Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Plugins

Topic: Song position display

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

So far, I have been playing around with Virtual DJ. I want to DIY a controller using a microcontroller. I know that on some controllers, there's a display with the current song's position and name on a deck. Is this data transmitted via MIDI or would I have to write a plugin?

Posted Wed 18 Aug 10 @ 12:48 am
TexZKPRO InfinityMember since 2005
As far as I know, there's the possibility to send the MIDI Timecode through a (USB-)MIDI port. So, if you're planning to make a DIY controller, expect to decode this kind of message (I think it's a Song Position MIDI message).
As for the name and deck number, I don't know. Read the Wiki and search for these info by yourself.

Posted Wed 18 Aug 10 @ 5:00 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Pretty much all data can be sent via MIDI or HID protocols.

Posted Wed 18 Aug 10 @ 5:59 am
LED's or display symbols that are on/off are typically controlled by the software sending MIDI note on/off messages.

Value fields such as track number, time (Mins, seconds, frames), etc. are sent as MIDI CC (Control Change) messages, which can have a value between 0 and 128.

For text displays, each character is sent as a CC (For 128 bit ASCII) or two CC's (14-bit LSB/MSB) for 256 bit extended.

See http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/ControllerDefinitionMIDI.html for further details.

Posted Wed 18 Aug 10 @ 12:35 pm
2 things (didn't want to start a new thread). Is there any way to do a static and active waveform display? Also, is it possible to map sliders to different loop lengths, where a movement 1/6th of the slider could change from 1 beat to 2 or 1/3 move from 1 to 4? Additionally, can I pulse an LED to the beat, like the SYNC buttion?

Posted Thu 19 Aug 10 @ 1:40 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
You can control loop length and you can pulse an LED to the beat.

Waveforms would be very difficult to accompish, especially via MIDI. I think you'd be looking at plugin territory for this and even then it would prove difficult.

Posted Thu 19 Aug 10 @ 6:08 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)