Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: What is ASIO?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

the question is clear. i dont know what asio is and what change does it make to the sound card?
also, what is Latency? i might not be well informed about it but i wanna know. thanks
waiting for a reply!

Posted Mon 30 May 05 @ 3:18 pm
ASIO (Audio Stream Input/Output), developed by Steinberg, is a cross-platform, multi-channel audio transfer protocol that is being adopted by many of the manufacturers of audio/MIDI sequencing applications. It allows software to have access to the multi-channel capabilities of a wide range of powerful sound cards.
ASIO expands on the basic capabilities of a standard computer sound card, most of which can only provide stereo (two-channel) audio input and output. The ASIO specification defines the interface that manufacturers of professional audio sound cards must use to create an ASIO driver for their hardware. This driver allows the host audio/MIDI application to "see" all of the inputs and outputs available on the sound card. The user can then assign these I/O ports as needed for recording or playback when using an ASIO-compatible software program. This allows the users to record more tracks simultaneously than the previous limitation of two channels imposed by a standard sound card.

latency is the same as delay

Posted Mon 30 May 05 @ 3:37 pm
try looking up these term through google, you will find you answers there. A simple answer is it is one form of audio IO protocol.. which also has to do wiyth latency, which in short is the time required for the audio IO system to process the audiodata..

Posted Mon 30 May 05 @ 3:39 pm
latency in other words is the time difference between when the sound is sent by program to the souncard and when it exits the output of the soundcard.

So if you have big latency, scratch with programme or kil lthe bass you can notice that it is not instant change, but you hear it little later. Using ASIO usually shortens the time between your action, ant the time when it is heard in the speakers.

Posted Mon 30 May 05 @ 4:21 pm
ok thanks for all the posts! i have d/led the asio4all program...i have a soundblaster pci128 3d card...what can i do with all this?

Posted Mon 30 May 05 @ 4:25 pm
asio4all will show you all outputs and inputs and you can map them in the advanced config. If you have a DJ-cdplayer you can download the timecoded mp3, burn the audio cd and connect your cdplayer to the input of the card, and try to control the virtualDJ thru Cd-player

and you can open your computer, takeout the card and train your dog to aport the card,
but be aware of possible boomerang effect, wear a helmet ;-)

Posted Mon 30 May 05 @ 4:31 pm
lol k thanks..peace

Posted Mon 30 May 05 @ 5:16 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)