Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: How do i build a rackmount?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hey folks...:o) Hope you're all well in the VDJ world.

Ok, so i'm using a tower case and a monitor for my gigs. I've got a keyboard and a mouse and my mixer and while it's great and it does the job wonderfully, it's all very messy and can be quite the burden having to carry all my stuff around as separates. Not to mention the damage i'm doing to my board plugging and unplugging everything all the time. So, I want to get it all sorted and into a flight case to keep it all together with a nice wee keyboard and cordless optical mouse that would just sit at the side and look good.

So i'm looking at my existing set up and thinking to myself that i could be doing it from a nice central point where everything is easily controllable and i'm surfing the VDJ site, and i see Cyderhouse's blog. And what a blog it is!!! Something gets me every single time i see it. I just think it looks great with the wee zippy k/board sticking out there and that retractable tft he's got going on there is glorious...:o) Nice one Cyderhouse...respect mate. BUT I WANT ONE!!!

So, how do i build a rackmount pc? Can i just take my existing homebuilt hardware and stick it in one of those rackmount cases? What's the deal? Do i need special gear? Help me please!!!

Sure, i can invest in a nice tft monitor, that's not a problem but what about everything else?

What do i need to do guys?!?!?!

Cheers

Pionara

*You can roughly see what i mean in my blog to my current setup.

Posted Tue 07 Jun 05 @ 12:23 am
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
Cheers Pionara

I spent many hours building that to my exact specs. Everything had to be custom made including the rack case itself. Thanks for the props :) The problem is they are not cheap it was more of a labor of love lol. So with that in mind check out this site http://www.djrak.com/ there are tons of pictures and cases to get you started. Also your current desktop parts will easily slide over to the rack mount side the only thing you might have to change is the power supply.

Posted Tue 07 Jun 05 @ 2:02 am
PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Thanks Cyder (hehe...love that blog man!!!)

I think my current power supply is a 350w...most of the rack cases i've been looking at have been 350w ones...i take it that will do the trick or would you recommend summink better?

Also, that wee touchpad you use - is that as opposed to a mouse? are they better things to have than a mouse? what kind would you recommed?

that 'fold away' monitor is a wonderful concept. can i find a stand like that on djrak.com?

and last but not least, what's the deal with 1u, 2u and 3u rack cases? what does that mean?

Cheers again
P

Posted Tue 07 Jun 05 @ 9:52 pm
1u, 2u, 3u all mean the number of units and size of the cases... a 3u case holds 3 units or is bigger in size to a 1u which holds only 1 unit..thats my research...even im working on building a rackmount..
but i dont live in the usa..nor the uk..so im gonna build my own out of scratch using high grade fibre wood and felt to cover it...got a lot of things to do..but im ensured of a custom fit that way!
Cheers Pionara!
DJ Aditya

Posted Wed 08 Jun 05 @ 6:55 am
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
1U is 1.75 inches or one rackspace.

3U would be easier to work with because you do need any special riser or adapters for your pci slots.

I like the touchpad as its just another thing to "hide" the computer away it also takes up less space.

The monitor mount was a custom job. I used an omni mount cl. and attached it to a sliding track.

Posted Wed 08 Jun 05 @ 7:46 am
@ DJ aditya

where do u live.. i also want to build a rackmount.. i am in pune, maybe we can collaborate if you live somewhere in this region..

@cyderhouse

hehehehe..guess i will be going in for the rackmount afterall :)

cheers

DJ Rudra

Posted Sun 12 Jun 05 @ 9:31 pm
Dude... i live in the small town of Mangalore(south)... The club scene is just on the rise here.. and thats the best time for me, DJ's wanted for new clubs..anyways...i really wanna build that r/m....
I'll keep you posted...
Cheers
Adi

Posted Mon 13 Jun 05 @ 1:24 pm
Guys, Im building a pc ("powerhouse" is what i want it to be!), here are the configs/spex im planning on:

----------------------
AMD 64 3200
1 GB RAM (more later)
SB Audigy2 ZS soundcard
nVidia 6600gt video card
120gb HDD (more later)
-------------------
Numark DXM01usb Mixer
Sony DJ headphones..etc
---------------------
ok guys, will this baby be sufficient to handle video on VDJ?
your thoughts most valuable...
Also, i wanna build this in a chassis i saw on the net, its one-o-those transparent cases, in which i can install black lights, glow tubes etc., so that even though i cant build a r/mount, atleast my tower chassis will look like an alien spacecraft, or a tuner car from 2Fast2Furious! HEHE..i know it sounds silly, but i saw this on tv and it looks cool...
MIX ON!!

Posted Mon 13 Jun 05 @ 1:37 pm
I forgot.. i wanna get a TFT Monitor...maybe a samsung..
i just sat down with the local pc parts dealer and im so happy it fits my Budget!!
Anyways...tell me what you think of the pc configs..
thanks...

