Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Plugins

Topic: Invalide character in database XML

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Hi everybody,

maybe you could give me some background information about the database xml of VDJ.
Why does VDJ accept characters that are illegal according to the XML specifications?

Currently I'm trying to write a little database tool.
Therefore I have to "import" the db into my program.
But sometimes I get an error saying that the db could not be load because of an illegal character in the db.
Mostly in the comment tag.

So, does anybody know how VDJ handles this problem?

Posted Thu 03 Mar 11 @ 3:46 am
Try to catch the error to see what's the character that causes the parser to halt.
However since I'm writing a db tool myself in VB.NET I can tell you that the only "special" character you should treat on your code is CRLF (Carriage Return / Line Feed) since COMMENTS can have these characters...

Finally keep in mind that the V6 XML Database is UTF-8, not ANSI. You should keep that in mind too if someone of the users of your up uses a language with "special" characters (like Greek). They are legal characters for UTF-8, but "illegal" for ANSI...

Posted Thu 03 Mar 11 @ 3:58 am
Hi, thanks for your response.

Yes I know that it is utf-8. All illegal characters are:

0×00
0×01
0×02
0×03
0×04
0×05
0×06
0×07
0×08 0x0B
0x0C
0x0E
0x0F 0×10
0×11
0×12
0×13
0×14
0×15 0x1A
0x1B
0x1C
0x1D
0x1E
0x1F
0×16
0×17
0×18
0×19 0x7F

If you don't have a solution for your VB Problem check this out.
I'm trying it with C#.NET but still implementing it so I dont know if it really works.
But seems so:

http://seattlesoftware.wordpress.com/2008/09/11/hexadecimal-value-0-is-an-invalid-character/

Posted Thu 03 Mar 11 @ 5:21 am
Actually I don't have any issues reading the XML database with VB.NET because I don't use an XML parser but I parse the file myself with my own routines!!!

Posted Thu 03 Mar 11 @ 12:26 pm
How do you handle illegal charactes in your parser?

My problem is the <comment> tag in the xml.
If here is a < character or a > i get an exception while loading.

Posted Fri 04 Mar 11 @ 4:29 am
I parse the XML file as PLAIN text and I have implemented my own "XML node" handling. This way I always "clean" the input for ANY kind of strange characters/symbols e.t.c.

Posted Fri 04 Mar 11 @ 8:04 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)