Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Crackles, Pops, Freezes, 'Auto-Loops'

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
No, I am not describing a new breakfast cereal for DJ's ;)
I am reporting a bug, but also a workaround that has seemed to work well for me so far.

I had noticed alot of extra noise and occasional freezing when loading up a video on the channel that is not playing. Sometimes, the interface would freeze too while loading the video. Other times, the audio on the active channel woudl go silent for a second and then come back, still on beat. Once in a while, the active channel would go into an 'auto-loop' of a few seconds. All these are symptoms of whatever occurs when the video file is being loaded into the inactive player. I am using a Hercules DJ Console.

It appears that most, or at least some of these can be alleviated by making sure the sound device (Hercules in my case) is not on the same bus (USB) as the hard drive where the videos are stored. I had been attaching my external drive to the USB for convenince sake and also because I had lost the firewire cable with the 4 pin end that attaches to my lappy. I borrowed a cable from someone to test my theory, and voila! No problems so far! I only tested this way for the last hour of my final gig of the weekend, so I can't be 100% sure all is well, but I am confident that this config will, at the very least, be better than the old config.

I will use this setup on my gigs this Thursday, Friday, and Sunday and will report back.

Posted Mon 06 Jun 05 @ 4:11 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)