Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: TCV setup waveform perfect. 0% signal

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

So, I just got new turntables in today and for some reason or another, I can only get a signal out of one of them. The other one has a perfectly matched signal, however, it states 0% and no amount of gain makes it greater than 0.

I'm using a Maya44USB and Y spiltters on phono RCAs from the SL-1200Mk2s. One set goes to the phono input on my mixer and the other goes into the inputs of the Maya. The outputs of the maya go to the mixer line level inputs. I have the tables grounded to the mixer, however, I have tried grounding them to laptop. I swapped around plugs into different RCA plugs on the mixer and soundcard so I know that I only have the problem with one of the turntables. I borrowed a friend's Audigy2ZS notebook and got that non working one to work by itself using ASIO4ALL; however, hooking it all back to the maya left me in the same position. I know that normally perfect waveform but no signal is a grounding issue, but I can't figure this out. I had everything running perfectly fine on my Numark TTX-1's setup the exact same way that I have it setup now.

Thoughts anyone?

Posted Sat 18 Jun 05 @ 3:38 pm
You HAVE to ground them to the computer. You have to. No grounding to the mixer, or you will get 0%

Posted Sat 18 Jun 05 @ 6:58 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
check for phase being correct

Posted Sat 18 Jun 05 @ 7:23 pm
The phase is perfectly matched and grounding to the computer does nothing different. I gounded to the mixer before and got 100% on both TT with my Numarks and worked with no problems. Any other ideas?

Just to check though, is touching the grounds from the TTs to the back of the laptop, say the parallel port metal part, considered grounded? What do other people who use laptops ground to?

Posted Sat 18 Jun 05 @ 11:41 pm
djejPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I think DJ Cyder is talking about whether the phase is inverted or not. One of my tables is inverted and one isn't. That might help.

I ground to the screw in the laptop case near the power supply and it works perfect. Also, this sounds like an easy way out, but sometimes (rarely) I lose needle drop and then check and sure enough I lost TCV signal. I restart the program and the magical technology fairy fixes it every time :)

Posted Tue 21 Jun 05 @ 4:30 pm
One thing that your mentioning is that you had the TTxs setup the same way as the techs 1200s

there is a difference between the 2

Numark : NO GROUND CABLE!!!! These are digital turntables
Technics 1200s: 1 Ground cable and must be grounded to the PC.

I have a pair of TTxs and the ground is connected along with the power cable.

Best Regards

DJ White Devil

Posted Tue 21 Jun 05 @ 4:40 pm
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
I have Numark TTs and they have ground cable, but at desktop i even do not need them. At laptop i have problems with signal posted here: http://www.virtualdj.com/forum/display.html?topic=13163
I decided to use desktop with TCVs and it works even without ground cable.

Dj Nikki

Posted Tue 21 Jun 05 @ 5:34 pm
Thanks for the responses guys. Unfortunately all attempts to ground to the laptop or otherwise seemed to have failed. I'm almost thinking that there is a possibility that the ground wire might have come undone internally...anyone know how I might go about checking it?

As for phase and every other option under the TC setup, I've tried checking and unchecking everything in every combination...pullin' my hair out over this. I've even tried buying the "ground loop isolaters" that radio shack and other such stores sell and that didn't help either.

Now I have a setup where I can get both TT to work. It requires that I use not only the Maya, but also an additional Audigy2 ZS notebook. If I plug the one TT that didn't work right into this sound card, then I don't even have to ground it and I get 100%. This setup is obviously less than optimal since I have to rely upon my friend's soundcard. What is going on here?

Posted Wed 22 Jun 05 @ 4:16 am
Very strange. You seemed to have isolated the problem in that you can get them both to work on different soundcards. I'm thinking you have some issue with the Maya. Did you use the same cables that you used from the non-working Maya deck to make it work with the other s/c? I had a problem and went crazy and it turned out to be cables. You may want to install the latest Maya drivers as well. I use Maya and have no problems. The ground loop isolators are not part/solution to your problem. The help improve sound quality. And other people have posted that grounding, while needed for best quality, usually isn't necessary for some signal to read. If you're getting 0% I think the s/c isn't communicating with the computer on that decks channel. Triple check all your cables to be certain you have the running correctly and try to reinstall Maya drivers. I'd start there.

Posted Wed 22 Jun 05 @ 9:23 pm
So I have a new idea as to my possible problems. I have one US and one EU SL-1200. The US one works perfectly fine with the Maya (100% signal), whereas the EU one has a perfect waveform but no signal no matter what settings I try. I have checked, double-checked, and triple-checked the cables, so that is not the issue. Is is possible that the EU version grounds differently? Or could it be that I use a converter adapter to standard US plugs to use the EU turntable and that causes a grounding issue? I am completely stumped and have tried pretty much everything other than using a different turntable. I'll attempt to test this setup at my friend's place with different turntables and hopefully everything works like it should.

Posted Fri 24 Jun 05 @ 1:10 pm
Well Frothy, I think you're in some new territory. The only thing that is still strange is that you were able to get it to work on another soundcard. I am guessing like you that the voltage adaptor could be at the root of some problems. I'm sure there are people in this forum that use EU 1200's with the maya with no problem. Hopefully someone will come forward with your same situation. I'd search the forum for grounding issues and see if anything comes up you can try. Good luck.

Posted Fri 24 Jun 05 @ 3:20 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)