Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: how can i connect my laptop to an external mixer?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

j-bloodHome userMember since 2005
Hi djs,
i'm a dj from italy, i play with turntables in a lot of clubs, now i bought a laptop so i can also play mp3 files, and virtual dj is the perfect program.
But i really need to connect my laptop to my external numark dxm03 mixer so i can use its crossfader, controls and headphones.
By the way i think it's impossible with just the soundcard of my notebook, do i have to buy another soundcard (an external card, of course)? Or there's a way to double the signal so i can connect the output of my laptop to the line1 and line2 input of my mixer?
Thanks a lot.

J-blood

Posted Thu 09 Jun 05 @ 10:39 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
j-blood--

Yes, an external sound card is what you want for the best configuration... IMO.

Read through the instruction manual for setting up using TimeCoded Vinyl or CDs.
This will at least give you some insight on how your setup might look. If you don't plan
on expanding in the future to TCVs or TCCDs then instead of the Maya44USB card you can use the AG Gigaport, Echo Indigo, as well as a couple others.

http://www.virtualdj.com/support/VirtualDJ%203%20-%20Advanced%20ASIO%20configuration.pdf
{Copy the whole string in to the Address Bar}

Hope this gets you started... post back if you need more help.

cstoll

Posted Thu 09 Jun 05 @ 11:05 pm
just a notice:

even if it is possible to play just with the notebook soundcard (one deck will play mono in notebooks left channel, the other deck mono in the right channel if you have just soundcard with one stereo output) and you plug it to mixer...

anyway this options are disabled in the demoversion so don't get confused if you fail to set it up ;-)

Posted Fri 10 Jun 05 @ 11:54 am
i'm registered right now,
just a question, becouse i gotta decide if buy an external soundcard or not: how can i plug the line out of my notebook with the two line in of the mixer, i mean i need a tool or something to split it in two i guess. Thanks a lot to both man.

Posted Fri 10 Jun 05 @ 4:40 pm
Firstly, if you are a registered user, please take some time to update your profile.
Ok, about the connections, you will need a Y splitter cable to split the stereo signal into L/R mono signals to go to one of the channels in the mixer. You will need another Y splitter cable to do the same with the other output.
The connections are clearly shown in the manual for your mixer. Download it at Numark.com if dont have it yet dude.

Posted Fri 10 Jun 05 @ 4:51 pm
ok, thanks.
do you think i'm gonna lose some sound quality if i split the signal in two?

Posted Fri 10 Jun 05 @ 5:10 pm
As long as you use high quality cables, you will have no loss in sound clarity. make sure you use the right gain levels to remove distortion.

Posted Fri 10 Jun 05 @ 5:21 pm
i bought a Y splitter cable today, but it doesnt work so good, sound is not splitted, channel 1 and 2 are constantly mixed togheter even if i crossfade. probably the splitter is not so good but it's the only one i can find in my city. if you can tell me a good brand i'll buy a new one on the net, otherwise i'll just buy an extra sound card. thank you all, you've been very helpful to me.

Posted Fri 10 Jun 05 @ 11:12 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
j-blood -- if you are registered then you need to update your profile.

Also, what did you change your soundcard setup to in VDJ. It won't split the signal if you just add the splitter. You have to change the VDJ setting to 1 Sound Card - Splitter - Mixer . It's like the 5 item in the list of Sound configurations.

cstoll

Posted Fri 10 Jun 05 @ 11:22 pm
yeah i did it, tried also with headphones, but i saw on italian forum that it's kinda impossible to split the signal with just a splitter so probably i'm gonna buy an external sound card

Posted Fri 10 Jun 05 @ 11:39 pm
problem solved.
thanks buddies, gonna update now.

Posted Sat 11 Jun 05 @ 1:28 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)