Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: help and advice on 'all-in-one' controllers for beginner

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Good Afternoon

i have been using virtual DJ for the past few months on and off but now am very interested in buying an 'all-in-one controller'.

I currently use VDJ on my DELL XPS M1530 laptop which i have connected to a Creative sub and speakers.

I have been researching 'all-in-one' controller and feel thats the best route to go down. I have heard that either the Hercules RMX or steel are ment to be very reliable and good value for money. Does any one recommend anything different?

Also i have a few question that hopefuly some of you will be able to answer.

1) Is the controller as simple as plugging the USB into my Laptop and working straight away? If there any other leads/software i need to buy?

2) i am aware that you need 2 sound cards in order to preview a track through headphones but im not entirely sure if my laptop does or not. I know that it has 2 head phone ports on the front but not sure if that would work.

3) If it turns out that i dont have dual sound card would it be better to buy the steel along with an external sound card or to just buy the RMX? (as i understand that it comes with a built in sound card).

4) Once i get the controller set up to my laptop is it just a simple matter of connecting my speakers to it?

Would be great for any feed back!

cheers!

Rob

Posted Fri 26 Feb 10 @ 7:34 am
http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/index.html

check the "Hardware Controller" section, lots of useful information.

Hercules is probably the best "budget" controller. But keep researching, knowledge is power.

Posted Fri 26 Feb 10 @ 8:54 am
Hi Rob,

Hope these answers help...

The first thing you have to understand is the difference between the RMX and the Steel. The RMX contains a 5.1 sound card which means you can have 2 distinctive channels - one for output the other for preview/cueing.

If your laptop has a 5.1 soundcard and you can assign the jack sockets, then you coudl go with the Steel.

If you plan to take youself out and about and start playing in front of a crowd, then I woudl recommend the RMX over the steel as all the connections are beter prepared for connecting to external equipment other than mini-jacks!

To answer your questions:

robbo1988 wrote :
1) Is the controller as simple as plugging the USB into my Laptop and working straight away? If there any other leads/software i need to buy?

USB cable provided. Steel would use your existing sound setup. The RMX is designe d to use IT as the soundcard. You would plug your speakers in to the RMX using the RCA/Phone 1&2 connections. So you may need a Phono to Mini-jack lead as Mmost creative speakers have mini-jack input.

robbo1988 wrote :
2) i am aware that you need 2 sound cards in order to preview a track through headphones but im not entirely sure if my laptop does or not. I know that it has 2 head phone ports on the front but not sure if that would work.

As explained above you can go with two basic sound cards or a multi-channel 5.1 sound card. The RMX has one of these built in so makes it best value for money.

robbo1988 wrote :
3) If it turns out that i dont have dual sound card would it be better to buy the steel along with an external sound card or to just buy the RMX? (as i understand that it comes with a built in sound card).

Yup RMX over Steel in this case...

robbo1988 wrote :
4) Once i get the controller set up to my laptop is it just a simple matter of connecting my speakers to it?

Steel = Speakers stay in laptop
RMX = Speakers plug in to RMX - Also headphones in to RMX

Hope this helps,

Roy

Posted Fri 26 Feb 10 @ 9:23 am
OK guys, cheers for the help. Looks like ill be buying the RMX tommorow :)

Just a couple of quick querstions:

I mentioned in my previous post that i have a set of creative speakers, infact i dont (my bad) there actually LOGITECH which at the moment i am plugging straight into my laptop (the connection is a standard laptop headphone socket, sorry not entirely sure what its called!) Can someone please tell me the exact adaptor lead i need in order to connect my logitech speakers to the RMX (I realise i might need a 'phono' lead but not entirely sure what they are???)

Also, wot version of VDJ comes with the console and is it a trial? how much is it to upgrade???

Plus what type of headphones are the best to buy? I have heard some are better than others?

Cheers in advance for any help!!

Rob

Posted Sat 27 Feb 10 @ 6:45 pm
Sorry just one more question..

