Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: I lost it all...

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Well, I had a catostrophic laptop hard drive crash and unfortunately for me... that's where i kept all my skinning files.

I lost the source artwork for EVERYTHING.

so depressed.

Including the 1960x1080 denon skin I was working on... all that work... poof!

Posted Sat 21 May 11 @ 1:20 am
Jeezuz Chuck! I'm so sorry about that.I've heard there is ways to recover that data...google and search the info ,dont give up bro....the thing its a disc and the data its still there.is just that the thing wont play it back without some fix.

Posted Sat 21 May 11 @ 3:37 am
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
Sorry man, as Tracker suggested, you might not be totally screwed. Try and use this as a learning situation and, back up often to an external HD or look into something like this.

Posted Sat 21 May 11 @ 10:02 am
DHoudePRO InfinityMember since 2009
Also, you can get external laptop hard drive cases for about $10 shipped off ebay. I have had hard drives that were unable to boot up a laptop, but they were able to fire up enough in an external case to get my files off them. Some times they need a little "love tap" to start spinning agin though. It may take some persistance but most of the time this works.

The drive that failed on me would tick and stop. After 5 hours, I recovered every file off it and lost NOTHING! Patience and persistance payed off. Word of advice, copy 1 folder at a time. If it stops in the middle a copy, then you at least will know which files are probably incomplete.

Forensic disc scans are expensive. About $500, my full time job has had to do them to recover data. Here they disassemble your drive and load each disk into a machine. If you were recovering a whole music library, this may be well worth the investment though.

Last, ESATA, USB or Firewire external hard drive cases are well worth the $120 to $150 investment. Some advice here if you use Windows, there is a free Microsoft back up tool called "Sync Toy". Again free to download but the big thing here is, it is capable of looking at every file and only copying over the new and changed files. In other words, if you modify an ID3 tag on a song, it will see that, remove the old file from your back up drive and replace it with the one you just updated. WELL worth a look see!

Good luck!

Posted Sat 21 May 11 @ 11:00 am
Flipping heck Chuck, I'm really sorry to hear that. About 18 months ago I bought a Mac Pro desktop and set it up with mirrored raid disks in bays 1 & 2, Seperate drive for Time machine in bay 3 and a Windows drive in bay 4 also backing up to the drive in bay 3.

I thought it was overkill ...... then the single drive in my old Sony died 2 weeks later and I would have lost all my photos, business records etc.

Treat this as a lesson learned. Whether you are Win or Mac a desktop with mirrored raid with a seperate file only backup to a 3rd drive should be a minimum backup plan.

Keith

Posted Sat 21 May 11 @ 3:09 pm
I have a folder in my documents which I can drag n drop stuff to, its actually on a server called Dropbox. Means I can access elsewhere too

Posted Sat 21 May 11 @ 3:20 pm
TearEmUp wrote :
Sorry man, as Tracker suggested, you might not be totally screwed. Try and use this as a learning situation and, back up often to an external HD or look into something like this.

Sorry bro... Treat this as a lesson learned.

Posted Sat 21 May 11 @ 3:38 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)