Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Plugins

Topic: Help making launchpad definition file please!

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

So I bought the Novation Launchpad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMgxLPcq-3o (looks cool, right!?)

I'm trying to make it work with vdj. The simple midi wrapper will let me program each button to a function, but I can't see a way to make it light up the LEDs. So I guess that means I need to make a definition and mapper file for it.

I've managed to make the empty definition and mapper files and used the driver name to make vdj recognise when the device is plugged in.

But I don't really understand midi codes just yet! Using midi trace I get this:

90 00 7F 00 - when i press the top left button
90 00 00 00 - when I release the top left button

From reading a little bit on the internet this is what I came up with...

90 seems to be just constant?

the first 00 is the channel number?

the 7F is either a midi note or a CC value?

the final 00 is the velocity?

I don't know if this is a note or a CC value (or something else!) and also I'm not confident in being able to write the definition correctly. Here's what I have...

<button channel="00" cc="7F" name="pad 1-1" />

Any help would be really appreciated!

Posted Wed 20 Oct 10 @ 4:08 am
AdvokutPRO InfinityMember since 2010
hi andy, i just got a launchpad myself and i´m about to write a def for it. We should corporate on this one. I will check back tomorrow, as i allready made a definition and a mapper for another controller once, i just have to take a look at it again to get back into the language.

Could you please post the first few lines of your def? And did you include the vid and pid ?

greetz, advokut

Posted Wed 20 Oct 10 @ 9:12 pm
Yep, collaboration would be a great idea! I've never made a definition before but I've got quite ambitious plans to make a mixer mode as well as a mode for hot cues and triggering effects and samples.

I've now got a couple of buttons working, no idea at all about the LEDs, although somewhere I saw that LED colour is controlled by the velocity value in the midi message.

Here's the definition:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<device name="Novation Launchpad" author="Taylor Taylor" type="MIDI" drivername="Launchpad" decks="1">
<button channel="00" note="00" name="1-1" />
<button channel="00" note="01" name="1-2" />
</device>

And here's the mapper:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<mapper device="Novation Launchpad" author="TaylorTaylor" description="Novation Launchpad" version="700" date="20/10/2010">
<map value="1-1" action="hot_cue 1" />
<map value="1-2" action="hot_cue 2" />
</mapper>

Posted Thu 21 Oct 10 @ 3:27 am
thats a lot of work there andy,how would you use this? along side something with Decks?

Posted Fri 22 Oct 10 @ 7:42 pm
@andytaylor125 and @Advokut - How is this project coming along? I have the Novation Launchpad and have been trying to map it out as well. Thanks for this thread.

Posted Sat 11 Dec 10 @ 11:49 am
I have a first draft finished and submitted to the site, but they haven't approved it yet.

The only problem with it is that the lights don't come on when you plug the unit in, they only come on once you've pressed the button for the first time. To fix the problem, I think I'd need to re-write the whole thing, but I'll only bother doing that if there's people that are interested.

Hope that helps. If the site doesn't put it up- I can just send you what I've got.

Posted Sat 11 Dec 10 @ 12:18 pm
Im interested, i have a show next sunday and i just bout my launchpad but i have no clue how to mapp it

Posted Wed 06 Jul 11 @ 2:45 pm
Hi the launchpad mapper is available here

http://www.virtualdj.com/addons/12298/Launchpad.html

But only to registered users I'm afraid, if you own the software already then you just have to register your serial number to get access to skins and plugins like this.

Cheers.

Posted Wed 06 Jul 11 @ 5:05 pm
djilayHome userMember since 2004
hi i'm from venezuela, i have the launchpad and i really need the mapping you made, if you can send it to me please.

Posted Thu 20 Oct 11 @ 3:38 am
Sorry, mappers are only available to registered licensed users who have purchased the full VirtualDJ Professional: http://www.virtualdj.com/buy/index.html

Nobody will send you an add-on to which you are currently not entitled.

Posted Thu 20 Oct 11 @ 4:50 am
djilayHome userMember since 2004
help me map the launchpad.

Posted Wed 26 Oct 11 @ 2:41 am

Posted Wed 26 Oct 11 @ 3:33 am
HI, I made a device definition and mapper by myself you can download it free if you want. but I can't make a device definition from the system buttons on top of the launchpad. I would appreciate if someone knows how i have to do that.

Posted Tue 03 Jan 12 @ 11:30 am
tnjedgtPRO InfinityMember since 2012
Armed with VDJ Pro, I downloaded files for an AKAI MPK49 and a Launchpad....

No luck getting VDJ to recognize the hardware so far! I've turned Automap off and rebooted; and looking in the mapper/definition folders there are files for both controllers that came from the config download here at the forum.

Im close! Help would be appreciated, any advice?
Thanks~~

Posted Mon 12 Mar 12 @ 7:34 pm
Hi, have a look in the virtual dj downloads section for something called "miditrace" - open that program and then press a few buttons on the launchpad- numbers and letters should start appearing in the main window when you press a button- if not you know it's not installed correctly- if they do, then you know it's not that!

There's also something to do with languages where if you have a different language set up it might not work- could that be your issue?

Posted Tue 13 Mar 12 @ 1:41 am

Posted Tue 13 Mar 12 @ 5:12 am
How does the launchpad go with a set? Have been wanting an excuse to get one for some months, particularly since getting my residency - but am curious - for example would I be able to use it - as a no nonsense cue and loop tool?

Posted Fri 16 Mar 12 @ 1:09 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)