Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: TCV, music is garbled

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
my on-board card doesn't work well, the music moves even when the turntable is not on, even if it is on it is so garbled and stuttering. is there too much interference/background noise, i do not have it ground to the pc but i thought that wouldn't effect anything but the needle drop, do i need to update my drivers for the soundcard? or will this card just not work with asio4all? On the demo the output is grayed out what does that part do? thanks

* i believe my card is a creative SB 3-4 years old

Posted Tue 07 Jun 05 @ 9:12 pm
an onboard soundcard surely wouldn't give you the desired results your looking for. Nor would it be a soundblaster as they would be PCI (from the age you give in your post). Asio4All just emulates ASIO drivers for your cards, they do not make a 15$ soundcard work like a 150$ soundcard.

the noise you hear is either because the ground is not connected to the case or its due to the latency settings of the ASIO4all drivers. try increasing the latency and see if that helps the sound.

Regards

DJ White Devil

Posted Wed 08 Jun 05 @ 2:14 am
thanks whitedvl, i figured out my issue, i had to mute the mic input, i'm not sure why but it is smooth now, i have a signal of 100% but i noticed the red and green waves are not close together, i think they should right? it working but if i were to scratch i can hear soft digital funk with the movements, other then that its working at least. i have tried to adjust the line in and overall volume levels to try and sync these closer together but no luck. what setting in asio4all would tighten the sound?

Posted Wed 08 Jun 05 @ 4:46 pm
try raising the ASIO Buffer Size to around 512 or higher. This would be your latency. Another thing to try would be to connect the TT to your soundcard's line in. the mic in can often give you bad sound recording.

Posted Wed 08 Jun 05 @ 5:15 pm
the TT is plugged into the line in, i was saying for some reason the mic level slider turned down worked, and ASIO4all is at 512 buffer by default. i do have another soundcard(on-board), when i connect that one to the TT the waves line up perfect, so it has to be a setting or adjustment, but i don;t see where, hard to tell since i can only test one at a time. funny thing is that if i unselect pre-amp the waves line but i get no signal

Posted Wed 08 Jun 05 @ 5:27 pm
what i also noticed is that the BPM tens to float slightly, under normal sound default setting, the BPM is constant, when i use TCV it floats from say 120-120.5-119-120 etc. ans that is with 100% signal

Posted Wed 08 Jun 05 @ 5:31 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
listen2 -- I have noticed the same. But my problem was that it was registering the slight variations of the drag in the spin of the platter. Through the TT in the shop for some maintenance and now, everything is fine. The only reason I new it was the TT is because the other table maintained a more constant BPM rate.

cstoll

Posted Wed 08 Jun 05 @ 10:18 pm
strange since i can beatmatch regular vinyl and they stay locked on beat just fine. i play the same 12" on both TT and it stays. so if both TT float on pitch then they are very slight or do it exactly the same. i'm still trying adjust the TCV damn hard to get one set right, for such a simple connection :)

Posted Wed 08 Jun 05 @ 11:09 pm
Remember with VDJ you are getting to visually see the imperfections that we don't necessarily hear. I wouldn't dwell on it to much unless it is like +/- 2-3%.

cstoll

Posted Thu 09 Jun 05 @ 7:39 am
it seems to sync fine even though the bpm floats, i tried matching vdj with a real vinyl and they seemed fine. i think my biggest problem right now is the sound from the TCV when scratching. i have a signal of 100% using a creative soundcard. it does not sound same as if i were to take the mouse cursor and scratch with that. it should be the same correct? now i realize this might be a limitation of the ASIO4all or maybe my card since most of you have MAYA used. but some sounds scratch fine(mostly bass drum) and others are sound very weird(high pitch things), my signal never drops below 60% during these times and right back up to 100% i love the TCV but i'm not sure if i can live with just that. i can try and record an mp3 of what i'm talking about.

Posted Thu 09 Jun 05 @ 3:50 pm
You know, I am not much of a scratcher, so I have always deferred those issues and don't comment on the imperfections. From what i have read from other posts, I think you are at a similiar point as others and just need to keep raising the issue in the Bugs Forum, so the Dev Team works on it.

