Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: Skin From Scratch...................

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Ok fellas, I want ya'll to throw any and all info for creating a skin from scratch!! From creating a bitmap to where do you get you images from, etc., etc., etc. I have a ton of Ideas I would like to get out but am kinda lost as to where and how to start. Spare no details please.

Thanks for your time and all of your tips and help thus far!!
Huey

Posted Mon 12 Jul 10 @ 12:33 am
Huey,

Start of by drawing your ideas on paper. That way you have a clear idea to aim for. You can always tinker with it when you start.

You need to try and create the images yourself. Remember to try and create the skin in a large resolution if you can. It's easy to decrease the size of the bitmap after but not so easy to enlarge and keep quality.

Use the right program- there are loads out there. My first skin I used Microsoft Publisher, now I use a combination of Photoshop and Corel Draw. But there are loads out there, just pick 1 your happy with.

Hope that helps you start off. You know where I am if you need any other help!!

Posted Mon 12 Jul 10 @ 2:35 am
djjbPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hi beatbreaker1

Good luck with your ideas and creation.
I have one suggestion. Start in the xml-file with the settings-button and min-max-close buttons(or create them with the mapper to use the keyboard)

Best regards,
John

Posted Fri 16 Jul 10 @ 1:56 am
DHoudePRO InfinityMember since 2009
If you don't have a "photoshop" program, I hear that Gimp GNU is a good free image editing program. http://www.gimp.org/

Posted Fri 16 Jul 10 @ 5:59 pm
DHoude wrote :
If you don't have a "photoshop" program, I hear that Gimp GNU is a good free image editing program. http://www.gimp.org/

Hahaa, that was gonna be my next question cause I dont have 300 bucks for that photo shop!! Unless I'm looking at the wrong thing......I'm gonna check out Gimp right now.

Again guys thanks for all the input
Huey

Posted Fri 16 Jul 10 @ 6:10 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
I create all my skins using vector graphics in Inkscape, then render them as PNG. This allows for easy resizing, moving and obtaining co-ordinates :)

Posted Sun 18 Jul 10 @ 5:32 am
I always start in photoshop with a basic layout (browser, few button, logo, etc)
then i go to the xml and start coding what i have started.
After that i keep drawing the rest of the buttons with their respective selected, down, etc graphics

Posted Sun 18 Jul 10 @ 4:29 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
I use CorelDraw for graphics. I usually start a skin creating the very first button. This gives me the direction to make the rest of the skin. Sometimes i get inspired of something, sometimes not.
Good luck Junior Skinner !

Posted Sun 18 Jul 10 @ 4:49 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
I would love to see some of your skins Scott. (hint hint) ;^)

Posted Sun 18 Jul 10 @ 6:38 pm
That did'nt sound right,(hint,hint)..he,he..

Posted Sun 18 Jul 10 @ 8:36 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
They are just clean simple skins, normally with large browser areas. No fancy graphics or shading at all; often very little in the way of controls either!

I also tend to have them inverted (waveform + info bottom, browser top) as that is where my eyes naturally look.

Posted Mon 19 Jul 10 @ 9:18 am
SBDJ wrote :
They are just clean simple skins, normally with large browser areas. No fancy graphics or shading at all; often very little in the way of controls either!

I also tend to have them inverted (waveform + info bottom, browser top) as that is where my eyes naturally look.

Inverted you say..............hmmm, oh yeah!! Could you send me 1 of these inverted skins so I could study it?? If you need my email address let me know please.

As always Thanks for everyone's input, keep em coming!
Huey

Posted Mon 19 Jul 10 @ 10:12 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)