Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: Posting for pre-submission appraisal

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

This is the latest skin that I've been working on - mainly a test bed for ideas, and yes it's based on the "Traktor" skin, so I posted it here for a Teamer will advise on whether it's worth submitting.

As a Pro user I use a controller, so designing skins that have either representations of my hardware or control elements doesn't interest me - No point wasting screen space on something that I have in front of me.

Here's the ideas that I've been trying out:

1) Split the rhythmzone into 4 parts (using 4 rhythmzone's) so that each deck has it's own, making the grid height the same as the rhythm (this is where being able to define alternate colours would be an advantage).

2) The green downward facing arrows are beatkeepers, but they are linked to the masterdeck. This means, as sync'ing is done on the masterdeck, you have a beatkeeper reference directly on the deck. The grey upward facing arrows are beatkeepers for the respective decks.

3) Maximising the screen space, by placing the browser off screen and using browser_zoom to display the browser.

4) Tried to make the details and buttons, etc on the skin deliver meaningful information.

Beside that, I have been trying to chain the effects together, then allow any of the 4 decks to access them...think global effects, but no joy.

Posted Thu 12 May 11 @ 1:44 pm
ok, I'm feeling ya, I like the concept. No video?

Posted Thu 12 May 11 @ 1:49 pm
I don't do video Charlie...I kinda build skins for me...and if others want to use them then that's up to them.

Posted Thu 12 May 11 @ 2:03 pm
If you want the CBG to be a different color than the rhythm wave you could use the rhythm element as opposed to the rhythmzone element.

It's more graphically involved and you use ares of the skin to define the colors but it affords you the abillity to use a specific set of graphics for the CBG whereas the rhythmzone element automatically makes them for you.

Check out the default version 6 VDJ skin for an example of rhythm tag usage.

Chuck

Posted Thu 12 May 11 @ 2:05 pm
Sorry...Chuck (don't know why I thought you were Charlie...)...I had considered the v6 format, but as far as I'm aware you can't use "Mirror" with the v6 format only v7.

Posted Thu 12 May 11 @ 2:36 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Corporate staff wrote :
From this point forward - any skin resembling another product will be immediately declined.

Simon,

I am afraid your skin will not be approved due to obvious similarity to Traktor.

We will leave this thread unlocked, to receive all the help and ideas you will need from users in order to complete your skin, however i need to remind you that we can not allow sharing your creation with other users through this site.

Posted Thu 12 May 11 @ 2:47 pm
The skin has too much of a resemblance to a competing software for it to be approved. Sorry Simon.

Posted Thu 12 May 11 @ 2:52 pm
I had thought that was the case, and I whole heartedly agree with you. I am happy to not submit it, as it was more an excercise in seeing what other layout options can be achieved with the skinning engine and scripting.

It is strange that when you actually sit down and think of what you want from a "skin" (read UI), you do tend to gravitate towards designs and layouts that do bear resemblances to various products, regardless of how you try to avoid it.

Obviously it does bear a resemblance to one of the products of a well known German software supplier, but whilst thinking about the design, I actually incorporated elements from over 10 different software titles...

Anyway, please feel free to lock this thread as further comments won't be of benefit to the community.

Simon

Posted Thu 12 May 11 @ 3:37 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)