Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: HELP! BUILDING PC FOR VDJ!!!

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

DJKicePRO InfinityMember since 2005
I am building a dedicated PC for virtual dj but I don't know where to start
I want the best combination of hardware to run the program smoothly, im not really interested in video mixing, just the standard mixing. I WANT SOMETHING RELIABLED AND DEPENDABLE BUT NOT EXPENSIVE

CPU Wise, I don't know which I should go from the below
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ S939
Pentium 4 3.0Ghz, 775, 2mb Cache

Next think would be case, its all about the look I guess
I don't know whether to go shuttle or use an antec aria mini pc or even something that looks better than both. I want it to be pretty portable, but to look sexc. I was thinking of a rackmount case but they are very PRICY!

Next thing would be ram
I would have four slots, should I buy 4 x 1gb ddr ram modules or 4 x 512 ddr ram modules?

Sound Card
I would need something that is ASIO and no more than $200AUD. Because I run the Time coded vinyls

Windows
Which version of windows would be best stable and reliable?

I've already got 2 x 200gb hard disk drives so that should be fine

As for board and video card i will just get according ones to what cpu and ram i choose.

cd-drives not really relivent

Windows
Which version of windows would be best stable and reliable?

Posted Sat 09 Jul 05 @ 4:35 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
Check this ALL and then take your option.

http://www.virtualdj.com/forum/display.html?topic=13726

If you go for Intel, use HT on and your memory un dual channel an DDR 400. If you go for 1GB use 4 256MB DDR 400 or 2 512 MB DDR 400. I highly recomend that use an Intel motherboard with an Intel Processor. Your processor most be the 531 (3GHz, 1MB Cache, FSB 800) or 631 (3GHz, 2MB Cache, FSB 800).

Intel is my option, but you maybe go for AMD Chip because there are cheaper and have a very good performance.

The sound card, go for Maya 44 USB. Work really fine with TCVs.

Video Card PCI Express x16 go for Nvidia 6600 or ATI x600 or higher.

Posted Sat 09 Jul 05 @ 6:09 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
In Windows go for Windows XP Professional SP2. I wait another year for Windows XP 64 because that's the time Microsoft correct the problems in the new releases.

The memory used in pairs have more performance in a Intel Chip. If your motherboard support DDR2 go for the max speed it supports (DDR2 533 or DDR2 667) you have more bandwith and more performance with that. If you want 1GB of RAM use 2 512MB modules. If you want 2GB use 2 1GB modules or 4 512MB modules.

Good Luck!

Posted Sat 09 Jul 05 @ 6:28 pm

Posted Sun 10 Jul 05 @ 6:53 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)