It does not always come up, but 9 out of 10 times it will.

Now, the interesting thing is, that this crash guard popup will not occur when I use the default VDJ skin, using the aux button or a custom button with the "deck 3 linein" command. So, it's obviously something in my skin. But what could that be? What has effect on the linein command that could conflict? I'm out of ideas and low on energy, guys. Too many hours researching and testing.

Any suggestions anyone?

Anyone with the same experience (probably not)?

Posted Thu 16 Jun 11 @ 5:02 am
If you use linein 2, that means that you have 2 lineins in your sound card (sound setup). If you choose linein 1, do you have the crash?

Posted Thu 16 Jun 11 @ 9:31 am
Interestingly enough, no I don't get the crash guard popup when using linein 1... Why did you ask, DJDAD? Anything I should know?

I made two copies of my skin (so the're identical), one with linein 1 and one with linein 2. The second one almost always causes a crash, the first one never (I tried about 15 times opening and closing and changing skin)...

NOTE: The first line in from my soundcard (which has phantom power supply) I had reserved for a microphone in case a presentator, or MC or anyone else from the event needed it. The second line in I use for my own microphone (routed throug a mic preamp with phantom power supply).

Posted Fri 17 Jun 11 @ 5:02 am
cstoll wrote :
It doesn't say that you can only do it by keyboard shortcut -- it is just the example that is shown using a keyboard shortcut.

If it can be done in a keyboard shortcut - it can typically be done as a skin action and controller mapping action.

By the way, Chris, you must admit: it could have been mentioned in the guide, right? I mean, mentioning a mapped keyboard stroke AND a mapped MIDI controller but NOT a skin button (the third and last option) is kind of misleading...

Posted Fri 17 Jun 11 @ 5:05 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
The Guide is for using the software - it is not a guide for How to Skin ... that is totally different. People are not going to read the USER'S GUIDE to know how to 'skin' the software - they look at it to know how the software works and with their hardware.

Posted Fri 17 Jun 11 @ 11:56 am
I see your point.

Posted Fri 17 Jun 11 @ 12:44 pm
Okay, for anyone reading this thread:

1. YOU CAN MAKE A SKIN BUTTON TO ACTIVATE A LINE IN OR MICROPHONE (It's quite simple, actually)

2. YOUR SKIN WILL NOT CRASH BY USING SUCH A BUTTON (I have isolated the reason why my skin crashed: it had to do with a "hidden" browser, not with the line-in button!)

I hope this is of use to anyone.

P.S. Moderators: you may add a SOLVED remark to this topic (and close it)! Thank you all for your interest!

Posted Sat 02 Jul 11 @ 7:18 am

Posted Sat 02 Jul 11 @ 8:45 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)