Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: *another* laptop suggestion

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hey guys,

I have some TCV and decks, now I want a fairly inexpensive lappy to cart around with me. I've decided to get a laptop over a rack mounted system for a number of reasons, so please don't suggest this as an alternative :P

Any idea what I could have for the minimum specs? Dell has some good deals ATM , with 35% off already cheap prices.

I was thinking something like...

Pentium M 1.73
1 gig ram
17" screen
100 gb hard drive
nvidia 6800 128mb

for about $1400/1500
Do you think this would do for (audio only) mixing w/TCV?

cheers everyone.

Posted Fri 01 Jul 05 @ 3:01 am
Check out ACER computers aswell, they are quite cheap.. For audio only, you will manage quite well with less power in CPU and RAM...
I manage excellent with AMD XP-M 2600+, 512 RAM (-64MB for video) 15" display 40GB HD (250GB external drive), so it is always a question in what you want and what you really need...
I, however, don't use TCV's. But is there a big difference?

Posted Fri 01 Jul 05 @ 5:40 pm
thanks antileon, yeah i imagine I won't need a whole heap of power, but I want the laptop to last through the next few versions of vdj as well

Posted Fri 01 Jul 05 @ 8:38 pm
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
@ninja

You will save some money and get more power for you buck if you avoid Centrinos, Celeron-M's and Pentium-M's. Otherwise, you pay extra for the luxury of extra battery life and speed-step technology, etc. Of course, I am assuming you plan to use the lappy plugged in and the battery is just there in case of power problems, so, like me, 5 minutes of battery is probably more than enough for you? ;)

Posted Fri 01 Jul 05 @ 11:43 pm
frd - good point, size/battery isn't really an issue in this case..

Posted Sat 02 Jul 05 @ 1:45 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)