Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Transition from PCDJ

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

PMDJ JTHome userMember since 2010
Hello All,
Forgive me if this has been answered in previous posts. I’m a long time PCDJ user. In fact so long I’m using the old Red 5.2 for those who are familiar with PCDJ. Basically I need to confirm that all of my current hardware is fully compatible with VDJ. Specifically I have the Gigaport AG and DAC-2. If they are in fact compatible, will the Gigaport AG require ASIO drivers to be installed? With PCDJ it’s plug-n-play and doesn’t require anything. I’m assuming the DAC-2 will still need its drivers installed. Thanks for the input and any special tips to make the transition a smooth one!

PS. I also have a DAC-3 which I was never able to use with my old software. Is that a better option than the DAC-2?

Posted Mon 08 Mar 10 @ 9:17 am
Both the Gigaport AG and DAC-2 can be used.

To use the DAC-2, you will need to enable serial devices by going to CONFIG -> Mappers, clicking on the button to the right of the drop-down list and then ticking this option. Then click on the button again and choose to rescan for connected devices.

If you have a DAC-3 then you may be better off using this. It is USB rather than serial and has more buttons.

If you are looking for a new dual CD-style controller, then the Denon DN-HC4500 is highly recommended. It also has its own built-in sound card, freeing up a USB port on your computer and more simpler setup (Less wires.)

Posted Mon 08 Mar 10 @ 12:20 pm
ewitlesPRO InfinityMember since 2006
You will be VERY pleased w/ latest VDJ and a DAC-3. I was RED from 2001 - 2007.

Went VDJ for 2008/2009 from a DMC-1 to now a DAC-3. From a WT192L to a Gigaport HD (and AG).

Posted Mon 08 Mar 10 @ 12:55 pm
Thanks for responding so quickly! The one thing I want to be sure of which wasn't directly answered is about the need ( or not need ) of ASIO drivers. Do I simply use my Gigaport AG as a plun-n-play device which VDJ will recognize? With my old PCDJ set-up it was p-n-p using chan 1/2 for deck A and chan 5/6 for deck B. Outside of that I'm ready to dig in. It's great knowing you folks are here if needed.

Posted Mon 08 Mar 10 @ 7:52 pm
The other great thing with VDJ is any keyboard shortcuts you got used to using with PCDJ, you can map the exact same shortcuts..

Posted Mon 08 Mar 10 @ 8:35 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
PMDJ JT wrote :
Thanks for responding so quickly! The one thing I want to be sure of which wasn't directly answered is about the need ( or not need ) of ASIO drivers. Do I simply use my Gigaport AG as a plun-n-play device which VDJ will recognize?

Windows will need the drivers installing otherwise it won't see the card and neither will VDJ. The Gigaport drivers include ASIO support.

Posted Tue 09 Mar 10 @ 1:36 pm
Thanks for your response...see that's were I'm confused. When using PCDJ Red 5.2 you installed NOTHING. Per their set-up you just plug in the Gigaport AG. In fact they said in their set-up to make sure to NOT install the cd which came with the sound card and more importantly to NOT to install ASIO. Windows XP recognized it just fine and it works great without any addition drivers, ASIO, etc. Will VDJ require something different to use the same Gigaport AG?? Thanks.

Posted Wed 10 Mar 10 @ 6:34 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
If Windows recognises the card then you can use it within VDJ. If it doesn't you will need to install drivers. I know Windows XP doesn't recognise my Maya44 USB at all unless I've installed drivers first.

Posted Wed 10 Mar 10 @ 8:10 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)