Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: I found the solution when your songs come up all errors during your gigs

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

tookeptPRO InfinityMember since 2006
ok... so the mac store basically said this....hard drive had bad sectors on my pro...all 13 inch mac book pros from about 2 yrs ago had a less than good hard drive installed. If your gonna change out, get the hitachi, and also use a g- drive external or lacie and never and let me say that again NEVER use seagate....(sons of bitches) worse product ever...any questions hit me up....

Posted Tue 03 May 11 @ 4:21 pm
If you get 'Error' when trying to load a song, then it means that the song in your database is no-longer valid. This is usually caused by either moving, renaming or deleting the song outside of VirtualDJ, so the entry in its database no-longer points to a valid file.

A failing hard disk would also cause this problem due to VirtualDJ not being able to actually read the song from the disk.

To fix this problem for songs that have been moved, renamed or deleted, use VirtualDJ to browse to the drive(s)/folder(s) where your music is located, right-click on them and choose Add to search DB.

Once you have done this, go to CONFIG -> Browser, choose each drive in turn where you have music stored and click on CHECK.

If any problems are found, click on FIX.

You can remove the old redundant database entries by clicking on CLEAN.

NOTE: You should backup your VirtualDJ database and settings on a regular basis if the information (BPM, comments, etc.) contained in it is important to you. If using external drives, you should also backup the database found at the root of each drive. Also, please ensure that you backup your entire music collection.

These are found in /users/YOURNAME/Documents/VirtualDJ or /users/YOURNAME/Library/VirtualDJ for new installations of VirtualDJ v7.0.3. Local databases for each external drive can be found at the root of each drive.

Posted Wed 04 May 11 @ 7:10 am
Plus one on the Seagate. I had an external drive and it lasted about 6 months, then it crapped out

Posted Wed 04 May 11 @ 6:45 pm
tookeptPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I'm glad I am not the only one who thinks seagate is a poor choice. As for the clean,fix, and check thing. I do not believe this is a total functioning utility. Every time I open vdj, I need to add my library to the database. I have gone through the steps that were stated by the team member. I like vdj so don't get me wrong, i just think that the utility doesn't work as intended.

Posted Fri 06 May 11 @ 8:18 am
This means that your database is probably not being saved due to permission issues.

Please check the permissions on your VirtualDJ folder are set correctly:

• Go to the /users/YOURNAME/Documents folder and right-click (CMD+click) on the VirtualDJ folder (Or /users/YOURNAME/Library/VirtualDJ if you have VirtualDJ v7.0.3 or above.)

• Choose Get Info from the pop-up menu.

• In the bottom right corner of the Get Info dialog, click on the pad-lock icon and unlock it (You will be prompted for your user password.)

• Then just above that to the left is the Permissions list. Make sure that your user account has Read/Write permissions set.

• Just below the Permissions box there is a button with a gear graphic on it - Click on it and choose the 'Apply to all included' items.

• Once changed, close the Get Info dialogue box to apply the changes.

NOTE: If you use external drives, you will also need to do the above for each external drive, if you have any.

Posted Fri 06 May 11 @ 8:40 am
Thank You for that piece of information!!! I have always wondered why I seemed to need to re-add my database daily, it became part of my daily routine. add to searchable database, fix, check, clean every drive etc. When you talk about external drives, can you explain a bit more? You just mean going through and granting permissions to the external drives right?

Posted Sun 29 May 11 @ 11:10 pm
Yes, if you have one or more external hard drives (I.e: USB or firewire) then you need to ensure that your user has permission to write to them, particularly the root of the drive (E.g: /volumes/MyExtDrive) where the local VirtualDJ database will be saved.

Posted Mon 30 May 11 @ 3:24 pm
I am on MBP. Under browser, database drive shows only "root".. can't select any other drive , and every song on teh drive is returning "error". Please help

Posted Fri 24 Apr 15 @ 8:35 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)