Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: How to make DJ name samples?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I'm new to djing and just do it for fun at local raves. I thought it would be pretty cool to create a few samples like "DJ CJ in the mix" and stuff like that, just wondering how you guys would go about doing it? Use a mic an do it your self and add some effects? If any one on here is good at making this kinda stuff, let me know!

Posted Sat 27 Mar 10 @ 4:13 pm
DjButlaPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Well, there are always various ways to accomplish this. That being said, the choice is up to you. I know that sounds like a non-answer, but here's how I've done a few of mine:

Sony Acid Pro - Recorded it into the program and edited the eq and pitch until I got it just where i wanted it to be.

Korg KP3 - Flipped the MIC switch on. Recorded a few tries with a few effects(LFO, Pan+Echo) re-looped it through the sample banks a few times with some more effects(Pitch, Distort, Vocoder) and saved them as .wav samples or just kept them in the KORG sample bank to trigger at any time.

VDJ - In essence, the same process can be done with virtual Dj as was completed with the Korg KP3. In the options for recording, make sure that the option for Mic+Line Recording is selected, so that once you want to record something with your mic input in the mix, it's actually picked up( I actually did a 2 hour set recording and thought my mic input was turned on, AWKWARD!!!! But i was able to edit out the silences later with ACID PRO and pop in announcements and effects before I put out the mixes to the masses).

Also, understand that before you even get into recording your samples, you have to be prepared to match them with your style/music. That may strongly determine your sample type in the area of which effects you're going to use, even down to what you'll say. A DJ Name sample can take me a minimum of 3 hours to do because of how I want it to sound; Decent quality, absolute clarity, and fitting to my style and the music that i'm playing at the time. For example, If playing Usher - Daddy's Home (Hey Daddy), why would i play a DJ CLU3 volumed shout out sample dropping my name IF that is not my style? Every one's style is different, consider what works for you...

P.S. - What's wrong with using a mic during live performances?

Posted Wed 31 Mar 10 @ 9:47 pm
your are now rockin with dj bibbz get ready become sexified

Posted Sun 25 Nov 12 @ 5:13 pm
i need to set my dj sample i dnt knw how to do it

Posted Tue 02 Jul 13 @ 9:20 pm
pls dnt txt spk n ths frm.

What do you mean by "set my dj sample"?

Posted Wed 03 Jul 13 @ 5:11 am
RobRoyPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2012

Posted Sun 14 Jul 13 @ 1:51 pm

Posted Sat 20 Sep 14 @ 4:25 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
9 year old thread that's a bit of a magnet for spam like 2 word posts, I think we can lock this.

Posted Mon 22 Jul 19 @ 10:35 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)