@DJ Rudra: Hey DJ, can u post some of your mixes? i wanna listen... I have remixed a few desi songs...
My fav is the Bulla Ki Jana (Rabbi Shergil) Jungle remix, by Myself! :)

Posted Mon 13 Jun 05 @ 3:06 pm
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
@djaditiya

Copyright for "MIX ON!" :P

anyway.. this is gonna be good computer ;) I'm going to build something like this too.

Dj Nikki

Posted Mon 13 Jun 05 @ 3:27 pm
I wanted to hide computer too and found a little 4,5'' LCD tvs for some 160$ with video in feature.
If you have a card with tvout and don't use video features, you can use this small display.

I'm considering bulding my own portable setup with 3 cdroms to be able play "legally" from audio-cd when the boys come... Must test, and make some cool small skin ;-)
The rack will look like a super-dooper virtualdj powered dual deck. And nobody will complain "oooh hes playing pc"

Posted Mon 13 Jun 05 @ 3:50 pm
@dj aditya

i have recoreded some of my mixes, but they are full length cd mixes i made for friends or at friend's parties

i am not too much into the remixing scene, more of live mixing..

that is gonna be some pc you are building.. i just setup the deal to upgrade my ram..

how much are you gonna get the samsung tft for..

i was hunting around and i found out that pureview tech will swap your 15" crt for a tft at Rs.9999..

@everyone else

please excuse me, but this is the first guy i know of who uses VDJ in india besides me, or atleast the legal version, and who is on the forum.. i am so happy sniff sniff

@lopez

how bad is the scene when the boys come??

thankfully here in india it is not so much of a problem to be playing rcds that you burned at a friends..

and if they see a pc, they would not even know what to do about it .. INDIA Rocks

cheers

DJ Rudra

Posted Mon 13 Jun 05 @ 5:23 pm
INDIA rocks cos downloading music, copying cds,dvds, is well, "Legal"
hahaha! the boys dont know much about it...they will sieze your stuff and after a bit of "tipping" they will gladly return your collection in a plastic bag...lol
anyways "nazar na lage"(means "touch wood its that way'")hehe..

@xeon: Yes xeon..its all yours.. i just like to use it..!

@DJ Rudra: Hey dude, thats a great deal for 9999/- gotta do some researh about that too...
Gettin a rackmount in our country is a bit difficult i suppose, unless we have some place that sells cases for server pcs...anyways, i saw this thing on tv when i was in USA, it was about converting your boring cpu case into a transparent fiber-glass case, with neons, bpm-aware LEDs..etc..it looks great and it gets the awes...especially the gals love it... i had a pic on my pc and i showed it to some friends..i told them thats how i want to make my pc..they all went "WOAH! COOOOL"
hehe...i really wanna do something about the case..desperately in need of a pro-look...:)

thanks everyone!
Cheers to the best forum on the net!
MIX ON! (copywrite- XEON) ;)

Posted Mon 13 Jun 05 @ 5:49 pm
Hey, i just was curious... suppose i use an external mixer, and i play videos on the 2 decks in VDJ... whats gonna happen? I mean, will it play both videos on the screen or what? can i use the mixer to fade the videos somehow?
any comments are welcome.
ps: whats the best format for videos? how best can i rip my dvds?
thanks

Posted Mon 13 Jun 05 @ 5:51 pm
@rudra
one guy get busted bucause playing from the taiwaneese "original" cds. They said DJ has to know whats pirate and whats original. Here are tolerated some burned cds you cannot purchase (unofficially tolerated) but as I heard, the pack your cds, pc to analyse it.
And the other thing you cannot play original cds publically (it's written on them) you have to register at some office (for free) and they give you permission (you pay some little for a gig).
Many dj's here thought that they have originals it's ok, guys came ask them for 10 000 SKK (330 $)
and took all their cds. Our DMC club was begging for returning the cd's, fortunately they returned it, even if they don't have to.

But many people here (slovakia) are playing illegally (mp3 forbidden :-( so me too). Even if I have many originals.

Posted Mon 13 Jun 05 @ 6:03 pm
@Lopez:

Regarding teh 4.5" T.V. Are you talking about the Marlin or the Numark? I think it's called Marlin... anyway, I wouldn't suggest THESE as a sole monitor. You won't be able to read any of the text. The Numark is an RCA, so right there you'd be in a bad sorts. The Marlin (having never worked with it) does boast a VGA input on the unit, so there may be MORE clairity there... or, were you talking about a different one, if so could you link it?

Posted Tue 14 Jun 05 @ 11:21 pm
has no concrete idea

our local electro shop has some

http://www.nay.sk/goods.do?sid=67&cid=342&scid=582

anyway I have s-video out on my notebook so I will test if it is of some use before buying.

I know that they are perhaps 320x240 screens so I have to make a special skin that look good when
displayed in such a small resolution.

prices are in SKK 1US$ = 30SKK 1EUR = 40 SKK

I've looked at numark but I dont need 3 displays....

Posted Wed 15 Jun 05 @ 12:16 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)