Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: using timecodes with an internal audio card

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

hi!

i have been scouring the internet for hours now, but have yet to find a cohesive source of info.

the problem:
i am looking into digital djing, and i have yet to make up my mind which one i am gonna buy eventually - virtual dj, traktor or serato. reading up on the topic, i got a little bit confused. is it possible to read/control timecoded cds/vinyl via virtual dj WITHOUT an external audio interface?
i have the classic setup of 2 x cdj-1000 and 1 x djm-800 for 'hands on' djing and i also bought an m-audio audiophile 192 (asio-card) with an m-audio oxygen8 v2 for a bit of production experiments.
can i burn timecode-cds to play them on my cdjs and read/control them with virtual dj WITH my (internal) m-audio sound card??!
cause when i started reading up on timecodes i got the feeling that most people just buy an sl2 or an audio8 because they have no other (read: internal) asio sound card.. and not because those were necessary to read timecodes..?!?! and there is shockingly little information on that topic, aside from all the amateur how-to's..

can someone please clarify that for me? cause i need a temporary digital setup before i spend some real money on this stuff. i could buy an native instruments audio2 and run it with virtual dj via timecodes.

Posted Fri 10 Jun 11 @ 8:56 am
Timecode requires an ASIO sound card with at least 4 inputs (2 stereo) and 4 outputs (2 stereo)

It doesn't matter whether the card is external or internal.

From the descriptions on the Internet, it appears that the M-Audio Audiophile card above should be 4-in/4-out, but I also see listings for 2-in/4-out. If you have the 4-in/4-out version, you should be able to use it for timecode.

Any standard DJ CD player can be used to control song playback in the full VirtualDJ Professional by using timecode CD's.

You will need the full VirtualDJ Professional http://www.virtualdj.com/buy/index.html to use timecode. VirtualDJ Home FREE allows timecode to be tried out for 10 minutes at a time: http://www.virtualdj.com/download/free.html

Timecode CD's can be created yourself using the file downloadable from http://www.virtualdj.com/products/timecode/cd.html - Simply use your CD writing software to burn a couple of audio CD's using this file. You will need the pro grade timecode signal for Pioneer CDJ's.

Setup instructions can be found in the user manuals for VirtualDJ: http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/PDFManuals.html

NOTE: Your computer needs to meet and preferably exceed the recommended specification on the following page: http://www.virtualdj.com/products/virtualdj/index.html

NOTE: Native Instruments Audio 2 DJ that you mention above is not suitable for timecode use. It has no inputs and is designed for use by MIDI controller and/or mouse/keyboard users. If you wanted to purchase another external card, you would need to purchase Native Instruments Audio 4 DJ or Audio 8 DJ.

Posted Fri 10 Jun 11 @ 1:17 pm
hey! thanks for your reply, it helped me alot.

i started playing around but i couldnt make it work, the signal came out all distorted and the pitch was going crazy from -50 to +50 within seconds, it was a mess. finally, i realized what my mistake was: because i have an audiophile with only 2-in's, i had previously connected the input to the "booth"-channel of the djm-800. if i had 4-in's, i guess i wouldnt even have had the problem to being with, whatever.. so it's working now all i gotta do is get virtual dj pro so that i can use timecodes longer than a few minutes.
i'll just use mp3-cds on one cdj and timecodes on the other, reducing my cd needs by half. i suppose i could try to "split" the input-signal via cables so that i have 2 mono inputs instead of one stereo.. but i dunno if its gonna sound good..
too bad i didnt take all this into consideration when i bought the audiophile.. not the best card for beginners (or anybody in general). turns out it doesnt even have a gain control for the input, since it wasnt designed for unbalanced signals (i.e. dj mixer).

anyway, thanks again.

EDIT: what low budget external audio interface would you recommend that is suited for timecode use?

Posted Fri 10 Jun 11 @ 5:45 pm
Once of the cheapest timecode interface that you can get is ESI Maya44 USB, which does a reasonable job.

However, a better quality card such as Hercules DJ Trim or Native Instruments Audio 4 DJ would be a much better choice.

NOTE: Timecode needs stereo inputs to work. It wont work with mono inputs.

Posted Fri 10 Jun 11 @ 5:59 pm
kir9iLE userMember since 2013
M-Audio Delta 44 PCI And it will go?

Posted Sun 18 Dec 16 @ 7:39 am
How many inputs and outputs does timecode need (read the second message above)?

How many inputs and outputs does the Delta 44 have?

By the way, please do not post new messages in long dead threads. This one is from 2011.

Posted Sun 18 Dec 16 @ 9:41 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)