Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: Is something missing from the WIKI documentation? Visual definition

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Can someone clarify if something is missing from the WIKI documentation for the Visuals definition?

According to the documentation, the possible values for the Source element are:
source : possible values:

* "beat" : The beat intensity
* "rotation" : The angle of the disc (depends on the position and the RPM speed)
* "arm" : The position of the turntable's arm (moves on PLAY and PAUSE)
* "volume" : The volume (depends on the crossfader and the level values)
* "position" : The position in the song

However, I see values like "deck 1 get level_left" being used.

In vDJ ver 5 and earlier, when the source is set to "beat" the VU meter would show the intensity and constantly "hold" if the deck is paused. In other words, if you scrub (move) the track while it is paused, you clearly see the VU intensity with each move. This really helps with setting perfect CUE points. (Its amazing what a fraction of a beat can do for your Cue Point). Anyhow, otherwise, the VU intensity just shows the value for the moment and drops back to 0.

I want to know how to get the functionality back in vDJ version 6 where the VU shows the intensity and holds what it is showing when the deck is paused, because I don't see anything at all (no VU lights) when I set the source to "beat" now.

Thanks for any help!!!

Posted Sat 05 Jun 10 @ 9:35 am
JeremKPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
If you want the vu meter to not go back down to 0 when the song is paused, you need to use:

deck 1 get vu_meter_left
deck 1 get vu_meter_right

and the same for deck 2.

Posted Sat 05 Jun 10 @ 9:45 am
Thanks for the reply Jeremk, but that did not seem to work. I have VU metering again now with the command you suggest, but the meter still rolls back to 0 when play is paused.

Any other ideas?

& by the way, where is the option "vu_meter_left" documented in the WIKI?

Posted Sat 05 Jun 10 @ 11:18 am
JeremKPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
all vdj script commands are documented directly in VirtualDJ (Settings Window -> Mapper tab)

Posted Sat 05 Jun 10 @ 4:08 pm
Thanks Jeremk. I found the command syntax in the scripting WIKI. It is: source="deck [x] get beat""

Posted Sat 05 Jun 10 @ 8:46 pm
The Wiki's are great but for a new comer like me they make little sense, could they be made to explain things a little more in detail?? Its hard cause people say its hard to explain or the " I can show you better then tell you" which would be fine but most are 1000's of miles away........so is there a way to explain things in "Average Every Day People Terms"?

Thanks for your time
Huey

Posted Sun 06 Jun 10 @ 3:25 am
Beatbreaker, what are you wanting to do with scripting? Like most all scripting, it is much like any other programming language and only those who have a technical inclination will really be able to take advantage of it. I don't believe you can really teach someone to "understand" because I think just like computer languages, to be good at it, or in this case get the most from the script language, you have to have that inclination.

Luckily I am technical and although I am poor at programming, I can manage enough to get the little things I need done such as in the example of this thread.

Maybe best to just explain as best you can what you are trying to accomplish and I am sure someone here for whom this stuff is easy cheesy will whip up an answer for you in a jiffy. Whether they explain in language you can understand may be another matter (grin).

Posted Sun 06 Jun 10 @ 12:21 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)