Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Tips for a new xp10 user.

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I should be getting the first of my 2 new xp10's tommorow. Any tips from you experienced users that might not be obvious right away?

Posted Tue 24 May 05 @ 2:35 am
BarglerPRO InfinityMember since 2004
No tips needed, really. You plug them in, windows will recognize them and install the drivers without you doing a thing. You'll have them up and running within 20 minutes of opening the box.

I hope you enjoy them. I think mine are great.

Bargler

Posted Tue 24 May 05 @ 6:46 am
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
like Bergler said... you do not need any cd if you have windows XP. just plug them in and enjoy mixing ;)

Dj Nikki

Posted Tue 24 May 05 @ 11:57 am
hey djs!! i am planning to buy the xp10 and vdj software....is it worth it? does it make djing easier? and does it improve the scratching technique?

Posted Tue 24 May 05 @ 1:27 pm
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
two words: buy them!

it is absolutely worth it! i have XP10s for a long time. i can't live without them :)
it made my mixing 100% easier than only with keyboard and mouse. i own DjConsole too.

scratching is almost like with vinyl.

You won't be disappointed. First of all buy VDJ. it is the best program!

Dj Nikki

Posted Tue 24 May 05 @ 1:42 pm
Hopefully I'll post a mix later, show you how a newbie with only djconsole experience sounds. Might be good, might be bad. Dear god i hope its not bad...

Posted Tue 24 May 05 @ 4:57 pm
The more I thought about it, here are some tips:

1. Make sure nothing is touching the platter when you boot the machine. It calibrates at startup.
2. When windows detects the new internal soundcards, make sure it doesn't set their volume to a low level. I believe they will be set to half volume by default, but this is easily changed in the windows volume control.
3. Test them the first day during business hours. You might have to run out to a computer store for a $15 powered USB hub if your machine can't power them sufficiently straight from the motherboard USB ports.
4. Make yourself use the XP10 arrow keys to select your tracks. You'll want to reach for the mouse, but resist the temptation. Soon, you'll break the habit and you'll be spinning entire sets without ever touching a mouse or keyboard (much more of a pro look for club gigs).
5. Give your DJ Console to a friend to begin their addiction...you won't be using it anymore.
6. Roll up your sleeves: The pitch sliders are LOOSE and a set can go sour in a heartbeat if you don't notice your sleeve has brushed a pitch slider into a train wreck.
7. Prepare for some frustration if you are accustomed to vinyl. I was never really a vinyl person, but those that are and have used my setup find themselves unconsciously doing things their turntables have taught them, but are not needed with the XP10 (pushing the platter as you drop in a track, for instance. Great skill for some turntables that don't come to speed instantly, but obviously not needed with XP10)

Bargler

Posted Tue 24 May 05 @ 10:10 pm
I was wondering how the XP10 disc compares to the CJ1000 disc?? from the images it seems to me they are somewhat smaller, but handle more or less the same..

> 7. Prepare for some frustration if you are accustomed to vinyl.

Funny you bring this up.. I've been brouht up on vinyl and while I can use them I always missed the friction and resistance feel the SL1200 has on the CDJ1000. I now own a set of Technics SL-DZ1200s and for vinyl jocks those handle just like the SL turntables.

I also find it extremely amusing to see DJs not used to vinyl struggle with the rotating platter and feel of the technics CD TTs, while true vinyl jocks love them..

But seeing how the XP10 seems to have a user interface much like the CDJ1000 it would be a good alternative for the smaller 'VDJ only gigs..'

Posted Tue 24 May 05 @ 11:32 pm
My god, i LOVE it. I LOOOOOVVEEE It.
and so much control. There are 2 shift buttons i didnt know about which expand its programmability. Im going to set the ptich bend to video mixer slider under shift 2, and to nothing in shift 1 (so i can set it back to the middle). My main problem right now is that im using the techniques is learned for semi-scratching on my hercules on the xp10, which arent neccesary anymore. They involved overspinning when scratching backwards to make up for the fact that you cant quite stop the record etc. Now that i have more preciese control, its hard to forget my imprecise habits. Oh well. Mixing has been a blast, im starting to think i didnt even need 2 xp10s. Does switching to asio mode make a difference on scratch latency? I think i detect a bit, but can't qutie be sure as it may still just be my technique isnt up to par yet. I'll post a mix next time practice if anyone's interested as i would have done this time, but got carried away.

bottom line xp10==vdj heaven.

Posted Wed 25 May 05 @ 8:55 pm
In a month, you'll be very happy you have that second XP10.

You see, you'll start to get used to how awesome they are and begin experimenting with beat juggling and all kinds of turntable fun stuff. =)

Bargler

Posted Wed 25 May 05 @ 10:03 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)