Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: what happened.........

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Ok big UPS to all skinners out there but its really starting to look cookie cutter out here. Everything is lookin the same.........and yes I know I can make my own but I don't really have time right now.

Get Creative Fellas..............
Huey

Posted Thu 31 Mar 11 @ 4:34 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Huey, i'm not sure if you refer to some particular skinner or skin, but you have to understand that each skinner has his own style. So it's quite normal and at the same time quite difficult to be different each time he makes a skin.

Posted Thu 31 Mar 11 @ 4:38 pm
I can't agree more with djdad on this...
Each "skinner" has his style... I tend to release skins that I create for personal usage and then I update them to become more useful to the mases. Also creating skins is time consuming. Personally I'm a graphics maniac when it comes to skinning... Every "single" element on my skins is a composition of several layers on Photoshop.
Finally I believe that the more "eye candy" a skin is, the less truly useful functionality it provides, and most of all, the less browser space it provides.
When I create my skins I try to gain every pixel possible for browser area!

Posted Thu 31 Mar 11 @ 5:24 pm
Well theres a typo, its HUEY, lol! And no its not aimed at anyone in particular. I was just stating that the skins are looking the same. Most are dark colored, most have the same red,blue,yellow and green waves. Most have the same icons. Most that have spinners use Numark, Denon, Reloop slipmats. Where's the personal touch?? It seems like let's put out a skin get 200 downloads and collect.........and like I said I could make my own. And I'm not ripping anyone so no one take offense, please, but when I look through the skin section nothing pops out at me. And yes I know how much work goes into a skin, I have made more then a few... Well maybe since summer time is coming how about some daytime skins for outdoor events and I don't mean something done with the resizer.........

Like I said big UPS to all skinners, inspire me, make me want to use your skin, lol!!
Huey

Posted Thu 31 Mar 11 @ 5:35 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
beatbreaker1 wrote :
Well theres a typo, its HUEY, lol!

I edited my post, sorry. I'm sure that you will make a typo too if i write my original christian name which is Charalambos. ..lol

I'm not 100% with you at this. I think that in the Download Page, you may find all kind of skins. Dark, bright, colored, fancy, minimal, full range, video, karaoke, timecode, touchscreen, multideck, etc.

I'm quite sure that all categories and all styles are there. A few weeks ago i opened a thread with the wrong title maybe, to seek what a user would like from a skin. I still seek for some conclusions.

As for the collect comment... yes you might be right. But that's not me. I do some skins for the mass and the downloads, but i also do some just for fun. A few days ago i uploaded (not yet approved) a skin for Jukebox to work with a touchscreen. I really don't expect many downloads from this, as you may understand, but i enjoyed that skin more than any other.

For me skinning is more fun that anything else.

Posted Thu 31 Mar 11 @ 5:52 pm
Ok I still don't agree but I understand where you guys are coming and yeah that jukebox was nice, I think it'll get more downloads then you think :-)
Looks like I'm gonna have to make some time and get a new skin started hell I'm still using Dan's skin blacksheep or my own, SweetScratch x4, lol! Either way you guys do amazing work!!

Topic locked, lol!
Huey

Posted Thu 31 Mar 11 @ 6:34 pm
beatbreaker1 wrote :

1. Most are dark colored,
2. most have the same red,blue,yellow and green waves.
3. Most have the same icons.
4. Most that have spinners use Numark, Denon, Reloop slipmats. Where\'s the personal touch??
5. It seems like let\'s put out a skin get 200 downloads and collect.........and like I said I could make my own.
6. but when I look through the skin section nothing pops out at me.

Huey

1. Dark is the best option since we all work at dark environments... High contrast colors make it hard to the eye, especially after a few hours!
2. I could agree with you on that one, but there\'s a small \"issue\" there... Not all colors can blend well with each other. Personally I can\'t find a color combo that can blend better from red/blue.
3. Again, creating new icons is something good but you can\'t re-invent the wheel, especially in such small place. I know that there are 5 or 6 icon sets floating around various skins though... (mine included)
4. I hate \"branded\" spinners e.t.c. However most users like them. They tend to download skins that reminds them their gear. Maybe that\'s the reason most \"skinners\" use these types of spinners...
5. I don\'t think that\'s the logic of most \"skinners\". However it helps keeps things going...
6. I agree with you on this one and that\'s the reason I keep creating my own skins...

