Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Program runs choppy ... help...

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I am using a laptop. Toshiba 2.6Ghz and 1 GIG of mem. I am having a choppy program when I run my karaoke files now, never ever happened before. Started when I loaded 2.10 and now 3.0. Maybe I have to update my video drivers or increase my video memory. I never had to do that. Can you give me advice. I have a karaoke gig on Friday and have been trying everything. I even reinstalled (full everything) and went back to 2.06 full install. Everything I had before and the problem still is there. The video seems to play fine but the program is lagging. Seems very unstable. The algorythyms are choppy. Songs load slow. Only when I am using a karaoke file does this happen. The music by itself plays great with no issues. I am using a usb 2.0 external hardrive. Any ideas. I am just trying to get working what once worked. Thanks for the help.

Posted Tue 31 May 05 @ 1:48 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
Make sure you aren't previewing the active deck or video output (leave it on A+B on the monitor) Try to run hardware mode in the video tab. Or set reactivity to medium in the general settings

Posted Tue 31 May 05 @ 2:29 pm
Umm, what exactly do you mean by: "Seems very unstable. The algorythyms are choppy" ? I can understand the song loading slow. If I think I understand what you mean, it sounds like your CPU is pegged at 100% while doing this activity. This would give you a sort of "choppy" movement of all the graphics including the wave display and song loading would be very slow.

Evaluate your situation by keeping the Windows Task Manager open and see what the CPU usage is. If it is 100% as I guess and vDJ is consuming most of it, you have to get hardware acceleration working as Cyder suggests.

1st off, vDJ 3.x takes advantage of key features of DirectX 9c. So you must have DX9c installed from Microsoft.

Next is that you must have a video driver for your video adapter that supports DirectX 9c features, in order to be able to turn on Hardware Acceleration. (otherwise you experience the black screen of no video).

With these in place and your 1GB of RAM, you should see CPU usage around maybe 60% while mixing video (spike up to 99% when loading video file). I imagine Karoke files would be similar. Also ensure that you are not running out of drive space on the drive hosting your Windows swap file. Even tho you may have 1GB of RAM, Windows still manipulates the swap file and can choke if it doesn't have enough elbow room.

Posted Tue 31 May 05 @ 4:36 pm
Yes. You are right. I could not get hardware acceleration working. I will attempt your suggestions tonight and go back to 3.0. Thank you for your help. I'll let you know later how it turns out.

Posted Tue 31 May 05 @ 7:04 pm
How do I change the swap file. I still can't get anywhere. Same issues.

Posted Wed 01 Jun 05 @ 2:32 am
I'm lost. I noticed that there is no cdg extentions in the decoders. Would this matter?

Posted Wed 01 Jun 05 @ 3:11 am
After hours of fussing with this thing I may have isolated something. I had to use PCDJ hoster to find the issue and am in need of advice. When I extend my desktop for a second screen, the moment I put something on the second screen or activate my video card I get hesitation and issues. Also with 3.0 and 2.06. OK. Now I checked my device manager. I see only one display adapter. Trident Cyber Allidin P4 v 6.416.22ICD_SE_NP. I do not see a secondary monitor driver. Should there be one? I remember there was one at one time. Maybe this is casing a conflict? How would I get this installed. I have my hardware finder look and nothing to install. Any ideas. I went through my troubleshooter and found this. Anyone else have this disappear? At least I have the issue isolated. (I think)

Posted Wed 01 Jun 05 @ 4:56 am
maybe you have to boot with both display's connected. It was working before and now its not? Try setting your video to "window" and see what happens. Make sure you have directx 9c and the most up to date drivers for both your chipset and video card.

Posted Wed 01 Jun 05 @ 5:48 am
Thanks Cyder.... OK.. When set to window, it is fine until I slide it over to my extended screen. Mvideo cards is up to date. Just downloaded a new driver. Made no difference. I reinstalled 9c also. How do you update your chipset? Is that the system bios?

Posted Wed 01 Jun 05 @ 6:03 am
are you using the "hardware mode"

chipset drivers sometimes fix issues. You can find them usually on the mfg's site. The bios maybe, although I would do that only as a last resort. I find it very strange that it worked before and not now. Perhaps a re install of windows is a good idea at this point.

Posted Wed 01 Jun 05 @ 6:17 am
I ended up switching laptops. Went to a lesser 1.6 gig 512 mem celeron and its works fine. The other had an assue as soon as I installed 2.10. No saying it was vdj. It was just weird. Had 2.06 running fine for months. I then tried a full reinstall and poof all sorts of issues. ?? I am confused. Maybe I can act on my warrranty. I called Toshiba tech support and they said it may be a bad video card. If I do a complete reinstall everything should be back to normal. Well, this on will get me through for now... Thank you so much.

Posted Wed 01 Jun 05 @ 6:31 am
Try installing all the updates from the beginning.I have all of them and that might be the problem.I just did a freash install and I am having some of the same issues that I haven't had before installing 3.0. The only thing that has changed is I installed 2.0 then I installed the latest update which is 2.06 skiping all the other update that I had installed before. Something that we installed along the way might be our fix and just carried on as the updates were just adding to and fixing certain aspects of the program.

Posted Wed 01 Jun 05 @ 1:39 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)