Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: preamps needed?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi,

I asked myself if I need preamps when I use Virtual DJ combined with normal vinyl? And how do I switch between nomal vinyl and timecoded vinyl by the way? And at last, when I use normal vinyl, should my laptop also be active? (in case I don't switch cables)

Thanks,

Wouter

Posted Fri 03 Jun 05 @ 1:59 pm
ZezkeHome userMember since 2005
As long as i know you don't need any

Posted Fri 03 Jun 05 @ 6:14 pm
No you just connect your turntables to your soundcard. In the settings you probably have to check the "Software Riaa" checkbox in the Timecode config
Ewout

Posted Fri 03 Jun 05 @ 8:05 pm
It woudl be cool if VDJ would support ASIOdirect to switch the IO into bypass mode. At least on the RMS HDSP RPM this would simply wire the input to the output..

Posted Sat 04 Jun 05 @ 12:33 am
zachaPRO InfinityMember since 2004
the bypass mode is simply crap. if you connect the tts to the soundcard and bypass the sound it will dump nearly all highs. then, when you scratch on the vinyls it will clip the sound. even if you use a preamp you will experience the clipping problem. this can only be handled by setting the gain and input levels nearly to minimum which will result in an output level (set at maximum) that is too low to set the gain on you mixer to 0dB. the only solution i have found till now is using 2 preamps and 4 rca splitters at the line output of the preamps to make you able to connect the tt2 to the mixer directly on the one hand and to the software on the other hand. this consumes 4!!!! line inputs and that is the problem I am dealing with at the moment cause I want to connect 2 cdjs, 2 tts and the laptop to my DJM-500 which seems to be not possible without swapping the cables when putting real vinyls on top. an rca splitter with a switch could be a solution.

Posted Tue 07 Jun 05 @ 5:58 pm
Zacha,
- Attach your turntables to a Y rca split cable
- Attach 1 side of the Y split cable to your phono input on channel 1
- Attach the other output to your soundcard
- Do the same for your other turntable (channel 2)
- Attach both stereo outputs of your laptop also to channel 1 and 2 of your djm (line input)
- Attach the cd players to the line inputs of channel 3 and 4

The only thing you have to do is switch between your laptop and the turntables using the switches on your djm
Ewout

Posted Tue 07 Jun 05 @ 8:31 pm
you dind't read my message correctly.

1. when i use an rca splitter to split the phono signal the sound will miss the highs.
2. the djm 500 does not have a line input on channel 4.

Posted Wed 08 Jun 05 @ 9:53 am
btw the djm 500 does not have a phono input on ch-1 either.

ch1: cd1/line1
ch2: cd2/phono1
ch3: line2/phono2
ch4: sub mic/phono3

Posted Wed 08 Jun 05 @ 10:43 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
I miss something?... CD1, CD2, LINE1, LINE2... there 4 line inputs. Since you will use your TT with OR without VDJ, you have 3 phono inputs and 2 CDs and 2 Lines. Ok, sorry I get it, you can't use VDJ and CD's simultaneously. But You can do it if you want.

Put CD's in CD1 and CD2. Put VDJ in Line1 and Line 2. Put the TT in Phono1 and Phono3.

You have to switch from VDJ to CD's by CD2 (or phono 3 if you may use a Vynil). And You can switch from Cd's(or Vynils) to VDJ from plate 2.

What you think?

Posted Wed 08 Jun 05 @ 7:15 pm
Sorry,
I used the djm 500 just a couple of times. I thought that channel 1, 2 and 3 have a turntable input. But according to your comment those are on channel 2,3 and 4. Solution: In my previous post swap channel 1 with 3 and 2 with 4. Do you get it?
Losing heights with a cinch split cable? Never heard of that. Do you have just a y cable or a box with 1 stereo input and 2 stereo outputs? When you split the channel with a Y cable only the impedance will be half the value, than without the Y cable. I use split cables for years even with microphone cables and never had any problem.
Ewout

Posted Wed 08 Jun 05 @ 7:49 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)