Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Numark usb mixer not working - need help!

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

gileskPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Hi everyone,

This is my first post. I'm a long time lurker and I purchased vdj quite a while ago and love it to bits. I've only been getting serious with it lately hence the need for this post.

I purchased the Numark usb mixer (DXM 01) and it arrived today however nothing and I mean nothing I do will get it to work. I know the mixer itself is fine as I tested the phono inputs using my portable mp3 player. It doesn't even work as a soundcard using Winamp for example. I've literally checked everything. Drivers, inputs, outputs, levels etc. I'm using XP and it days that the (two) usb devices are working fine but no sound or even an indication of sound on the levels of the mixer.

Does anyone have any idea what might be the problem here as I'm as a complete loss and I'm pretty frustrated. Could the usb inputs be faulty on the mixer hence no sound at all??? If that's the case I'll have to send it back which would be a pain. My usb ports are fine as well as I previously used a usb soundcard and I tested it again just to make sure upon realising that the mixer is not function properly.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated from reading these forums for a while I know you guys are great for this sort of thing.

Thanks in advance.

Giles

Posted Wed 20 Jul 05 @ 5:22 am
Just to add:

I can use the mixer in the traditional way using the phono inputs but as one of my soundcards (the internal one) is absolutely rubbish the sound quality is very distorted when the sound is on that channel. It's fine on my external usb soundcard. This definitely clears up the fact that mixer itself is working perfectly. Of course it also defeats the whole purpose of me buying this particular mixer as I was attracted by the fact that it has two high-quality 24bit usb soundcards built-in to it!!!

Posted Wed 20 Jul 05 @ 6:54 am
http://www.virtualdj.com/forum/display.html?topic=14132

check out that thread mate.

SOunds like you;ve fallen into the same trap that i have. iT Apears the Numark cannot be used with TCV so im destined to be buying the MAYA44 external USB card anyway even though when i set out i did what you seem to have done and thought the numark sounded different and exciting and that it would work...unfortunately it seems that it wont! i assume that it will be fine once i have a MAYA44 but if not im stitched double because i wont be able to send it back by now i doubt!

Posted Wed 20 Jul 05 @ 10:17 am
dxm01 soundcards are working even if the mixer is turned off they are powered from usb i hope.
ensure that the mixer is on (i once make this happen and was wondering of no sound)

switch your inputs at the backside of the mixer to USB

switch the input on the top switch to the input

adjust your gain on the mixer to the middle

be aware that in windows both cards have same name !!!

adjust the volume in windows sound mixer to maximum (it is setup to middle by default - it's quiet almost) for both usb cards

in winamp try to change config in directx or wawe output and choose one of the usb soundcards

if this won't help, try do disable the onboard soundcard in the windows device manager.

Posted Wed 20 Jul 05 @ 10:48 am
DJ Outlaw I know what you're referring too but I know the mixer isn't supposed to act as a midi controller or affect the functions of the vdj software in anyway I don't want it for this!

Lopez thanks I'll try everything you've said and see if I can get a sound signal to the mixer. Something tells me it won't work but fingers crossed! :)

Posted Wed 20 Jul 05 @ 10:52 am
I was about to do just what you were referring to Lopex453 then my pc sorta crashed and I got frustrated and just turned it off and on again and guess what, suddenly the sound is going to the mixed throught the usb!!! Sometimes I really wonder about computers... :)

Anyway I've got that sorted thank god but it appears I have another problem which I'm sure you'll know how to fix (you have the same mixer right?). Basically I've setup the mixer in the settings of vdj but I only get loud clear sound out of channel 1. When I cross over to channel 2 it's very very low and bass-weak so something is definitely not right. Any ideas??? I've played around with the settings but to no avail. Also just in case it matters I only got one usb cable with the mixer so I'm using another standard one that I came with my other creative soundcard. That shouldn't make a difference should it as essentially they're identical from what I can see...

Posted Wed 20 Jul 05 @ 11:15 am
Got it sorted!!! Just needed to turn up the sound on the other card... thanks for all the help anyway... :)

Posted Wed 20 Jul 05 @ 12:31 pm
So, it works OK as a mixer/sound card all-in-one, right. Cool. The big wet-dream would be when you are capable of using 2 TCV's using the Numark mixer along with it's sound cards. :)
Was thinking about the issues you had.. Switch the mixer on before booting up and/or launching VDJ. My DJ Console is kinda stupid. It has to be connected to the 1 USB as it was when installed + booted up before launching VDJ.

Posted Wed 20 Jul 05 @ 2:44 pm
I'm happy you sorted it out :-)

SOmetimes windows remembers the volumes sometimes not. Even if I plug the to the same usb port

Posted Wed 20 Jul 05 @ 3:24 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)