Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Wave V.S MP3

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Juice18PRO InfinityMember since 2005
Is there a difference in sound quality between wave 24 bit and mp3 at 192k

Posted Tue 31 May 05 @ 5:38 am
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
some would say yes, but with the white noise levels so high on a dance floor no one is gonna notice. I personally use aac @ 192 with is equal to a mp3 @ 320

Posted Tue 31 May 05 @ 6:46 am
erxonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Mp3s with 192 kbps and higher are good enough to be played @ a club (loud envieroment).

Otherwise there is a HUGE difference, the filesize is the first thing you might notice, which means that 24bit wav stores much much more data without any compression and with full frequency spectrum (in mp3, all frequencies above 17khz are cut).

Posted Tue 31 May 05 @ 1:59 pm
what's your source of that 24bit quality wavs ?

Posted Tue 31 May 05 @ 2:15 pm
I don't trust my ears to differentiate between ( say ) a 320k mp3 and a wav at cd specification. but i do know it's no good us complaining to owners/managers/installers about sound systems unless we are using the best quality sources. With hard drive space being so cheap I can't understand why anyone who has access to the original material, cd or vinyl, would not use it at the highest available quality. I stand to be corrected by forum members who are more knowlegeable about vdj as to whether it handles different file types more competently and that is obviously very relevant to this discussion.

John :-)

Posted Tue 31 May 05 @ 4:01 pm
when you have access to porsche it is not necessary to always rdrive at full speed :-)
90km/h is maybe enough

Posted Tue 31 May 05 @ 4:36 pm
Not sure the analogy holds up, having access to "perfect" music files and then reducing the quality when you don't have to is more like owning a porsche and driving it slowly because you've disconnected half the cylinders

John :-)

Posted Tue 31 May 05 @ 5:18 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)