Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Lyrics display with Virtual DJ - hopefully a very basic question, easily answered !! :-)

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I recently purchased VirtualDJ Home. I think it's a great product.

I use it in my restaurant/bar to queue up a group of MP3s that will play over my house speaker system. I connect my laptop via USB to a USB audio box, when then outputs to my amplifier. The setup works great. I've been doing this for about a week now, and get many compliments about my improved music system.

To make this even better, I would like for lyrics to be displayed on my large screen TV. I have a very preliminary knowledge of karaoke files (I know they exist), but not much more. I have 1,000 MP3s that are my house music, but no karaoke music files.

Is it possible (maybe only by going to Virtual DJ Pro ?) for me to add lyrics to my system and then display those lyrics on the TV, while the corresponding MP3 is playing ?

I can obtain the lyrics via the internet. I can put them separately in text files.

So, then I would need software to synchronize each MP3 file with the specified lyrics text file. Does Virtual DJ do that? Then I would need a video output of the lyrics to a TV. Does Virtual DJ do that ?

I really like the operation of Virtual DJ, and would rather not get separate karaoke software. I don't want to be a full-time DJ. I don't mind spending a bunch of time getting it all set up. But then I would like for the system to automatically mix the MP3s (as Virtual DJ does) based on my playlists, while sending a text-based lyrics display to my TV. All of this, without constant human interaction.

Comments and advice, please...

Thanks,

Clark711

Posted Tue 25 May 10 @ 12:49 pm
USE KARAOKE TRACKS !!

Posted Tue 25 May 10 @ 4:52 pm
>>> USE KARAOKE TRACKS !!!

OK, what is that? I Googled that term and had a zillion generic hits.

Is that part of VirtualDJ ?

Posted Tue 25 May 10 @ 6:12 pm
I dont do "Karaoke" but I think they are called "CD+G"...............Look for DJ RUDEDOG in the forums, hes the man you wanna see about Karaoke. Hope that helps.
Huey

Posted Tue 25 May 10 @ 6:24 pm
I appreciate the replies, but it appears that I've struck out.

My hope was to have a way, within VirtualDJ, to display lyrics on my large screen TV.

Apparently not.

Posted Wed 26 May 10 @ 6:57 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Yes, you can.

What you are talking about is effectively the playing of karaoke files.

VirtualDJ supports this, and will display the lyrics of those files on the video output.

Posted Wed 26 May 10 @ 9:12 am
As to building them yourself, this is not a feature of VDJ...
Since their are multiple companies that already make these tracks for DJ's, their is not much call for people to spend thousands of hours making them themselves..

example only (I neither have used nor endorse the below link)
www.buykaraokedownloads.com

Posted Wed 26 May 10 @ 9:52 am
Thanks, Guys...

I now have an answer. I don't particularly like the answer, but heck, that's life....

I do appreciate knowing how to proceed, since I do have an answer.

I have about 2,000 MP3 files, of which I normally play about 150 or so. To me, it would be much simpler to capture the lyrics and put them in text files, rather than downloading 150 new karaoke files.

Appreciate the feedback.

Posted Fri 28 May 10 @ 1:05 pm
OK, I'm possibly beating a dead horse here, but gotta say this...

I would like the original artist singing the song, with lyrics displayed. AFAIK, Karaoke does not do that. ?? Karaoke does not have the original vocals, right? Just the music, and possibly supporting vocals?

I would like for guests to be able to softly sing along if they wish, at their tables or stool. They could look at the lyrics on the screen if they forgot the words. Besides, people need something to look at when in a bar.

This would also allow the Karaoke DJ to mix the Karaoke MP3 with the original MP3, if desired. A weak singer could be supported by the original artist's vocals, and therefore get confidence and get singing. Then the original vocal track could be mixed out with the Karaoke track mixed in, allowing the Karaoke singer to take over.

Posted Fri 28 May 10 @ 6:51 pm
Standard MP3+G Karaoke is just the music only with backing vocals and the lyrics displayed on screen (These will change colour in time to when the words should be sung.)

You could create a full song version by doing the following:

• Unzip the Karaoke MP3+G file - This will give you the music .mp3 and the lyrics .cdg files.

• Open the MP3 in an audio editor such as Audacity (Free)

• Find out how much silence is at the beginning of the track (Number of seconds.)

• Open the normal music version of the same song (I.e: Full vocals) and use the audio editor to insert exactly the same amount of silence at the beginning.

• Save the resulting song over original Karaoke .mp3 (Make a backup first.)

• ZIP the files again.

You may also be able to find multiplexed Karaoke songs. These have the lead vocal on one channel, so you can cut them out and turn it into a Karaoke song by using the balance control.

Posted Sun 30 May 10 @ 1:57 pm

Posted Sun 30 May 10 @ 2:48 pm

Posted Mon 31 May 10 @ 4:47 am
Thanks very much for the additional information.

I think I finally have a course of action. I did as one member suggested and edited the MP3 file of an artist to cut off about 10 seconds of dead space upfront so that the lyrics from another CDG file then matched the actual singing of the vocalist. I packed that MP3 file back into the ZIP file and lyrics/voice matched up fine.

I then ran into a similar problem. On other MP3 files, I wanted to add a long title to the CDG file, so that it displayed until the audio lined up with the lyrics. I've looked at a couple of CDG editiors to see if I could open an existing CDG file, copy its title frame, and then paste it back (or lengthen its display time). So far, I haven't found that.

I tried CDG Creator Pro, and don't think it does that. I'll try the other one mentioend.

Thanks...

Posted Mon 31 May 10 @ 2:17 pm
I JUST GOT HOME VRSION OF VDJ WHEN I TRY A KARAOKE SONG THE SCREEN APPEARS BUT NO LYRICS.HOW CAN I GET THE LYRICS ON THE SCREEN? ALSO I CAN'T MAKE THE SCREEN FULL SIZE ,I'M HAVING MY GRANDAUGHTER A BIRTHDAY PARTY AND SHE WANTS TO KARAOKE.

Posted Fri 05 Aug 11 @ 1:15 pm
Have you went to your video settings and set it up to show the videos

Posted Sat 06 Aug 11 @ 12:24 am
You will need the full VirtualDJ Professional to be able to do full-screen karaoke and video: http://www.virtualdj.com/buy/index.html

Home and other limited versions are limited to a small video window only.

Posted Sat 06 Aug 11 @ 12:50 pm

Posted Thu 19 Nov 15 @ 4:50 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)