Forum: Old versions

Topic: American Audio VMS4 Discussions - Page: 23

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
DJ Koz wrote :
Ok. I want EACH search button to control EACH deck. 4 decks 4 search buttons

Dj Koz,
at least try it before posting.

The above code is actually for 4 buttons, but you will only assign 2. LEFT SEEK>> and RIGHT SEEK>> have actually the same code.

Posted Fri 22 Oct 10 @ 5:53 pm
Noallegiance wrote :
OK . If there's a technical problem to be found, I always seem to find it. But this is an obvious one.

First, VDJ7 didn't run with my setup. For a reason only known to God, I can't select 2 soundcards and a mic input for broadcasting. Brill. But my little setup works fine for gigs.

After much ado I decided to get the VMS4 to solve my mic broadcasting issues as well as provide me with considerably less kit to have to cart around to gigs.

At the moment, I may as well have burned £400.

All Im doing is running a small active PA system and the output is shocking by comparison to my "bodge-it-and-scarper" setup that works wonderfully well.

Recorded voiceovers and jingles that sounded great before now have a very annoying crackle in the high end frequencies, and there is an intermittent but very audible crackle every so often across the whole sound during music.

Either I have missed the "Kit Setup for Dummies" manual (allegedly again) or this is going back first thing Monday.

Anyone else have sound quality issues (I've seen the various mic comments but don't have a problem there)?

I'm getting seriously fed up with this "wonderful plug and play equipment" that just isn't plug and play. If it was plug and play, I'd be happy and listening to good quality sound right now. But as usual I've spent most of the day disappointed. Again.

Call it low-end if you like at £400. But £400 should not provide considerably worse sound quality than a £20 Behringer USB soundcard and a Numark M1 mixer.

My anger overfloweth.

And headphones are fuzzing too

Posted Fri 22 Oct 10 @ 6:42 pm
smaneriPRO InfinityMember since 2008
djxlbass wrote :
smaneri wrote :
Hi Guys

Heres how you setup the VMS4 for 4 decks/four vms4 channnels (this is only for using all digitial files from your computer, no other inputs)

To start off have VDJ and the VMS4 off

1) On the VMS4 switch both CF Assigns to A and B to off. This will shut the crossfader ability off. This is want you want so you can control the volume of the 4 decks individually with the 4 Volume sliders

2) On the front of the VMS4 right above the CF Assigns A/B you have 4 usb/analog switches. Switch all of these to USB

3) Switch the VMS4 to 8-out instead of 4-out. This is located on the front as well in-between the CG Assign switches.

4) Turn on the VMS4

5) Open Up VDJ

6) Select a 4-deck Skin

7) Go to the Sound Set up, select Outputs - Advanced Config,

Heres what it should look like. If it doesnt you can add new lines with the plus sign

Deck 1 VMS4 Audio Midi Device Output 1 & 2
Deck 2 VMS4 Audio Midi Device Output 3 & 4
Deck 3 VMS4 Audio Midi Device Output 5 & 6
Deck 4 VMS4 Audio Midi Device Output 7 & 8

Now you can load all 4 decks and remember dont use the crossfader, you just need to use the volume from each line.

Happy Mixing

DJ Dusty

no crossfader use on my vms4??? no scratching? come on!

This setup is for 4 channel beat-mixing.

IMO If your gonna scratch Mix you might as well use 2 channels

Posted Fri 22 Oct 10 @ 6:52 pm
Despite the inclusion of a ground loop, could I be getting interference down the line from the PC?

Posted Sat 23 Oct 10 @ 9:16 am
Well thanks for your input so far everyone...............................

But I'm really not imagining this. The output is so very poor. Through speakers and headphones it sounds like my 320k MP3's are coming off scratched old vinyl.

Posted Sat 23 Oct 10 @ 3:27 pm
DJ KozPRO InfinityMember since 2007
djdad, THANK YOU! Works.

Can you tell me how to set up each deck to shift the loop? Not to extend or decrease the loop but just to shift it left or right exactly the way it works on the skin.

Posted Sat 23 Oct 10 @ 3:48 pm
You will need a rotary slider for this job. I quess your jog is assigned only as touchwheel ?

In that case you can use the jogs to shift the loop when loop is active, and behave like jogs when loop is not active.

Assign TOUCHWHEEL as ...

action_deck 1 ? deck 1 loop ? deck 1 loop_move : touchwheel : deck 2 loop ? deck 2 loop_move : touchwheel

Posted Sat 23 Oct 10 @ 5:13 pm
What about shift + sample select knob

Posted Sat 23 Oct 10 @ 10:33 pm
I'm still in 2 minds about getting an external soundcard 2 better the sound quality of the sound from my vms4 was lookin at the Maya 44, does this improve the sound that much?? N was thinking about getting an FireWire 1 can anyone reconned me a good one?

