Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Partitioning Questions

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I am hoping this may be my last question for info before I am finally on my way to testing with my new Mac Book Pro. I have been through plenty of laptops with their own fair share of issues, and now have finally forked out the dough for a 15.4 mac book pro. I am having the hard drive swapped out by an authorized dealer to maintain my warranty. It is already cloned with my original hard drive configuration. Here is what I plan to do:

1) install Windows 7 via bootcamp so that if I need to do anything "Windows", I am set.
2) setup a 3rd partition for my music files.

I am currently looking at doing 50gb for MAC and Windows 7 OS partitions (each), and 400gb for my data partition. The question I have for those who are doing bootcamp and MAC OS X gig configurations... do you have your Music on a 3rd partition like this? If so, what format should I use so that I can read and write to it from both Windows and OS X? I know NTFS is read only for MAC. Do I use MS DOS? I know Windows cant write to the MAC formats.

Any help would be good.. but not finding the right combo just yet.

Posted Fri 19 Feb 10 @ 11:11 pm
I may have found the answer to my own question... I had thought that FAT32 could only support volumes/partitions up for 32gb, and I was looking for a 400gb partition. Therefore I could easily put my data on a FAT 32.

However with software I found I could make Windows 7 read/write to/from a HFS+ drive for OS X. Will VDJ be able to read music from that partition in Windows or are those utilities just if you want to read/write to that type of a partition?

FAT32 seems like an inneffective format considerint he side my my partition and amount of data. So I am looking for feedback from those who have had to live it a bit. :)

Posted Fri 19 Feb 10 @ 11:41 pm
I'm kind of interested in the answer to this myself.
I was thinking of running a stripped down version of xp on bootcamp for Virtual DJ Video

Posted Sun 21 Feb 10 @ 2:02 am
I have found there is software out there to allow MAC to write to NTFS, and Windows to r/w to HFS+. But not found out yet if only while browsing via the software if this is true... I can't validate that it works to augment the OS so that all apps can r/w too.

Posted Sun 21 Feb 10 @ 2:20 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)