Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: Graphical bug with nested pannels

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

SupaconPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I\'m almost done a thorough rework of my CONDENSED skin that is adding a number of new features. One of the new features uses a pannel that switches between a normal rhythm, and a rhythm with a jog and scratchwave on each side. Within this pannel, there is also another pannel that allows switching between a split and a single overlaid waveform rhythm graph.

The problem I\'m having is a bit weird, and I was wondering if anyone else has run into this. When you switch the \"super\" pannel, (scratch mode, in my case) which contains the sub panel, once ever 10 or 20 times I\'ll get some of the graphics from the old pannel left ofer in the skin somewhere. It seems to be in the area where the mask for the jog visual is...

Just curious if anyone has any ideas what could be causing this. If it is related to the jog mask, I could probaby make the mask completely black and that should solve the problem, I guess...

Above, you can see that the part under the jog on the left has some graphics from the other pannel "stuck" there - that should just look black.

Posted Sat 12 Jun 10 @ 12:45 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Very weird ... never happened to me before. And its rather unusual ..i mean after 10-20 times. I havent seen bugs like this ever before. Send me your beta if you want to take a look. (1440X900 if possible)

Posted Sat 12 Jun 10 @ 1:32 pm
Thanks DJDad, I've emailed it to you, and look forward to your feedback.

Maybe I just did something dumb... but I'll warn you, the pannel structure in this skin is a wee bit complicated!

Posted Sat 12 Jun 10 @ 2:29 pm
Have you set your 'up' image correctly. Because the platter is in a panel you will need to have this or it will show the image beneath.

Just a thought.

I'll take a look to if it will help.

Posted Sat 12 Jun 10 @ 2:29 pm
Well, the way this works is that is has a big pannel (with the scratch mode contents) and which then a smaller pannel that contains the rhythm pannel, and the "separate" button to toggle the rhythm pannel itself.

The scratchmode pannel has an up image, which seems to be most relevant, because that is where the problem is. But it seems like once in a while it doesn't draw or something. It literally only happens around one in 20 times or probably less.

The jogs themselves also have up images, btw, and you can see that the "junk pixels" show right around the area where the mask is.

Posted Sat 12 Jun 10 @ 2:39 pm
When you say once in 10-20 times - what are you doing?

I can't recreate the problem!!??

EDIT - just recreated it

Posted Sat 12 Jun 10 @ 3:01 pm
This is a toughy.

It's the Rhythm wave from a pannel below showing through. Just trying to work out which pannel - lol

Posted Sat 12 Jun 10 @ 3:27 pm
Something else I noticed before...

When in scratch mode, you can click the "Separate" button on the right side of the rhythm area of the skin. If you click it back and forth rapidly, you can see the blue scratchwave flicker a bit on its left half. I looked through my code and couldn't find anything weird overlapping that area, so I'm not sure what the reason for that flicker is. I wonder if it might be related to my problem with the residual junk that sometimes gets into the jog areas...

Posted Sat 12 Jun 10 @ 3:34 pm
Think i found it. I think its more the 'up' that fixed it but it still functions with up and down in there. I also added the mousemask too - although this has no affect on the problem.

LINE 38
--Scratch Controls
<scratch pannel="scratch_mode" deck="1">
<size width="90" height="90"/>
<pos x="21" y="42"/>
<center x="66" y="87"/>
<mousemask x="570" y="1111"/>
<down x="23" y="3195"/>
<up x="23" y="3195"/>

</scratch>
<scratch pannel="scratch_mode" deck="2">
<size width="84" height="84"/>
<pos x="1336" y="42"/>
<center x="1378" y="84"/>
<mousemask x="570" y="1111"/>
<down x="1332" y="3195"/>
<up x="1332" y="3195"/>

</scratch>

Posted Sat 12 Jun 10 @ 3:40 pm
Well, I tried making this adjustment to the scratch controls themselves, but it doesn't have an effect on me. You must have just had a long run of luck where it didn't happen :)

I might have misunderstood, because I didn't think that zone was even visible at all! I just thought that only the visual part (spinner) was.