You didn\'t mention the biggest problem with skins at all:
Most users want their skin to look like their gear! Take a look on the forum... It\'s full from requests for skins like the \"X\" piece of hardware...
Take a look on the skins download section: 75-80% of the available skins are real hardware imitations...
Because of this fact most \"skinners\" will also \"copy\" real hardware gear when creating skins, something that\'s way limiting!!!

I believe that the skin philosophy should change... Skins should work as supplementals of your hardware, and not as on screen copies of it...
That\'s what I tried to achieve with Ghost LE, and that\'s what djdad did (better than me) with G.R.O.M.
Soon enough I will be releasing a new skin that follows completely this concept: No buttons, no sliders, e.t.c... Only visuals and textzones...The rest are already located on your controller!

BTW: There's no need to lock this thread... :P
It's a good place to have a nice conversation for thoughts and considerations about skins ;)

Posted Fri 01 Apr 11 @ 3:13 am
Hi contrast skins are bad because if used in a club when looking at the screen it illuminates your face and you have to smile all the time which is a nightmare. I saw this when a DJ took off from me and before I left I stayed back to have a drink and though dam that must be what I looked like.

I like to see polished skins with all the buttons in scale and the lines all lining up with each other, I think it's an art form and you have to pay attention to the detail.

Like our sound systems your always trying to fit as much as possible into a confined space but I think most skins go to far by trying to fit so much in that they look complex or just plain crammed.

Your skin above Phantom looks great but even this is to crammed for me.

Posted Fri 01 Apr 11 @ 4:26 am
@Phantom, maybe thats what I'm seeing, all those controller skins. After a while they just all look the same. And yes I agree, skins shouldnt look like controllers. As far as skins with NO buttons I did that months ago....................seems like its just catching on now. Mine only had 6 buttons and those were DJC buttons for the RMX. Looks like I was ahead of the curve, lol!! And that picture has caught my eye!! Why you ask, cause of all the color. I dont know maybe I'm still alittle burnt from my days as a kid, lmao!! Anyways what skin is that picture from cause that look good!!

@Charlie you dont smile all the time..........shame on you, Lmao!! I'm playin I know what your sayin.

Huey

Posted Fri 01 Apr 11 @ 7:26 am
beatbreaker1 wrote :
As far as skins with NO buttons I did that months ago....................seems like its just catching on now.

Anyways what skin is that picture from cause that look good!!
Huey

1. We all did that at some point... :P My first "no buttons" skin for VDJ was made in June of 2009 for my HC4500 (which also has a display)... But the "logic" back then was to include as many buttons as possible... So I didn't publish it... Times change, and now it seems that "no button" skins may become more popular and not burst into flames!

2. It's from Ghost OSD Edition which is not released yet... Maybe next week ;)

Posted Fri 01 Apr 11 @ 8:05 am
Lol!! Nice! Well ill definitely be checkin it out if you don't add to much more. Cause the picture has everything I need time pitch and key. Those are the main things for they rest is all overkill, info wise.

Patiently waiting, lol!
Huey

Posted Fri 01 Apr 11 @ 8:18 am
well,I understand what you are saying Huey, but I have to argue that my dashlight 2.0 skin is completely original andwhile it is still blue red (sort of) i didn't model it after any existing controllers and everything on in is my own personal design.

And while TRACE PRO is an obvious nod to the TRON movie, it is still a completely original design.

:-(

Posted Fri 01 Apr 11 @ 9:57 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
Whats wrong with just using the default skin? ;)

Posted Sun 03 Apr 11 @ 10:09 am
Panels .............to many. I'm not a fan of panels and yes even my skins have had to many panels for my liking. Just a personal preference I guess. I don't like switching from 1 thing just to see if another is turned on or off or to activate this and that. And yes I know about keyboard shortcuts but to me that's the same as a panels, gotta remember what's what and which key, can all get over whelming in the moment.
@CB, those aren't really my flavor, don't take it personal.

Huey

Posted Sun 03 Apr 11 @ 1:49 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)