Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: MPD32 360 Degree Knob Mapping Help

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

ReThinkPRO InfinityMember since 2009
I have a series of knobs on the Akai MPD32 that are 360 Deg knobs and I would to map them to the effect sliders.

The skin that I use has a bank of effects, I use the same 4 knobs to adjust the parameters of the current active effect.

Every time I move the knob, the software makes a jump when the software and hardware do not match. When I map them to my jogs (using $effect modifiers) they are knobs are "relative".

Is there a way to make the knobs act like the jog wheels where the physical location of the knob makes no difference?

Thanks!!

Posted Tue 25 May 10 @ 1:39 pm
intresting, I'm wondering the same thing. Although it still jumps for me even when using sliders. I thought I read something about this and I dont think there is a way around it but lets see what the experts say.
Huey

Posted Tue 25 May 10 @ 1:46 pm
DJ PhatsoPRO InfinityHercules Support TeamMember since 2005

Posted Tue 25 May 10 @ 2:41 pm
Taken from the link provided:

Encoders
If the encoder sends messages for increments and decrements of its position, you can defines it with a <encoder> element, with the following properties:
- cc: the MIDI cc
- inverted: (optional) set to "true" if the jog is inverted
- zero: set the cc value that represents zero. For a jog that sends 0x01 for forward movement and 0x7F for rewind, set this to "0" (default). For a jog that sends 0x41 for forward movement and 0x3F for rewind, set this to "0x40".
- max: (optional) specifies the value at which the encoder wraps

If the encoder sends messages with its absolute position, you can defines it with a <fullencoder> element, with the following properties:
- cc: the MIDI cc
- inverted: (optional) set to "true" if the jog is inverted
- full: set to the number of steps sent while performing a full rotation (by default 128)
- mask: (optional) set a bitmask to apply to the cc value

Im not in front of the MPD32, I will see if I can make heads or tails out of the xml file.

Posted Tue 25 May 10 @ 4:41 pm
Well I am not quite sure how to "map" the encoder in the xml file. After adding <encoder midi="0x16", max="127" />, assuming that the "max" element is the wrap point, the knob still acts the same. The MPD32 is not recognized by VDJ so I am forced to use the Generic MIDI wrapper. Any an all help is much appreciated. Thanks!!

Posted Wed 26 May 10 @ 12:08 am
Are you able to do it with the Generic MIDI wrapper?? If so what is the script your using?? Trying to get this meself, lol.

Huey

Posted Wed 26 May 10 @ 1:32 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Can you provide the text from your 'definition' file ... the whole text, not just the lines you are working on.

Also, you should read the definition documentation again ... max is the max value sent not the wrapping point. zero (which be default is 0) is the wrapping point and you should not half to define this usually for an endless encoder/knob.

But, please provide your whole definition file text....

Posted Wed 26 May 10 @ 7:33 am
<Bump>

Anyone? Im diggin the MPD and this is the only issue I have with it.

Posted Fri 28 May 10 @ 2:17 pm

Posted Fri 28 May 10 @ 2:50 pm
If the encoder knob sends absolute position values going from 0 through to 127 then you will need to use <fullencoder>, otherwise you would use <encoder>

If it send two different CC's for each movement, then the encoder may be 14-bit instead of normal 7-bit (Allowing greater precision.)

14-bit CC's can be mapped as follows:

<encoder cc="0xAA" ccmsb="0xBB" name="ENCODER_NAME" />

Where AA is the LSB CC and BB is the MSB CC.

Posted Sat 29 May 10 @ 2:07 pm
When I put the knobs to INC/DEC they output five CCs, two of which are duplicates. VDJ still does not recognize them with your <encoder> line. I'll see what I can do and post my findings.

Thanks JP

Posted Sun 30 May 10 @ 6:05 pm

Posted Tue 01 Jun 10 @ 6:25 pm
layzi66PRO InfinityMember since 2010
if anyone could PLEASE help me out i got the mpd32 today but vdj doesnt recongnize it! i want to use it for launching fx and samples etc if anyone has any advise i really would appreciate this

Posted Wed 16 Jun 10 @ 6:12 pm
Hey layzi66,

In my 11th post in this topic, there is the definition and the mapper. Copy and paste them and save as .xml. Put the Def file in the Devices folder and the mapper in the Mappers folder. Use the Vyzek to map the CC controls to what is specified in the Def. You will have to convert all the numbers from Hexadecimal to decimal.

Cheers brotha!!

Posted Wed 16 Jun 10 @ 11:37 pm
ReThink wrote :
Hey layzi66,

In my 11th post in this topic, there is the definition and the mapper. Copy and paste them and save as .xml. Put the Def file in the Devices folder and the mapper in the Mappers folder. Use the Vyzek to map the CC controls to what is specified in the Def. You will have to convert all the numbers from Hexadecimal to decimal.

Cheers brotha!!

okay i did the first part i put them in the folders , i open the vyzek how do i map the cc controls i am a newbie at this could you walk me through this does the mpd have to be connected etc? i really appreciate your help

Posted Thu 17 Jun 10 @ 1:19 am
also this might be a big thing do i need a sound card? or like midi to usb type thing to get some sound out?

Posted Thu 17 Jun 10 @ 1:29 am
I need help creating a definition file for my mpd32 to control the endless encoders. Rethink seemed to have got it but I cant seem to find it or get started

Posted Thu 10 Dec 15 @ 7:04 pm
Because it's not a natively supported controller, you'll need to buy a Pro Infinity license (or a monthly subscription Pro license) to use the Akai MPD32.

Once you become a registered Pro user, you will be able to see the post in this thread which contains the mapping.

Posted Thu 10 Dec 15 @ 7:52 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)