Thanks for your help -- and thanks for showing me the mousemask -- I wasn't even aware of that element before, but now that lets me put buttons in the skin that I wouldn't have been able to before.

Posted Sat 12 Jun 10 @ 4:07 pm
I just found that I had the wrong "up" graphic in "noscratch mode". It didn't need an up graphic at all, but it was using the one from "scratch mode". Removing that didn't help, though... I'm just checking the boundaries of every element to ensure there isn't something weird overlapping. So far everything seems fine all around :S

Posted Sat 12 Jun 10 @ 4:30 pm
When you toggle between seperate and over lap rhythm pannels with scatch pannel visible you will notice that the scratch area disapeers for a while on the right side on deck 1. This happens because you have written..

<pannel visible="no" id="wave_separate_scratch" pannel="scratch_mode" group="group_wave_scratch">
<size width="1039" height="95"/>
<pos x="190" y="38"/>
</pannel>

instead of ...

<pannel visible="no" id="wave_separate_scratch" pannel="scratch_mode" group="group_wave_scratch">
<pos x="201" y="38"/>
</pannel>

Now .. something else...
when you define pannels its good to declare down graphics so this way you certain that no graphics from the previous pannel will remain.

so.. for the pannel above ..this should be..
<pos x="201" y="38"/>
<down x="numberx" y="numbery"/>
</pannel>

..where numberx, numbery orings the area of the graphics to be shown when the pannel is visible...might be even black, and then add anything you want.

I will check further and let you know.

Good update btw

Posted Sat 12 Jun 10 @ 4:39 pm
and because you have wrong number for the x pos you have wrong rhythm pannel view for deck 1.
Load a song on deck 1, and pause it to a cue. On Seperated Rhythm toggle between scratch on and off, and you will understand.

Also i suggest you change the Stop_button, which appears to me as Pause, these II lines usually declare a pause button and not a stop which is usually a square.

Posted Sat 12 Jun 10 @ 4:50 pm
i send you email with my suggestions. No other bugs found. Good job.

Posted Sat 12 Jun 10 @ 5:09 pm
Hey, thanks for catching those issues. I've corrected them in the master version.

Unfortunately after trying everything that both of you guys have suggested, I still have this issue.. I'll keep digging, I guess!

Posted Sat 12 Jun 10 @ 5:18 pm
Well, all this fiddling (while finding and correcting some problems) hasn't actually solved my issue.

What I'm considering now is to actually completely rework the pannels so that instead of having 2 pannels nested inside each of another 2 pannels, I will make 4 pannels and then make the buttons switch in a matter that is functionally identical.

This is a bit more complicated to lay out in the XML, but it won't nest pannels. I am suspecting that VirtualDJ has a bug or such when nesting pannels where it can't draw the graphics properly from time to time, so I'll have to work around it for now.

The crappy part is that it will be a decent amount of work, and I don't even know if it will be successful or not! Hopefully all will be happy in the end!

Posted Sat 12 Jun 10 @ 5:53 pm
Grr... I've redesigned my pannels into what is, in my opinion, a more complicated configuration internally, but it doesn't use any nested pannels now.

Unfortunately I have the same problem as before. How frustrating!

Posted Sun 13 Jun 10 @ 10:47 am
I suppose it could be a VDJ issue were it can't load the image quickly enough and therefore renders both images.

I can't see it being a code issue anymore otherwise it would happen all the time.

Posted Sun 13 Jun 10 @ 12:17 pm
Yeah... I'm thinking that's it. Just a rare glitch due to the way the VDJ renders things. My guess is that it refreshes something out of order once in a while. This also seems to happen more in the 5120 pixel wide version of my skin (the master from which I make smaller versions) than in the downsized versions as well. In the biggest version, it happens every five times you switch the pannels, but in the 1024 px version, you have to do it 30 or 40 times before it happens.

Posted Sun 13 Jun 10 @ 12:22 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)