I wish I had more to share, but you've hit my knowledge limit on this one. I'll defer to the others.
Great discussion though!! Cheers.

cstoll

Posted Thu 09 Jun 05 @ 9:23 pm
@cstoll
i 'm just glad to try the TCV but with the demo i am stuck trying one card then the other with the same results for both. i will record an mp3 of what i'm talking about, maybe its just me but i 'll let you hear it anyways. i'm just afraid that if that is the case then i can't say i'll be jumping onboard just yet, using VDJ alone without tight TCV sound is not for me. Would buying a maya solve this?. there was another post saying that the point your scratching slightly floats off point so you can't get it perfect, i have tried this and i thought it was true, some say it is for TCCD, but i have to say it stayed pretty tight, the theory is if the needle skips this might happen, think a weak signal might also.

Posted Thu 09 Jun 05 @ 10:26 pm
Yeah, I don't know if some of the imperfections you are experiencing is a result of the demo or not. And being the demo, I don't know if using the Maya with the Demo will produce different results. I do use the Maya, and I will say that some of the comments I read about the TimeCode noise bleed through of the needle, I have never experienced. Though not being a heavy scratch DJ this might just be because my ears are not tuned to what you are experiencing. I will listen to your recording though and give you my opinion.

As for the drift, I have my own opinion of why it occurs with the TCVs and I think alot of it is the Silence level in the Configuration. Remember the software reacts to what comes through the needle, so even vibrations of the need can cause the software to think there is a signal that needs to be reacted to. So alot of the drifting IMO is Needle Type/Quality, Tone Arm Weight and Silence settings in VDJ. Cheap needle, light Tone Arm and Silence slider set all the way to the left (no silence zone), leaves VDJ wide open to reacting to the slightest vibration of the needle. As for the TCCD being tighter, sure no vibration issues to worry about. Unless you are dropping so much BASS that the CD and Laser Mechanism is vibrating.

Hope this discussion helps,
cstoll

Posted Thu 09 Jun 05 @ 10:57 pm
well its clear to me one card is better then the other, so i can get another creative one cheap off my bud to match the on-board's that works nice quality. so i guess the only real problem is i was playing songs just on the one deck and after a while the sound started to get crap like after15-20, i thought this was covered in the forums but i couldn't find it, if i minimize VDJ the sounds can return to normal.....what is the cause of this???? it has toi be a setting or maybe memory, i tried VDJ without TCV and played fine for an hour straight , so its the TCV's doing it

Posted Fri 10 Jun 05 @ 3:51 am
Some will tell you that it is TimeStretch, or the Limiter being Enabled.
Also on the forum you will find a conversation about setting the level to -3.0 db and Setting the Auto Gain to 'Always Match'. All of these settings and choice should help refine the Quality issue. Again, it is one of those things that you have to play with the settings and find what works best with your setup (Mixer, speaker, etc.)

cstoll

At the club - my settings are:
TimeStretch - Enabled, Limiter - Disabled, Auto Gain - Always 0db

My mobile rig - my settings are:
TimeStretch - Enabled, Limiter - Enabled, Auto Gain - Always 0db

Posted Fri 10 Jun 05 @ 5:56 am
i'll try dropping the level to -3.0 i thought the limiter was disabled (i'll check) my gain was alwaysmatch at 0, i have to say aside from all this it does work just not as "real" as i'd like just yet. i think the major problem is that there is no easy way to set these up. the connections are easy, just the software is mindbreaking as far as soundcard settings, if you don't have all the right sliders on (even when muting my line in to rid of TC sound, the slider has to be up( i don;t get that). why do have 2 different VDJ setting for mobile and club? where is everyone else? their used to be much chatter on here. some of the more popular posters seem to have vanished. i thank you for trying to help me, i'll post that demo i was talking of doing this weekend.

Posted Fri 10 Jun 05 @ 4:07 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)