I maybe looking into DJ'ing at various parties in halls etc. how easy is it to set up to speakers/amps?? and how reliable would you say the thing is?

ta!! x

Posted Sat 27 Feb 10 @ 6:49 pm
robbo1988 wrote :
I mentioned in my previous post that i have a set of creative speakers, infact i dont (my bad) there actually LOGITECH which at the moment i am plugging straight into my laptop (the connection is a standard laptop headphone socket, sorry not entirely sure what its called!) Can someone please tell me the exact adaptor lead i need in order to connect my logitech speakers to the RMX (I realise i might need a 'phono' lead but not entirely sure what they are???)

The cmmon name for this is "mini-jack" - You will need a stereo phone (RCA) to female Mini-Jack lead. Fairly straight forward lead to buy.

robbo1988 wrote :
Also, wot version of VDJ comes with the console and is it a trial? how much is it to upgrade???

RMX comes with the Limited Edition version of VDJ. Single skin and limited configurations. However, register your VDJ serial number to qualify for a cheap upgrade to Pro and then get access to all the extra skins, plug-ins and samples as well as FREE upgrades for LIFE!!

robbo1988 wrote :
Plus what type of headphones are the best to buy? I have heard some are better than others?

Many people will quote brands/model numbers, I suggest going in to a store an trying some out. Personally I have pair of Citronic headphones. Good quality and good frequency response and work well in a "live" environment where music is LOUD!!!

Make sure you try DJ headphones and not home hifi headphones as these will have better adjustable and moveable (swivling) cups...

Cheers,

Roy

Posted Sun 28 Feb 10 @ 2:02 pm
robbo1988 wrote :
Sorry just one more question..

I maybe looking into DJ'ing at various parties in halls etc. how easy is it to set up to speakers/amps?? and how reliable would you say the thing is?

ta!! x

It can be as easy (or as hard) as you like. Plus you'll need to consider your light show too...

I suggest you find your local DJ retailer and start to make friends ;-) If he's any good, he'll not only help you pick the right gear but over time will help you improve and grow your show.

For example, you may find it easier to hire amp/speakers/lights until you have some regular work. You could try a few different combinations when hiring which will help you decide what to buy eventually...

When I got back in to DJing I hired for a couple of years when work was patchy and before deciding on what I needed.

Hope this helps,

Roy

Posted Sun 28 Feb 10 @ 2:06 pm
cheers for all the advice gadget man, should be receiving this tomorow in the post! cant wait woop!!

Mite need to get back to you on the setup if i reach problems!!

Cheers agen man

Rob

Posted Mon 01 Mar 10 @ 12:41 pm
Please do...

PM me if necessary. Where in the UK are you?

Roy

Posted Wed 03 Mar 10 @ 4:37 pm
Just to let you know installation was fine. hassel free. drivers and sofware easy to install and worked first time.

Just a quick one,

If i upgrade my current verison of VDJ5 VDC to PRO 6.0, would i beable to download the software again, free of charge if i decide to re-instal vista? or does it only allow for the one download?

cheers

Rob.

p.s. im from Essex btw Roy :)

Posted Thu 04 Mar 10 @ 8:46 am
Robbo,

Once you register your software against your profile, you will unlock your download centre. Plus you need to register your LE version anyway so you can apply for your discount upgrade to Pro...

From the download area you will always be able to download the latest LE version against your RMX serial number and the latest Pro version against your Pro serial number once you've upgraded.

So yes, you will always have access to the latest version.

I'm in Essex too. Whereabouts? If your close enough you could come see me play any weekend.

Cheers,

Roy

Posted Thu 04 Mar 10 @ 6:13 pm
im from colch mate. Wot about urself. Startin to get th hang of it now. Just tryin to get used to using th cue button. Might need some help with that! Whar music u into? Do u dj in bars? Clubs?

Posted Fri 05 Mar 10 @ 3:43 am
I'm just down the road in Clacton.

I'm resident at The Boardwalk on Clacton Pier. I'm there every Friday and Saturday!

However I have a few nights off due to a pre-booked private gig this Saturday and then away at a Soul/Motown weekender next weekend!!!

A good friend of mine has just started DJing in Qube in Colchester. He's there every Saturday - but again not for the next two weeks - due to prior commitments.

I'm at The Boardwalk tonight and expect it to be fairly quiet so would have more time to chat. Pop down if you like. I'm there from 9pm onwards.

Roy

Posted Fri 05 Mar 10 @ 9:18 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)