Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: Need recommendations, best skin (1280x1024 or 1680x1050 rez) for VDJ Pro 6 & DJ Control Steel - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

djrxmxPRO InfinityMember since 2010
I run VDJ Pro 6 and Hercules DJ Control Steel on two systems.
The laptop has native resolution at 1680 x 1050,
and my other system, desktop, has native resolution 1280 x 1024.
I don't know that much regarding the skins options, but I am open to stellar suggestions.

Thanks.

Rick.

P.S. Currently I run the VDJ in the default skin. It kind of sucks because the default skin doesn't offer resolutions at full 1280 x 1024, nor at full 1680 x 1050 resolutions.

Posted Mon 23 Aug 10 @ 11:10 pm
ewitlesPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Condensed. I LOVE them.

And everyone who sees my 22" is immediately in awe.

My ACER 22" 1680x1050 that is... :)

Posted Tue 24 Aug 10 @ 10:57 am

Posted Tue 24 Aug 10 @ 5:26 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
The best option for me is to find a skin which fits to your resolution. Search the skin Download Section, choosing the right resolution filter and you should find some. Download them and choose what's best for your needs.

If you want to resize a skin it's recomended that you downresize (from higher resolution to lower). If you do the opposite, the graphics will not be sharp.

I am a skinner myself and i could propose you some skins. But the point is that YOU have to choose which one fits your needs and the way you mix. The best skin for me, might be bad for you.

Posted Tue 24 Aug 10 @ 6:28 pm
Correction:

Actually Virtual DJ Pro+ (v.6) actually has a skin for 1280x1024 resolution.
Therefore, my issue is solely for my laptop with native 1680x1050 resolution.

Posted Tue 24 Aug 10 @ 10:38 pm
JeremKPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
I am able to get a very good result with the Skin Resizer Tool using the "Smart Resize" option and a few tweeks.

I wasn't able to take a full size screenshot as my screen is only 1366x768:

Posted Wed 25 Aug 10 @ 7:55 am
ewitles wrote :
Condensed. I LOVE them.

And everyone who sees my 22" is immediately in awe.

My ACER 22" 1680x1050 that is... :)

Thanks for the feedback thus far guys.... Will be trying some different options.

As for EWITLES,
I have to say that I can see why you like the "Condensed" style. Imo, you are right on with this. It's very sweet. It is one of the best I have seen so far.

I am currently trying out the Condensed 1.5 HighRes (1680x1050) version. And I like quite a bit about it.

However, I have issue regarding the ability to see the dynamic Gain meter on associated deck(s). That is, VDJ's default skin allows you to visually see dynamic performance of Gain volume. This I like much. The main reason is for recording purposes (I like keeping tight control on a modest level of Gain so as to reduce any clipping in my set recordings; I use the VDJ's Record feature as it works well for my needs.). But all of the other user made skins that I have tried out thus far don't, frustratingly, show the dynamic Gain meter performance including Condensed skin.

Is the best option for me regarding recording and keeping control of Gain to just control the Master volume instead, as a work around (say at about 50% volume level, e.g.)?

Posted Wed 25 Aug 10 @ 8:40 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
If you want the power gain instead of regular.. do this

1.Unzip the skin.zip file to a folder.

2. Open the xml file

3. Edit the xml ...
Search for all gain
Replace all with power_gain

4. Save the xml and close

5.Zip all files in the folder.

6. Place that zip file in the Skins Folder.

You are done.

Posted Wed 25 Aug 10 @ 9:35 pm
djdad wrote :
If you want the power gain instead of regular.. do this

1.Unzip the skin.zip file to a folder.

2. Open the xml file

3. Edit the xml ...
Search for all gain
Replace all with power_gain

4. Save the xml and close

5.Zip all files in the folder.

6. Place that zip file in the Skins Folder.

You are done.

I really appreciate your feedback/suggestion, but in most cases working with computers and software, I am just not the type to edit code/settings. I really hate it and it is to committed, for a lack of better words. I know I'm kind of a cheese in that regard.

Also, I don't care about "power gain" features. I just am interested in the thing I was alluding to before regarding the dynamic meter as dictated by Gain activity.

Posted Wed 25 Aug 10 @ 9:43 pm
Below is my current rig setup.

Posted Fri 27 Aug 10 @ 9:29 pm

I'm in awe too, dude. That's sweet....

I had a lot of fun today recording a 3-hour progressive house mixed set using the Condensed skin. It's got some really nice tweaks/tools to take advantage of on the GUI. I'm running it on my 1680 rez wide screen lap top.

EDIT by JeremK: please don't quote a message when it is the last on the topic.

Posted Sat 28 Aug 10 @ 3:07 am
Thanks bro.

It really looks impressive from the guest perspective - not a 19" monitor on a 22" case. Looks more like a lid vs a display.

While I don't scratch (unless something itches), I do use his wave and wheels so I know when a beat is about to begin more precisely.

Now if I only had the sample display like in the default skins, would go from 95% to 98% perfect for my needs.

Posted Sat 28 Aug 10 @ 10:05 am
Can you rotate the picture next time, lol!! Nice little setup though,

Huey

Posted Sat 28 Aug 10 @ 10:50 am
Ewitles,

How did you hide the other part of the laptop?

The way you have your system arranged and configured, I've never seen something quite like that. It's beautiful. And I take it that the setup is also part of a case configuration. Once again, great job. I'm jealous, he he.

P.S. My setup is nothing too fancy. (This is before using the Condensed skin of course.) But I dig how VirtualDJ works seamlessly with M-Audio Conectiv; sound quality as such kicks ass.

Posted Sat 28 Aug 10 @ 1:17 pm

Posted Sat 28 Aug 10 @ 5:04 pm
Now I don't have to tilt my head, he he.

That setup, love it.

Posted Sat 28 Aug 10 @ 11:44 pm
Thanks Mod and others for the love.

There is no laptop. I built a 2U rack mount pc system w/ all kinds of stuff inside.

- Case is an SKB 84 DJ
- Two 4" fans to pull air out for better circulation
- Two EV RE2 wireless mics
- Surge power strip
- Rack tray (modified) w/ keyboard and mouse
- Acer 22" 1680x1050 monitor (sweeeeet)
- Gigaport AG
- American Audio Q-Spand MK II
- DAC-3
- Fan
- WiFi dongle

And that sits nicely on an X stand and I have the case skirted and secured w/ snaps.

Posted Sun 29 Aug 10 @ 12:53 am
clean setup "rxmx" ! I've got the Rmx but Recently spotted the "steel" on the used market and wondered about the sound card....humm

Posted Sun 29 Aug 10 @ 1:04 am
TO Ewitles:

The build and configuration - wow, quite brilliant. All-in-one including huge monitor, you simply can't go wrong with that system, imo.

TO Thetracker510:

Thanks man. When I was in market to get a decent controller, I wanted to keep my M-Audio Conectiv and pair with the other. It was kind of a risk, but I'm glad I did it. The driver support from Atomix is very good and proved thus far to be ideal for my setup.

Posted Sun 29 Aug 10 @ 6:18 pm
didimosHome userMember since 2010
Guys sorry to post here i didnt want to start a new topic just for one question. so i am getting to the point. is there a way for someone to send me the cdj 350 and djm 350 skin in my email? I would be very thankful. Thanks and sorry again for posting here

Posted Mon 30 Aug 10 @ 10:38 am
91%