Cheers

Posted Sun 24 Oct 10 @ 3:15 pm
Dj Koz, it seems you need to rebuild the whole VMS4 mapper, to fit to your needs. Not sure if anyone else is interested in your personnal mapper assignment, so why dont you pm me for further details..

Posted Sun 24 Oct 10 @ 6:16 pm
Interesting. I don't see why I would be the only one making those requests but whatever. If you can pm me with a script I'd appreciate it.

Posted Mon 25 Oct 10 @ 8:37 am
I'm still stunned at the incredibly fast response to my ever worsening problems. Headphone output today is displaying shocking levels of crackle.

But don't worry yourselves. I'll guess the beats when I'm mixing. Should be fine.

Posted Mon 25 Oct 10 @ 12:29 pm
Noallegiance, I would exchange the unit if I were you. Despite some people reporting sound issues, my unit sounds great.

Posted Mon 25 Oct 10 @ 1:05 pm
Ok, about the mic distortion issue...

If we just used 1/4" out from the microphone receiver to 1/4" in to the VMS4, wouldn't it eliminate the need for the impedance tranformer and not have distortion anyway? Just curious.

Posted Tue 26 Oct 10 @ 11:38 am
cstoll wrote :
please read before just posting ... are you getting this ... yes yes yes ... saying again

There's no need to be like that. Considering you're representing Atomix, I think it's pretty poor that you respond to posts in that way.

Did you read before "just posting"? I was suggesting the use of the pause buttons instead. But no mention of that in your response. Instead you choose to be..... well, it's clear for all to see.

But anyway - I think using two buttons for major functions (loading tracks for example) is bad, so I'll be assigning 'deck swap' somewhere else.

Posted Thu 28 Oct 10 @ 12:12 pm
ive just brought an audio 2 dj to improve my sound on the vms4 as the audio dj 2 is an 24bit soundcard, and i thought i could just use that as my main out to my amp & use my vms4 just as normal but it didnt work it would just play 1 channel n thats it and at 1 level could control the levels!! help pls asap as if i cant get this 2 work i need 2 take it bk 2morrow.

cheers guys

Posted Thu 28 Oct 10 @ 1:16 pm
spider1111 wrote :
ive just brought an audio 2 dj to improve my sound on the vms4 as the audio dj 2 is an 24bit soundcard, and i thought i could just use that as my main out to my amp & use my vms4 just as normal but it didnt work it would just play 1 channel n thats it and at 1 level could control the levels!! help pls asap as if i cant get this 2 work i need 2 take it bk 2morrow.

cheers guys

its works with my hercules rmx settings below

input: none

output: headphone master / channel 1&2 headphones 3&4

soundcard: 4 outcard / audio 2 dj

Posted Thu 28 Oct 10 @ 3:17 pm
question im trying to map gain, trebel, mid and low knob on vms4 post eq configuration .. my problem is that i map channel 2 fine but when i try to map channel 3 it also controls channel 2 i tried it on 4out mode and 8out mode same problem is there a special way or setting to properly map out channel 2 and channel 3 on post eq mode using software eq only
thank you in advance for your help is appreciated

Posted Thu 28 Oct 10 @ 8:04 pm
djdad wrote :
DJ Koz wrote :
Djdad,
One button for each deck on 4 deck skin using the search buttons.

I don't use the search buttons. I use the wheel to scan through songs.

Ok..there you go ..

Assign to SEEK<<...

action_deck 1 ? skin_panel 'deck1a' on ? skin_panel 'deck1b' on : skin_panel 'deck1b' on ? skin_panel 'deck1c' on : skin_panel 'deck1a' on : skin_panel 'deck2a' on ? skin_panel 'deck2b' on : skin_panel 'deck2b' on ? skin_panel 'deck2c' on : skin_panel 'deck2a' on

Assign to SEEK >>...

action_deck 1 ? skin_panel 'deck3a' on ? skin_panel 'deck3b' on : skin_panel 'deck3b' on ? skin_panel 'deck3c' on : skin_panel 'deck3a' on : skin_panel 'deck4a' on ? skin_panel 'deck4b' on : skin_panel 'deck4b' on ? skin_panel 'deck4c' on : skin_panel 'deck4a' on

dumb question: I tried editing the vms4 mapping and pasting it in, and it will not let me. How do I use your code above??

Posted Sun 31 Oct 10 @ 9:52 pm
Go to CONFIG -> Mappers, choose the VMS4 in the list, then find the mapping that you wish to change. Paste the appropriate code into the action box.

NOTE: If you attempted to paste the above directly in the XML mapper file then it will not work - Characters such as " ' & have a special meaning in XML and must be protected (&quot;, &apos; and &amp; respectively.) The mapping editor in VirtualDJ will do this for you.

Posted Mon 01 Nov 10 @ 1:47 pm
66%