Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: headphones and yellow dots

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hello all! Good day to each of you.

I have been trying to get some info regarding VDJ and the use of headphones. I am using my laptop and a Maya44 to hook up to my mixer for dj work. I have a headphone jack on laptop and on Maya44. What I want to do is to listen to the next song that I want to play while another song is being listened to by the crowd. When I do it both songs began to play over the system like I was mixing them. When I right click on the song it will play but it does not come through my laptop or Maya44 but at least it does not come across the sound system.

Next question please. What is the difference between a song in my database that has a yellow dot and one that has a white dot? Sometimes the same song listed twice.

Oldie but Goodie
djkaraok

Posted Sat 21 May 05 @ 8:50 pm
erxonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Hi!

About the yellow dots, if you look closely it's actually a black question mark on yellow circle, indicating that the track hasn't been analized (played) yet - meaning VDJ's database has no gain/bpm/cue info about it. The red cross indicates that track has already been played in that VDJ session, and with new version 2.1 there's another 'light grenish blue' sign, indicating that 'track' is actually a video (that can also be played).

I'm not sure how to set up a maya (I don't own it), but since you probably don't use an external mixer, try the 4.1 setting where you can than choose 4 different (2Ă—stereo) outputs from your sound card - one for speakers, one for headphones.

Hope that helps,
erXon

Posted Sat 21 May 05 @ 9:36 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003

Posted Sat 21 May 05 @ 10:36 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Jerry (djkaraok) --

Let's go back to our phone conversation --
you have your Maya Configured using the 'Advance Configuration' in VirtualDJ.

Left Deck is assigned to Maya 0 & 1 (1&2)
Right Deck is assigned to Maya 2 & 3 (3&4)
Headphones should be set to your internal sound card of your laptop.

Now, with those set and your headphones plugged into your laptop you will be able to listen to which ever deck is selected by clicking on the (Default Skin) 1 or 2 for the left or right deck. Which ever one is GREEN is the deck that you could listen too as long as the crossfader is on the opposite deck [ the one actively playing to your system ]. Don't leave the crossfader in the center or you will experience what you described which is the deck you are trying to listen to plays out to your system.

Jerry, Hope this helps.
If not, call me. We can walk through it.

Chris [cstoll]

FYI for all others - Jerry's mixer is an old mixer that doesn't have a CUE or Headphone jack to listen to the specific channels. [If I remember correctly from our conversation.]

Posted Sun 22 May 05 @ 6:11 am
Right again Cstoll:

As far as the mixer is concerned it is older. Cstoll in VDJ we had to use the advance setting and not the ASIO setting and I get an error msg each time I boot up VDJ. But it still works.

I am not with my laptop so I am not positive but I know that since we used the advanced that the 4 outs of the Maya44 each is set to 0,1 and 2,3 not 1,2 and 3,4. In fact without it in front of me I am not sure that it is even Maya 0, Maya 1 etc but it probably is.

I have the gig again tonight so I will play with the system and see what happens with the headphones. Ok so if I have a playlist going and it automatically loads one deck while the other is playing after finishing a song then I could listen to the other song if the slider is towards the deck that is playing currently correct? It seems like when I hit the play on deck 2 in order to hear it through headphones while playing deck 1 with the playlist that it stops playing what is on deck 1 and the slider goes to deck 2 and you only hear deck 2 out to my speakers. I am about to buy me a receiver so I can practice at home because the only time I get to hear the sound is when I have it connected to my mixer and large speakers. The speakers are so big that after 3 heart attacks I can no longer lift them around. But if I had a small receiver and small speakers I could at least get it to work at home. Maybe next week.

Did anyone have an answer for how to get a song that is cued on a deck while the other deck is playing a different song and you are using the playlist feature. Take the song off of the deck that is not playing that was automatically added due to using the playlist feature so it can be added back to the playlist. i.e. I am using the playlist so I select 5 songs to play and someone comes in and ask for a special song. I still want my song to play at some point but now I want to cue the song requested as the very next song while the song that was playing continues to play. Then the next song played is automatically the requested song put on deck 1 that I cued up. Then I would like the next song to play to be the one that I replaced with the special request so that it keeps my playlist order. The way I see it once a song is automatically loaded from your playlist and then replace it with a different song that you have to search your database again and drag it to the playlist to have it cue again. Should be able to drag it off the deck and put it directly into the playlist cue.

Have I confused all of you? Sorry not meaning to. Thanks again for your help. Thanks especailly to Chris aka Cstoll for all your help.

Oldie but Gooodie

djkaraok

Posted Wed 25 May 05 @ 12:16 am
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004

Posted Wed 25 May 05 @ 1:14 am
Thanks for the manual info djcel.

Cstoll - ok since I attached my Maya44 tonight to my laptop without attaching the cables from Maya44 to the external mixer, before loading VDJ, there was NO error ASIO msg when I loaded VDJ. So it must give error msg if not attached to your computer. duh! Sorry to bother you.

My config has advanced setting with Maya44 usb audio ASIO driver - out 0 Maya44 for each channel but the out is Maya44 0, 1, 2, 3.

The headphones are audio device on usb bus. This seemed wrong since it would look to a usb for the headphones so I changed the setting to "primary device driver" "left", "right". That might have been the problem. I will try that.

Thanks again all. I can't wait until I get the receiver and speakers at home to play with. This working the software once a week will take forever to learn the fun stuff.

Oldie but Goodie

djkaraok

Posted Wed 25 May 05 @ 1:44 am
Horray!

Ok now I got the headphones to work while playing another song. So now I can hear my next song while the other is playing. This works just fine with the playlist. KOOL! STUFF ! Now I can try some other things since I just hooked up a PC computer speaker set to the headphone in on the Maya44 hardware and I connected the headphones to my laptop and heard both songs each playing individually over the speakers and the headphones. Now that I can hear something I can play more. hehe!

Okay everyone I get to go to work soon and do my gig. My next major move is to get the id tags on all of my songs and I will try some of the suggested software. Then I will rip my cd's to my external hard drive and put them in my database and be swingn'. The next major step is to have the karaoke songs ripped from my karaoke cdg's and try to use them for a show. FUN FUN FUN!

Bye for now.

With a song in my heart

Oldie but Goodie

djkaraok

Posted Wed 25 May 05 @ 2:18 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)