Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: Reversing the Virtual DJ Icon in a skin for projection use

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi all,

I'm just in the process of having a new booth ('Konsole') built, but due to its design I'm going to end up with the Virtual DJ Icon appearing, to the audience, reversed...so...

Does anyone know if it can be reversed (flipped horizontally)?

I hope that the 'Konsole' will be ready for testing in the next few days, so I'll post more about that in the appropriate forum when appropriate.

Thanks in advance.

Simon

Posted Wed 15 Sep 10 @ 6:07 am

Posted Wed 15 Sep 10 @ 6:57 am
Huey,

thanks for that, but its not what I'm looking for.

Simon

Posted Wed 15 Sep 10 @ 7:04 am
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
sounds like your using a projector and not tv/screens, if that is the case controls to flip the output image should be on your projector.

If you are using tv/screens the output image will be the same as you see on your machine.

If neither of the above are correct could you explain more on what is going on.

You could also just disable the icon if you wanted to, go to config > video look in the options panel and select hide logo.

Posted Wed 15 Sep 10 @ 7:15 am
Tayla,

thanks for your reply...but alas it doesn't solve the problem

Sorry I should have been a little clearer...

I've created a skin, and as far as I know you have to include the LOGO tag so that Virtual DJ logo is displayed on the skin.

The system comprises of a projector, displaying the VDJ interface, which is projected the right way round onto a mirror that reflects the projected image onto a rear projection screen.

Now, as I'm flipping the image in the mirror, then viewing the projected image on a rear projection screen, the image is the correct way round (for me), but the problem arises because I want to position the VDJ logo, as well as my own branding, on the skin in a position that will be projected onto a reflective part of the rear projection screen so that the audience can see it.

I have flipped my branding, as part of the skin construction, but alas I can find no way of flipping the VDJ logo.

As soon as the unit is ready I will post pictures/videos which will demonstrate the problem

Simon

Posted Wed 15 Sep 10 @ 4:43 pm
This isn't possible in the current version.

I suggest posting this in the Wishes and New Features forum as this will have to added to a future release.

Posted Wed 15 Sep 10 @ 4:49 pm
Thanks for the reply Dan,

I had a feeling that this was the case, but thought I'd ask...I'll find a work-around I'm sure...

Simon

Posted Wed 15 Sep 10 @ 5:24 pm
You could always hide the logo since your a pro user that option is open for you.

Just a thought
Huey

Posted Wed 15 Sep 10 @ 5:46 pm
JeremKPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
No Huey, this is only in the video.

Simon Bailey is talking about the Skin. The logo is mandatory in every Skin.

Posted Thu 16 Sep 10 @ 4:33 am
would this work ?

Damn, sorry, just re read Dans post...

Posted Thu 16 Sep 10 @ 5:49 am
@tayla lol

@Simon

What you would need is something like this in the code:

<logo mirror="yes">
<size width="0" height="17"/>
<pos x="15" y="431"/>
</logo>

Posted Thu 16 Sep 10 @ 6:33 am
Dan, you've got it in a nutshell :)

As a programmer by trade, including the "Mirror" command could be easily implemented if my guess that the current logo is embedded in the exe and is called via the XML tag is correct. If so, then adding a "mirror" logo image within the exe and using this if (rather than the normal image) the "mirror" attribute is set to "yes" would be easy to implement.

But saying that, I think my implementation maybe a little too unique to warrant even that amount of work.

Simon

Posted Thu 16 Sep 10 @ 9:58 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
ummm ... if the VDJ logo is going to be backwards ... won't everything else be backwards as well ? How are you overcoming that?

And most quality projectors have a rear projection mode, so if the image is flipped, it flips the output so the imagery is seen correctly.

Posted Sat 18 Sep 10 @ 8:15 am
thats what I couldn't work out either...

Posted Sat 18 Sep 10 @ 7:53 pm
DJRTOMHome userMember since 2010
good .............

Posted Sun 19 Sep 10 @ 6:20 pm
Simon..not sure if the mirror its inside a unit? but could'nt you just reflect it once more unto another mirror so the image flips over once more?....(simple phisics my dear watson)....but as the crew mention..that Logo its "fixed" ...

Posted Sun 19 Sep 10 @ 8:05 pm
@ cstoll...The projector Im using has various output options (including rear projection), but as Im reflecting the output image from the projector, Im using front projection mode with which the image appears the correct way round to me...see simple diagram in the post. The audience will see Virtual DJ flipped (i.e. the wrong way round), but I wanted them to see the logo correctly (i.e. mirrored from my viewpoint).

By refleting the image output from the camera, I can do two things...

1) Keep the projector out of harms way (underneath the Konsole)

2) Reduce the effective throw of the projector.

@ Tracker...I could add another mirror on the underside of the screen, but to save me doing so was the purpose of this post.

Simon

Posted Mon 20 Sep 10 @ 4:01 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Do you think people are really going to stand there and look for a little graphic on the underside of your screen?

Most people I know are going to be having fun and dancing and really won't be in any interest to know what that logo is saying.

Don't get me wrong - product placement and advertising what software you are using is nice to be able to display. But I just don't think the 'majority' are going to be disappointed if they have to try and read the logo backwards. Also, our logo is obvious, so those that know what DJ software is will recognize the logo forwards or backwards.

Posted Mon 20 Sep 10 @ 6:27 pm
Got a point there Chris...too much of a hasstle...

Posted Mon 20 Sep 10 @ 9:37 pm
@ cstoll...i do agree with you which is why I am not that concerned, it was more a case of seeing if any solution existed.

Posted Tue 21 Sep 10 @ 5:31 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)