Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Search DB is too slow...

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

DjeemmHome userMember since 2007
Hey!

I am trialing the VDJ 6 (new years edition thing to be specific) and the one thing I am not happy about is how slow the search DB function is. I use it almost every time so it is very important for me. I don`t think that it is about my computer specs as it is:

Core i7 720
4 GB DDR3 Ram
1 GB Graphics
7200rpm SATA HDD

Is there any reason why this could happen and is there any way to improve this performance.

Thanks...

Posted Mon 11 Jan 10 @ 6:01 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
The search is instant. Have you added your files to the search database?

Posted Mon 11 Jan 10 @ 9:17 am
yeah...added them all to the database..

it is slow in a manner that it almost crashes..(it actually did twice..stopped responding)

why? why? why? lol

Posted Mon 11 Jan 10 @ 9:35 am
What version of windows are you using?

Posted Mon 11 Jan 10 @ 10:59 am
win 7

thanks..

Posted Mon 11 Jan 10 @ 11:56 am
win 7: 32 bit or 64 bit?

and what is your CPU usage at when searching?

plus I'm assuming all you music is on the internal harddrive?

Posted Mon 11 Jan 10 @ 2:26 pm
64 bit...

around %2 - %3 CPU usage

All in HDD

Posted Mon 11 Jan 10 @ 3:15 pm
did you have the LE version on the same computer? How was that working?

Posted Mon 11 Jan 10 @ 6:00 pm
no clean setup....only vdj version ever installed is 6

Posted Mon 11 Jan 10 @ 6:07 pm
Can you install your LE version? and see if the browser search is still just as bad?
thanx!

Posted Mon 11 Jan 10 @ 8:21 pm
I'd like to bump this, as it seems I have a similar problem.

What happens is when I start typing in my search term, after 1-3 characters VDJ stops responding (doesn't crash, music keeps playing, no skipping). CPU usage is low (14%) Task manager reports VDJ "Not Responding".

I've closed VDJ and deleted the database file, and checked to see if there were duplicate database files. I then set the folder I wanted as a favorite and added to search db. Problem persists.

Two possible issues are that this is an external usb drive (not had this problem before on them) and that there are over 12000 tracks in the various subfolders.

Suggestions?

Posted Fri 05 Mar 10 @ 3:40 pm
Make sure you don't include the file date in the searchable fields. I would upgrade to the latest version as it has some fixes related to this.

Posted Sat 06 Mar 10 @ 7:58 am
I am dealing with the same problem, and dealt with it in a different companies software. That problem was the database was too large (175,000+ files) for an instant search to be effective, and I think that's the problem that I am dealing with now. With the other application, we could turn off the instant search and only search after pressing enter/search, but that is not an option in this software.

I have tested it on multiple computers with multiple specs and the same result.

It was problems like this that were causing us to look at this, and other titles.

Posted Wed 17 Mar 10 @ 10:24 am
You're saying the search doesn't respond quickly with only 175000 files? What version, and what search fields are enabled?

Posted Wed 17 Mar 10 @ 12:59 pm
6.0.6, and the search options are Drives, Folders, Artists and Titles. For some reason it seems much better today then it did over the weekend when we were first looking at it.

Posted Wed 17 Mar 10 @ 1:26 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)