Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: BPM and CBG alignment Tutorial

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I saw a Club DJ using Virtual DJ to mix latin music. He played the night thru and he's a regular at the club. Turned out 1 of my friends knew the guy, so I asked him to see his studio. So he took me down and he started explaning things to me. So here's what I got out of it, and I tried it out at his studio. Its prettyyyyyy easy stuff.

BPM and CBG alignment Tutorial
=======================

For any type of song that has a stedy tempo (great for R&B, HIPHOP and REGGAE).

1. load up a song into the left deck
2. beside the number 1 for the first deck there's a BPM button, click on it and it will open the "Adjust BPM Values" window
3. don't do anything to this new, but do take notice to the "Manual Beat Tap" button, we'll be using this in step 5
4. Click the Play button on the left deck
5. As the song starts, start tapping on the "Manual Beat Tap" button, until the "Achors Distance" reaches 64 beats. NOTE: Don't hesitate when tapping on the "Manual Beat Tap" button. Be firm when clicking on your mouse.
6. Click "OK" on the "Adjust BPM Values" window
7. click the Stop button on the left deck.
8. Find the 1st downbeat you can hear in the song (this would be the kick/bass drum). Do this by turning the vinyl clock/counter clock wise. And line it up perfectly so that the peak of the down beat is lined up with the Green line under the Automix button (Top Center of screen)
9. Check to see if there is a bix solid box under that 1st beat, and 3 smaller solid boxes to the right of it (under the wave form). If so, your done. Else go to the next step
10. Click the BPM button (as you did in step 2)
11. Click the "Edit BPM" tab. You will notice there is "Phase" slider and "" arrows.
12. If the alignment of the big solid box is very distant to the Solid Green line that we mentioned (the line under the Automix button) then grab the "Phase" slider and move it to the left or right until the front end of the big solid green box is lined up perfectly. If you require minimal changes than use the "" arrows as required.
13. Click "OK"

Presto you are done.

:)

BTW, I am not a DJ, I am just fascinated about how complex things work in this world of ours. How people make a lot of money doing what they do, and how hard is it really to do what they do. I don't have a copy of the software (illegal or purchased). Just thought i'd mention that before someone looks at how long I've been on this board and starts shooting me as they did with some other guy in the "Creating the Perfect CD" thread.

Posted Fri 01 Jul 05 @ 5:54 pm
claxPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Oh now I can see your pseudo. Welcome.

Posted Fri 01 Jul 05 @ 10:05 pm
djejPRO InfinityMember since 2004
That's one way to do it. Or, you can look in DJ-In-Norways blog on how to make shortcuts to adjust CBG's...then you can hit the slash key and move the CBG to align :) Of course, this is good advice about how to use the manual tap BPM if you have songs that are not being analyzed well and you don't want to just use mixmeister BPM analyzer.

Posted Wed 06 Jul 05 @ 9:29 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)