Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Videos can be scratched??

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hey guys, i loaded a WMV music video and it was playing fine until tried scratchin the deck..only the music was gettin scratched but the video got stuck on that same frame. Samething happened when i did a loop on the video. The whole video got stuck and i have to restart it.
Is it this way or should the video scratch along with the track too?
I use a nvindia GeforceFX5200 128mb VdOram, 512 mb ram, 1.6 GHz P4.
I would also like to know how i can use an external mixer to mix videos. Im confused, i dont have a mixer now, but i have ordered for one. ok, so, suppose i load 2 videos onto the 2 decks on vdj... then how can i mix the 2 videos without using the pc? (can you do that?) what will be the result?
It may be a sill y question but im not vey sure abt it...
Any help would just be great!
Thanks.

Posted Mon 13 Jun 05 @ 7:50 pm
looks like your system is seriously underpowered for video use..

Posted Mon 13 Jun 05 @ 10:46 pm
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
Djaditya,

I think you are confused about the video mixing. The video is all done within the program. You do not have the option of 2 output streams like you do with audio in VDJ allowing you to mix the audio yourself with an external mixer.
If it's external control of the video mix you are looking for, then you can use any MIDI controller and map a fader or dial to the video crossfader. You do not need a video mixer and in fact a video mixer would not do you any good unless you are looking to mix or switch other video sources with the already mixed VDJ video output.
I personally use the Hercules DJ Console and leave the audio and video crossfaders linked. Then I can use the Hercules crossfader to do audio and video. With various combinations of crossfader curves and the 4 transition types, I can make VDJ very usable, though I would also prefer external non-linked control for the video mix for more flexibility. For now if I need to manipulate the video independently, then I use the mouse... not ideal, but useable until I find a better hardware solution.

I hope this helps answer your questions about video mixing,
-Frd

Posted Mon 13 Jun 05 @ 11:39 pm
JeremKPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
First, you seem a bit short on RAM with only 512 to mix videos.
Secondly, WMV don't work that well on VDJ 3.01, prefer MPG1 they work great, i think you could use that on your PC.

For the video crossfading, using an external mixer, you can creat 2 keyshortcuts on your keyboard only for the video crossfading and you use the shortcuts with the crossfader on your mixtable.

Even better, have a midi compatible external mixer (they are very expensive).

Posted Tue 14 Jun 05 @ 12:34 am
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
Guys

even if he had enough ram the windows video files have some problems and its mainly due to the they way they are made (keyframes) The dev team is looking into this.

Posted Tue 14 Jun 05 @ 2:15 am
'Even better, have a midi compatible external mixer (they are very expensive).'

MIDI mixers like the FoxFader micromodul DJ1 are not expensive at all..

Posted Tue 14 Jun 05 @ 3:50 am
HomeboyPRO InfinitySupport ManagerMember since 2003
The UC33 is a good midi controller and can be purchased on the site. I have one and it works well with the crossfading of video.

Posted Tue 14 Jun 05 @ 5:02 am
I was talking about a real mixer that you can use without a computer, and that has midi outputs for controlling a computer.

I don't think i saw any of those under 800€

Posted Tue 14 Jun 05 @ 9:00 am
Well im not full time into Video Mixeing so i guess i'll settle for the KB shortcut idea by lej78480.
thanks a lot everyone.
Good day

Posted Tue 14 Jun 05 @ 12:44 pm
And, about the MPEG1, how do i rip my dvds into this format? is divx good for mixing? What software would you recommend for ripping videos from DVDs and how do i go about it?
thanks!
And hey, i have ordered for a Numark DXM01 usb mixer which im expecting to recieve soon. It does not have kill switches for the eqs...any alternatives that i can do with the MIXER only? (i know about keyboard shortcuts...)Will it kill the eqs completely if i turn the eq knobs completely to the left?
and what are the ideal settings when using an external mixer when it comes to gain settings and eq settings on VDJ? should i leave the eqs to normal and then physically change them using the mixer? what about the gain?
thanks for your answers!

Posted Tue 14 Jun 05 @ 12:50 pm
Divx isn't that good to play with VDJ.

To rip your dvds to mpg1 you can youse imtoo DVD ripper.
Or DVDx

Posted Tue 14 Jun 05 @ 1:02 pm
Visit doom9.org for excellent tutorials on DVD ripping and video conversion

Posted Tue 14 Jun 05 @ 1:29 pm
Ok thanks...but wat about the mixer eq settings i was talking about? Any help will be cool

Posted Tue 14 Jun 05 @ 3:04 pm
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
"Will it kill the eqs completely if i turn the eq knobs completely to the left?"

I think it will. My denon mixer kills frequency right. I tested with digital tester for frequency.

Dj Nikki

Posted Tue 14 Jun 05 @ 3:57 pm
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
Check the specs on the mixer for the gain level on each EQ band. A decent 'kill' would be achieved if the EQ gain is spec'd at -35dB, though kill switches are usually -40dB or better.

Posted Tue 14 Jun 05 @ 5:09 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)